new to this board

Help Support CattleToday:

JR'S#9

Reaction score
Hey from North Iowa been reading this site for about two months thought I would intoduce myself. I am going to try to post a pic of our herd bull. I run mostly purebred and registered herefords with a few other red hided cows.
IM000296.jpg

IM000294.jpg

IM000297.jpg
Well I hope this works.
Fire away with your comments I have had two very good calf crops from him and am looking forward to see what this year will bring. JR

a reply to your questions. First he is purebred polled hereford Got him from my uncle. He is home bred from base genetics that include mostly dan cadies cattle and MSU genetics. Dan was a breeder that was well known in Michigan in the late 70's and early eighties. My uncle quite keeping breeding records about 15 years ago. And only bought 3 bulls since then this one was born from a cow that was 11 years old his daddy was 8 his momma was culled after 13 years of good calves. There is one simmi cow in the background of one picture I bought at applington Iowa salebarn last thursday for 710 dollars 6 months bred to a black bull. I try to buy a few like that every year some I resell as a pair some I keep. she was 7 years old.

Hit your enter bar between images
and maybe we won't have to go all
the way to the East Coast to see all
of 'em or to read all of the posts.

Welcome to the CT Boards.

Welcome aboard JR. I worked in Iowa year before last. Ft. Dodge and Marshalltown. What surprised me was the lack of a lot of cattle people. Saw plenty of hogs, sheep, and of course CORN. But cows were few and far between. :cboy:

JR'S#9":1bqwh7c6 said:
a reply to your questions. First he is purebred polled hereford Got him from my uncle. He is home bred from base genetics that include mostly dan cadies cattle and MSU genetics. Dan was a breeder that was well known in Michigan in the late 70's and early eighties. My uncle quite keeping breeding records about 15 years ago. And only bought 3 bulls since then this one was born from a cow that was 11 years old his daddy was 8 his momma was culled after 13 years of good calves. There is one simmi cow in the background of one picture I bought at applington Iowa salebarn last thursday for 710 dollars 6 months bred to a black bull. I try to buy a few like that every year some I resell as a pair some I keep. she was 7 years old.

Well that bull might have some Hereford in his background, The pigment around the eyes, lack of ,whoa no feathering at all, almost no white on the undercarraige or stockings. I hate to break it to you but you have Simm in the woodpile heavy. You need to take the papers on him and put them on a roll so they will be useful. There was a lot of hinky games being played by breeders in the 60's and 70's.

Almost forgot weclome

If that bull is a fullblood Hereford I am a Japanese Aviator.
He is a good looking bull I also would have to question his ancestry.

Thanks for the comments. I really likke talking cattle. Like one post said lots of corn in Iowa not many cattle men. As to his ancestery I can only say this HE IS AS PUREBRED AS ANYTHING I HAVE EVER SEEN. He is not registerd so I would have to buy the paper then put it on the roll to make the paper usefull. Besides us real cowboys get by with less than paper anyway! As to the pigment around the eyes We have selected for that seems to give us less problems with pink eye. If you will look at the cow directly behind him in the first pic you will see a half sister to him and she has much the same google eye. As to his big head it only seems like that in the pics. He is big a 4.5 frame bull according to my vet. wieghs around 1900 by the eye. Last years calf crop didn't assist a single birth. Wouldn't want to use him on new heifers but that is more from his size than his calfs though his calves do run to the high side in size. Last year they averaged 87 lbs. the high was 94 every body wants a little smaller calf but my cows do Ok with him. This will be his last year with me though unless I can find more pasture to split the cows up he will have some daughters running with him next year. Hey how about some comments on something other than his color anyway. Last I checked Nobody eats the hair. JR

JR'S#9":5mtx1bna said:
Thanks for the comments. I really likke talking cattle. Like one post said lots of corn in Iowa not many cattle men. As to his ancestery I can only say this HE IS AS PUREBRED AS ANYTHING I HAVE EVER SEEN. He is not registerd so I would have to buy the paper then put it on the roll to make the paper usefull. Besides us real cowboys get by with less than paper anyway! As to the pigment around the eyes We have selected for that seems to give us less problems with pink eye. If you will look at the cow directly behind him in the first pic you will see a half sister to him and she has much the same google eye. As to his big head it only seems like that in the pics. He is big a 4.5 frame bull according to my vet. wieghs around 1900 by the eye. Last years calf crop didn't assist a single birth. Wouldn't want to use him on new heifers but that is more from his size than his calfs though his calves do run to the high side in size. Last year they averaged 87 lbs. the high was 94 every body wants a little smaller calf but my cows do Ok with him. This will be his last year with me though unless I can find more pasture to split the cows up he will have some daughters running with him next year. Hey how about some comments on something other than his color anyway. Last I checked Nobody eats the hair. JR

That is not a purebreed Hereford and any cattleman will tell you pigment has nothing to do with pinkeye as it is highly contagious in all cattle. Now Cancer eye is another subject reguarding pigment and enviroment.
Now you really need to pay attention on this board as there are some kick butt Hereford breeders on here. They can show you some real Herefords, not that he is a bad bull but post him for what he is a crossbreed. Or yall got taken real good a few years back.

la4angus":33ndty7w said:
JR'S#9":33ndty7w said:
HE IS AS PUREBRED AS ANYTHING I HAVE EVER SEEN.
Maybe you haven't seen any real PUREBREDS
Well the next time I get a chance I will take some pics of the "real purebreds that I have the papers for. ;-) Probably won't be till sunday but that is due to the schedule not my desire to put this discussion off. One more thing I did miss speak as to saying we were selecting for the googles eye to get rid of pink eye I should have written cancer eye . :oops: Brain was thinking about the cow I have in the barn waiting to calve. Maybe I will be able to post a pic of the new calf on Sunday too. :cboy:

Latest posts