New Tractor?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll go with Oklahoma guy on this one. Resale is really overblown IMHO, especially when you consider the price difference up front. Yes Deere has a higher resale on the 5-10-15-20 year old tractors NOW but who can REALLY tell what these new tractors you buy TODAY will sell for 5-10=15 years down the road?? We all know that they don't build them like they used to, no matter what color paint is on it. Of course I might be a bit jaded on resale because usually we buy the best price and run stuff till the wheels fall off.

One thing I WILL say for JD is that they are 100% behind their stuff parts-wise in my experience. We run Ford and New Holland 5610 tractors (both of which we paid $10,000 cash for each, with $6,000 trade in on a '72 5200 row crop and $6,000 for a 82 6600) which even with no cab or air is a steal. The dealer has stood behind them well. Since NH bought out Ford tractor division, they have gotten pretty pricey on parts; I've found stuff cheaper at the JD dealer than at the NH dealers. NH is also distancing itself parts-wise from the gaggle of shortlines that made Ford blue equipment too. My old 214 IH cotton pickers were getting long in the tooth a few years back, but were still good machines, just need certain parts replaced periodically, but IH forced them into the junkyard because they won't supply parts. Basically anything (related to cotton pickers anyway) built before the 782's they won't provide parts for. And I bet it's hard to get 782 parts by now. When I talked to the JD guys, they said sure we can get pretty much anything you need all the way back to the old 99 pickers which were as old as my 214's. When I talked combines, JD provides parts all the way back to the 95's and 105's. Just try to get parts for a 714-814-914 IH combine. Course if you trade a lot, before it gets old, it's not an issue for you, but for me, it sure is and NOBODY has backed up their stuff like JD when it comes to parts. Needless to say I bought green pickers even though I favored red pickers because I want parts support, not a hard luck story.

Something to think about and good luck! OL JR :)

OklaBrangusBreeder":14pud5vi said:
If resale value is not important, then you can always save money with other brands. But check value on 5 year old tractors or 10 or even 25 years and there is no comparison.

I don't think the "resale" argument holds water (IMHO). Granted, I'm not a fulltime farmer nor do I put heavy hours on my tractor, but consider:

- I bought my new 65 HP PTO Farmtrac 3 years ago.
- At that time, a comparable John Deere model was about $8,500 more expensive than what I paid.
- Let's say I took that $8,500 difference in purchse price that I saved by buying the Farmtrac and put it in some cd/money market type investment.

At the end of say 7 years, do you really thing the used John Deere will be worth MORE than my used Farmtrac PLUS the appreciated value of the $8,500 purchase difference? I really doubt that it would.

Using that logic, I really can't see how anyone could claim "resale value" as being a valid reason to fork over the extra $$$ for a John Deere anything.

(IMHO)

You ignore one consideration.
I bought my first JD tractor in '04, after a lifetime of 70's vintage Massey's. It isn't hype. Nothing runs like 'em.
I shopped for 2 yr, and I bought new because used ones bring laughably high prices. I'd go to an auction with a max price in mind and that would be the opening bid.
With no disrespect for anyone, there are two brands that are totally commited to ag tractors, in my opinion. JD and Kubota.
Pretty hard to get parts for those 70's Masseys. 70's JD's, no problem on parts.
But again, they run like a dream. Smooth.

john250":3o9popd7 said:
OklaBrangusBreeder":3o9popd7 said:
If resale value is not important, then you can always save money with other brands. But check value on 5 year old tractors or 10 or even 25 years and there is no comparison.

I don't think the "resale" argument holds water (IMHO). Granted, I'm not a fulltime farmer nor do I put heavy hours on my tractor, but consider:

- At that time, a comparable John Deere model was about $8,500 more expensive than what I paid.
- Let's say I took that $8,500 difference in purchse price that I saved by buying the Farmtrac and put it in some cd/money market type investment.

At the end of say 7 years, do you really thing the used John Deere will be worth MORE than my used Farmtrac PLUS the appreciated value of the $8,500 purchase difference? I really doubt that it would.

Using that logic, I really can't see how anyone could claim "resale value" as being a valid reason to fork over the extra $$$ for a John Deere anything.

(IMHO)

I bought my first JD tractor in '04, after a lifetime of 70's vintage Massey's. It isn't hype. Nothing runs like 'em.
I shopped for 2 yr, and I bought new because used ones bring laughably high prices. I'd go to an auction with a max price in mind and that would be the opening bid.
With no disrespect for anyone, there are two brands that are totally commited to ag tractors, in my opinion. JD and Kubota.
Pretty hard to get parts for those 70's Masseys. 70's JD's, no problem on parts.

Dang I better not let my old Massey hear all this about how bad they are.
After 29 years I had to have the injectors rebuilt dang sorry tractors.

Caustic Burno":35dksqxe said:
john250":35dksqxe said:
OklaBrangusBreeder":35dksqxe said:

(IMHO)

Those 70's Masseys don't owe me a nickel and I give them credit for that. 4 to 6 thousand hours on them. They leak. From every pore they leak. The JD will run 8+ mph cutting hay with a disk mower. Without drama. The old Massey would be on the edge of controllability at 6 mph.

john250":3ro0x232 said:
Caustic Burno":3ro0x232 said:
john250":3ro0x232 said:
OklaBrangusBreeder":3ro0x232 said:

(IMHO)

Those 70's Masseys don't owe me a nickel and I give them credit for that. 4 to 6 thousand hours on them. They leak. From every pore they leak. The JD will run 8+ mph cutting hay with a disk mower. Without drama. The old Massey would be on the edge of controllability at 6 mph.

Got one pushing 9000 hours and it jumps out of the barn to head for the hayfield. I am not blinded by green paint on a foriegn tractor.
Perkins diesel in the Massey's ,Yanmirs jap crap in the Deere's.
All the new ones are foriegn made if I have to support another country it is definitely not going to be China or France.

Caustic Burno":3jpz9oeo said:

Or our 4230. We just had to do the pump this year. She ain't 29 but she's getting close. She's the youngest we got.

I'm much older and still running well.

Latest posts