New to this calving process....

Help Support CattleToday:

jmbadavis

Reaction score
Here is my concern, my kids have recently purchased 2 heifers. One is a red angus the other is a charolais. The red angus is due with her first calf any day, I believe. Here is what I have seen so far from this heifer. She started bagging about 2 weeks ago and seems her udder is increasing in size, also her back end is swollen. In the last 2 days I have noticed that her back end has become more swollen on top with wrinkles. We are pretty nervous about her calving because we are new to this calving thing and because she is a first time mom. We have horses which have foaled with no problem and are familiar with their birthing process, but as far as heifer this is new territory for me. What are some of the early signs to look for, not eating? distressed? Will there be a discharge? My husband and I both work full time away from home so it possible to come home and there will a new calf there? Or does it usually take more than 8 hours for her to birth? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :oops:

The only dead-bang-certain way to tell is when the feet are sticking out. Cows, heifers in particular may or may not go through a bunch of steps before delivering, or even going into labor for that matter.
Generally they will seperate themselves from others, but some seem to want an audience and will plunk down right in the middle of everybody else. Some bag before calving some bag after. The udder may fill and then appear less full any number of times before she actually calves. The prelabor stage can last for a day or a couple of minutes. Some will lay down and squirt the calf out, others will work at it for a while. If no one is around, the best you can do is check on her when you can and see if she appears to be straining as if she's in labor. If the water bag shows, she should have the calf within an hour or so, if not, reach in and check and see what's going on.

dun

Many books are available that will walk you through the whole process and signs to look out for if she needs help... however, the best thing would be to work with a neighbor who's been there and done that when the time is right... having people with you who have hands on experiences is the best preperation.

On the calving board there is a thread by CattleAnnie that deals very well with the whole process.

dun