New Tractor?

Help Support CattleToday:

edb130

Reaction score
I am considering a new tractor next year. Making hay this year in 105 degree temperatures really hurt my wife & 72 year old father, I didn't like it either. Any suggestions on a good low cost 80 HP? Does anyone know the warranty on Case IH? I have been looking at a JX 85.

M9000 Kubota. hydraulic everything, 90 horse -86 AT THE PTO) .....dollar for dollar much better than new holland or J D.
I like the hydraulic shuttle shift and pto....saves a lot of shear bolts on the poop spreader....(my bull thinks it is a new orange cow....tried to mount it the other day....smile.)
it flips 1600 lb bales with NO strain at all.... I did not get the cab model....if i wanna listen to music in air conditioning, I just stay in the house....check one out, they are great machines, and Kubota has been in business for over 30 years, and that says something for em.....

I like my NH TL100, 85hp on the pto. Look in Texas, a lot of guys selling out are selling them with very low hours for reasonable money thereby off setting the transportation expenses.

I have a JX85 and am fairly happy with it although I've had it in the shop (and needs to go back) three times and it has but 45 hours on it. The JX series is less expensive than the NH TL series as the JX is manufactured in Turkey. If I were to do it again, I would probably look at the new Kubuta M series, probably the M7040 with cab. I have the JX85 with loader and cab. I looked at JD, Kubota, NH, and Case and the Case was the cheapest of the bunch, although Kubota was in the same range (~35K). NH TL and JD were both $7K or so higher.

I have a JX85 and am fairly happy with it although I've had it in the shop (and needs to go back) three times and it has but 45 hours on it. The JX series is less expensive than the NH TL series as the JX is manufactured in Turkey. If I were to do it again, I would probably look at the new Kubuta M series, probably the M7040 with cab. I have the JX85 with loader and cab.

What kind of problems have you had if you don't mind sharing. Is it possible you got a lemon? I know I've bought over 10 new vehicles in the last 10 years, both Ford & Chevy and have had issues with both although not all.

When u buy a tractor make sure u have a GOOD dealer nearby. I like green b/c of service, parts availibilty, and resale. Those are the main factors for me, not that one is better than the other, but when it breaks (and it will) I can fix it at 3am and be running in the morning.

Air conditioning twice, they finally replaced the compressor. Hydraulic leaks and loose shifter at 16 hours. Right now the interior lights don't work but I didn't notice that until I had to bale at night. Nothing major, but luckily my dealer is only 7 miles away.

I run a NH 616 disc mower, NH 316 square baler, and a Vermeer Rebel 5500 round baler on the JX 85 without any problems. It has about 75 PTO HP.

I'm sorry and I mean no disrespect to any John Deere fans on here, we have a couple ourselves. But, why would anyone in their right mind pay all of that extra money for a John Deere?!?!? Just even compare the filter prices and it'll send your head spinning. I couldn't believe the price difference on new tractors when we bought our TL 100 NH. Big bucks of difference for SIMILIARLY equipped tractors. I realize one might have an extra button that the other one doesn't but, how can a person justify the difference

Herefordcross":3fwypo1c said:
I'm sorry and I mean no disrespect to any John Deere fans on here, we have a couple ourselves. But, why would anyone in their right mind pay all of that extra money for a John Deere?!?!? Just even compare the filter prices and it'll send your head spinning. I couldn't believe the price difference on new tractors when we bought our TL 100 NH. Big bucks of difference for SIMILIARLY equipped tractors. I realize one might have an extra button that the other one doesn't but, how can a person justify the difference

No disrespect taken. If resale value is not important, then you can always save money with other brands. But check value on 5 year old tractors or 10 or even 25 years and there is no comparison.

Just my opinion

Dub

DoubleK":3fjzpwwb said:
If resale value is not important, then you can always save money with other brands. But check value on 5 year old tractors or 10 or even 25 years and there is no comparison.

Just my opinion

Dub

Funny you should mention that. When I bought a used JD 5510 the dealer gave me $1000 less in trade on my Long then I had bought it new for 4 years before. I persoanly think they serious blew it since that Long has been sitting on the lot now for a year with no takers. Darn good tractor, but only 50 horse and no cab

dun

If resale value is not important, then you can always save money with other brands. But check value on 5 year old tractors or 10 or even 25 years and there is no comparison.

I don't think the "resale" argument holds water (IMHO). Granted, I'm not a fulltime farmer nor do I put heavy hours on my tractor, but consider:

- I bought my new 65 HP PTO Farmtrac 3 years ago.
- At that time, a comparable John Deere model was about $8,500 more expensive than what I paid.
- Let's say I took that $8,500 difference in purchse price that I saved by buying the Farmtrac and put it in some cd/money market type investment.

At the end of say 7 years, do you really thing the used John Deere will be worth MORE than my used Farmtrac PLUS the appreciated value of the $8,500 purchase difference? I really doubt that it would.

Using that logic, I really can't see how anyone could claim "resale value" as being a valid reason to fork over the extra $$$ for a John Deere anything.

(IMHO)

twabscs":15dam6dz said:
Air conditioning twice, they finally replaced the compressor. Hydraulic leaks and loose shifter at 16 hours. Right now the interior lights don't work but I didn't notice that until I had to bale at night. Nothing major, but luckily my dealer is only 7 miles away.

I hope that dealer is holding your hand real tight. Because those are major probs, to me. When I buy new, I expect the AC to blow cold air on my tired old body while I cut hay for 12 hr. And I don't want things falling off the machine.
Hang tough. Really.

OklaBrangusBreeder":31qzsk36 said:

I don't think the "resale" argument holds water (IMHO). Granted, I'm not a fulltime farmer nor do I put heavy hours on my tractor, but consider:

- I bought my new 65 HP PTO Farmtrac 3 years ago.
- At that time, a comparable John Deere model was about $8,500 more expensive than what I paid.
- Let's say I took that $8,500 difference in purchse price that I saved by buying the Farmtrac and put it in some cd/money market type investment.

At the end of say 7 years, do you really thing the used John Deere will be worth MORE than my used Farmtrac PLUS the appreciated value of the $8,500 purchase difference? I really doubt that it would.

Using that logic, I really can't see how anyone could claim "resale value" as being a valid reason to fork over the extra $$$ for a John Deere anything.

(IMHO)

Great job of explaining things Okla

Point very well taken (and polite too)

I'm not a full timer either but I have to be able to justify the green paint to my wife don't you see and she is not as savvy as you are.

Thanks for the insight.

Maybe I just am ate up with JD. I haven't seen any other companies that market all the little high dollar trinkets that my kids, and myself, love so much.

Dub

Dub,

Glad you found my comments worthwhile. Everyone is entitled to their opinions on this board and in no way do I think mine is any better than anyone else, but I did want to share my viewpoint with folks.

Make no mistake John Deere makes marvelous equipment, but they do price it at a premium. The more "full time" a farmer a guy is, the more Deere makes sense. For the rest of us (economically speaking) I personally find the premium is difficult to justify.

Regards.

Latest posts