New Year Means New Regulation for Texas Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
Received this info from a friend

Texas Animal Health Commission, Box l2966 * Austin, Texas 78711 * (800) 550-8242 * FAX (512) 719-0719 For info, contact Carla Everett, information officer, at 1-800-550-8242, ext. 710, or [email protected]

New Year Means New Regulation for Texas Cattle

Thinking about selling, leasing, bartering or even giving away a breeding bull? On January 1, Texas bulls that undergo a change of ownership (except to slaughter) must be either certified as a virgin bull or be tested first for cattle trichomoniasis, a protozoal disease that can cause cows to abort very early in pregnancy. Infected bulls carry the microscopic "bug" that causes trichomoniasis without any signs and can transmit the single-celled protozoa to cows during breeding.

"There is no effective treatment for bulls, and once infected, they can continue to spread trichomoniasis when they breed," said Dr. Dee Ellis, who, on January 1, will be Texas' new state veterinarian and head of the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC), the state's livestock and poultry health regulatory agency. "Infected cows may clear the infection, but only if they are given rest from breeding for 120-150 days—an expensive option, as a calf crop will be missed. A vaccine also is available to help in the management of infected cows, but it will not prevent infection."

The country's western states have long-standing cattle trichomoniasis regulations. About two years ago, the Texas ranching industry requested similar regulations, to protect against the introduction and the spread of cattle trichomoniasis, or "trich." For months, representatives from the state's ranching, marketing and veterinary industries worked with the TAHC to develop effective regulations to control the disease, which affects herd productivity and an operation's bottom line. In April 2009, the TAHC enacted requirements for bulls entering Texas. In-state regulations were delayed until January 1, 2010.

"For months, we have worked with the Texas cattle industry to inform producers and have participated in many meetings about cattle trichomoniasis and the regulations. More than 600 accredited private veterinarians in Texas have been certified to collect samples for trichomoniasis testing, and we are ready to implement the intrastate regulations for bulls undergoing a change of ownership in Texas," said Dr. Ellis.

Dr. Ellis said the regulations will apply to bulls being sold, traded, leased or undergoing any change of ownership (except for slaughter). The regulations include three basic steps:

Identify the bull. Identification is essential for matching animals with virgin bull certificates or test documents. One form of identification is needed, and it may be an official USDA ear tag, breed registry brand or tattoo, an 840 flap, bangle or an 840 radio frequency identification device. If the bull originated from another state, it may have that state's official state of origin trichomoniasis ear tag (Texas does not have an official trich ear tag). An accredited veterinarian can apply an official USDA ear tag.

Certify virgin bulls. A breeder can certify the bull as a virgin, if the animal was raised away from cows after weaning, and the bull is 24 months of age or younger. A Texas-origin bull's virgin status may be extended to 30 months, if the virgin certificate is signed also by the breeder's accredited veterinarian. Virgin bulls are not required to have a trichomoniasis test prior to change of ownership. Virgin bull certificates are available at no cost on the TAHC web page at http://www.tahc.state.tx.us.

Test older or non-virgin bulls. Bulls older than 30 months or bulls that were maintained with cows after weaning must have a negative trichomoniasis test within 30 days prior to change of ownership. A certified, accredited veterinarian must collect the sample for testing at the Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory. While awaiting test results, which usually takes about a week, the bulls must be kept away from cows. Upon receipt of the negative test results, the animal is ready for change of ownership.

"Breeding bulls that haven't been certified as virgins or tested are considered to be slaughter-only bulls," said Dr. Ellis. "In some cases, however, buyers may want an untested bull, although they may be buying trouble. We have provisions under the regulations for untested bulls to be identified and moved under a TAHC-issued hold order and movement permit. The animal must be isolated from female cattle, and cannot be moved until it is tested within 30 days of purchase at the owner's expense."

"In Texas, two tests are accepted. One is the Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction test, or PCR, which looks for the DNA of the protozoa. Because only one PCR test is needed to detect infection, this may become the preferred method for producers who want to move cattle more quickly. The second acceptable test is the culture test, and it involves looking for the protozoa under a microscope. A series of three culture tests is needed, each conducted at least seven days apart," said Dr. Ellis.

"Because cattle trichomoniasis is a reportable disease, we will be notified regarding test-positive animals," explained Dr. Ellis. "Test-positive bulls may undergo a confirmation test, provided the owner or the accredited, certified veterinarian makes the request within five days of the positive results."

Because there is no effective treatment, infected bulls must go to slaughter within 30 days of confirmation. The remaining bulls in the herd will be held, isolated from female cattle, until they undergo two consecutive negative RT-PCR tests, each conducted at least seven days apart, or three consecutive negative culture tests, with each of the tests conducted at least seven days apart. When they are confirmed negative for trichomoniasis, the bulls remaining in the herd are free to be moved or to be commingled with cows.

"The cattle trichomoniasis regulations can save cattle producers a lot of money in the long run, because this disease greatly affects calf production. If you are obtaining a breeding bull, make sure the animal has been certified as a virgin or was tested—for your herd's sake," said Dr. Ellis. "We will be reviewing the regulations on a yearly basis with an industry working group, to ensure that the rules remain timely and effective."

Texas' trichomoniasis entry requirements for breeding bulls is similar to the intrastate regulations, but allows out-of-state bulls to be certified as virgins only until 24 months of age. Exhibition or competition bulls may enter Texas without a trichomoniasis test, but must be kept away from female cattle. The TAHC must be contacted in advance of entry for a waiver of the test requirement to be issued on exhibition bulls.

The TAHC's cattle trichomoniasis regulations and additional information are available on the TAHC web site at: http://www.tahc.state.tx.us .

I believe it will cause a lot of bulls to go to slaughter that would have gone back to the cows because the owner will have to take the bull to the vet. 3 times at a week apart and isolate the bull for the time period. It will be too much trouble and expense if you are selling your herd bull at a young age that still has life in him. Just take him to the auction for slaughter.

I think you're probably right about that. In most cases, it just won't be worth the hassle.

Wonder how much all this testing costs?

Edited to add:

..."The country's western states have long-standing cattle trichomoniasis regulations."...

So what has been the experience of the western staters?

That will put a stop to buying replacement bulls at the stockyard. It may well be a good thing but it will cause the price of breding bull to go way up.

cowboy43":auysqkbn said:
I believe it will cause a lot of bulls to go to slaughter that would have gone back to the cows because the owner will have to take the bull to the vet. 3 times at a week apart and isolate the bull for the time period. It will be too much trouble and expense if you are selling your herd bull at a young age that still has life in him. Just take him to the auction for slaughter.
I must have missed something. I cannot see where the bull must be tested 3 times.
Test older or non-virgin bulls. Bulls older than 30 months or bulls that were maintained with cows after weaning must have a negative trichomoniasis test within 30 days prior to change of ownership. A certified, accredited veterinarian must collect the sample for testing at the Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory. While awaiting test results, which usually takes about a week, the bulls must be kept away from cows. Upon receipt of the negative test results, the animal is ready for change of ownership.

There are 2 test protocols: One is a quickie; other one is a 3x test. Re-read the complete TAHC thingy.

Don't think the test cost is very much. If bull is worth anything, test cost is irrelevant ...just "inconvenient".

"Sale Barn Bulls" are one thing. A "quallity bull auction (or private purchase)" is another thing...

We test all bulls prior to sale (consignment, private treaty, etc.)

The test is cheap ($20 or less) -- it's the ranch call fee that racks up the bill so we try to combine it with either brucellosis vaccinations for the heifers (mandatory by a vet) or palpation (his predictions average within 7 days of actual calving - he's good).

Running Arrow Bill":3fhcj3l7 said:
There are 2 test protocols: One is a quickie; other one is a 3x test. Re-read the complete TAHC thingy.

Don't think the test cost is very much. If bull is worth anything, test cost is irrelevant ...just "inconvenient".

"Sale Barn Bulls" are one thing. A "quallity bull auction (or private purchase)" is another thing...
Well I found it. I doubt that anyone will be taking their bull three times.
I agree that any bull worth having is worth the test.
I remember when they first tested cattle for bangs. It was a real pain but today a lot of cattle people are glad they did it. It may be a pain with this but if it helps clear out another disease I'm game for it.
I really like the part about bulls going up in price being I'm on the selling end. :banana:

Jim62":26jg3vxi said:
I think you're probably right about that. In most cases, it just won't be worth the hassle.

Wonder how much all this testing costs?

Edited to add:

..."The country's western states have long-standing cattle trichomoniasis regulations."...

So what has been the experience of the western staters?

I was told at a recent seminar I attended on this test would run around a 100 bucks. This has virtually stopped the buying of bulls through the salebarn as who is going to go through this hassle. IMO I look for slaughter bull prices to drop drastically as the buyers no there is no other option for this animal. This is no different when they used to brand a B on the jaw for bangs and the buyers paid 10 cents a pound. I am afraid this is almost going to be paying them to take the bull off your hands. Just have to wait and see, I also see this driving replacement bull prices up as everyone is going to demand tested bulls and the buyer is going to have to bear the cost. The law states a vet can sign off and certify the bull a virgin, talking to my Vet he said no way in Hades he would.
He said he is not signing off without testing as he isn't going to be liable.

Caustic Burno":1at0fde0 said:
The law states a vet can sign off and certify the bull a virgin, talking to my Vet he said no way in Hades he would.
He said he is not signing off without testing as he isn't going to be liable.

The VET doesn't have any choice but to test - if he has any integrity at all.

Where have you been CB?

Sounds like a good idea, but I wonder how they're going to enforce this? Will the sale barn require the buyer to sign a statement that the bull's going to slaughter?

Now that the law is in effect who would buy an untested bull ? Their is still a lot of bulls listed on craigs list and other web sites that do not say they are tested. I wonder how many sellers and buyers are aware of the new law.

How widespread is this Trich problem? This is the first I've heard of it in cattle. Course we treat humans for it frequently with metronidazole. :lol2:

Is this just another solution looking for a problem?

Trich is pretty widespread.

Idaho was the first state to initiate mandatory annual testing of bulls (in 1989). About 20,000 bulls are tested each year in Idaho and in the first year of testing, 325 bulls were found to be positive. Since then, there has been a 91 percent reduction in positive bulls in the state, and an 85 percent reduction in positive herds. Utah has a formal testing program, similar to that of Idaho. Oregon has a program and Colorado is in the process of developing one. Wyoming and Montana are also considering it. There are a number of other states that realize they have a problem but as yet have no formal testing programs. There are some grazing associations (in those states without test programs) that try to manage it within their associations, with bull testing.

Dr. Bob BonDurant (Professor of Veterinary Reproduction, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis) says the disease is widespread, but we don't know the actual numbers. "It is not just a western problem. Florida certainly has it, and it has also been reported in Missouri and several other states in the last four or five years. If we look hard enough, we find it. It is not a mandatory reportable disease, however, so we don't know the actual prevalence. We randomly sampled herds in California, but that was more than 10 years ago. At that time we had a 16 percent infection rate; 16 percent of herds had at least one infected bull."

Full article: http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2004 ... T312.shtml

We have the test here. I have never heard of it taking 3 times. Around here If you sell a bull at the sale barn for other than bologna they do a Trich test. If you buy a bologna bull and want to take it home to breed YOU pay for a Trich test or it don't leave the sale barn.

I don't know that all private treaty sales get one or not. I DO know that I wouldn't buy anything not a virgin without the test. I know of whole cow herds ruined by trich and not that far from here.

The way Texas is going about is pretty much identical to Wyoming. The test here costs about $100.00, and has to be performed 3 times. Taking the culture can be painful for the bull I am told. Sometimes painful enough that there is a chance the bull won't breed anymore. SO what is being said in this post is exactly what happens here. Perfectly good bulls go to slaughter. I pick up bulls for $2000- $2500, and have to sell them three years later (I don't breed them to their daughters) for around $500, or turn them into burger myself.

I think it boils down to how valuable the bull is to you..... just because pharmaceutical doesn't have a cure doesn't mean there isn't one...... it just means pharmacy can't patent or similate the natural cure.

Trich is a single cell protozoan parasite.

I don't know what d-hecate is but here's a study on it

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1645/0022-3395(2000)086%5B1355%3AEOTAPD%5D2.0.CO%3B2?journalCode=para

here's some natural cures and if they use them on humans don't know why cattle would be any different. It just may be expensive, but then it comes down to the value of the bull and/or how much trouble you want to go through.

Here's some links and look at echinacea, olive leaf, grapefruit seed extract, propolis and tea tree oil.

http://www.innvista.com/health/microbes ... eatpar.htm

http://www.doctorsresearch.com/prod_para.html (look at garlic, goldenseal, gse, and sweet wormwood)

Latest posts