New Tall Fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3oclg79u said:
Margonme":3oclg79u said:
kenny thomas":3oclg79u said:
There are a few varieties of Novel endophyte already on the market. It is advertised to have the qualities needed. How is this one different?
I just finished a 2 day class on grazing and this subject was discussed a lot. The professors still did not it could be established without killing the existing stand. I was hoping to just interseed with it.

KT: Lacefield has been determined to be more competitive with the original Kentucky 31 fescue. Novel had a tendency to disappear even after an initial viable stand was established. Lacefield has been through 12 years of study and all the location plots are still productive. Lacefield is not endophyte free but the strain of endophyte Lacefield supports does not produce the ergoline.
None of the novel/friendly endophyte varieties do. It's a matter of the scientists figuring out which non-toxic endophytes help with the positive traits of fescue. In another year or 2 there will be another "new" improved version. Until it has the persistence and drought tolerance of KY31 I will just keep doing it the old fashioned way. Diluting it with clover, etc.

They will get it right. Probably not far off. What I would like to know: What keeps the ergoline producing endophyte from re-infecting the new fescue variety?

Margonme":lpf9u1mf said:
What keeps the ergoline producing endophyte from re-infecting the new fescue variety?
I had the same question. As it was explained to me, since it is inside of the plant there is no way for it to spread to another plant. The problem arises when you have toxic endophyte and novel endophyte in the same field. The toxic plant is more robust and will eventually crowd out the other by producing more seed that will germinate better.

dun":x390xi9x said:
Margonme":x390xi9x said:
What keeps the ergoline producing endophyte from re-infecting the new fescue variety?
I had the same question. As it was explained to me, since it is inside of the plant there is no way for it to spread to another plant. The problem arises when you have toxic endophyte and novel endophyte in the same field. The toxic plant is more robust and will eventually crowd out the other by producing more seed that will germinate better.
That's how it was explained to me also. The diluting with clover at this point is the easiest thing I can do.

Son of Butch":2dwr0tpx said:
Margonme":2dwr0tpx said:
Dr. Burrus is speaking at out Cattle Association Extravaganza in October.
You're Outing Extravagant Cattle?
That must be where Fluffy cows come from.
Can't all you LGBT promoters ever just give it a rest?

The Extravaganza is the kick-off of the next cycle in the CAIP cost share. A person is invited to speak which provides each person attending their required training to qualify for cost share.

dun":1vskbm3y said:
Margonme":1vskbm3y said:

During the 12 year on-farm demonstration, Lacefield competed with the fescue supporting the toxic endophyte. That is promising but the skepticism is understood. I used endophyte free fescue in a couple of pastures when I renovated my pastures. It has about disappeared except for one section.

Only time will tell.

Margonme":2jnhf3mf said:
dun":2jnhf3mf said:
Margonme":2jnhf3mf said:

During the 12 year on-farm demonstration, Lacefield competed with the fescue supporting the toxic endophyte. That is promising but the skepticism is understood. I used endophyte free fescue in a couple of pastures when I renovated my pastures. It has about disappeared except for one section.

Only time will tell.
Endophyte free just doesn;t work. That's why the novel/friendly endophyte varieties were developed.

Latest posts