New smaller cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

flykiller

Reaction score
Has anyone considered that the high gas prices will have an effect on the preferred breed of cattle? Perhaps smaller breeds will top the market to compensate for the escalating price of transporting cows?

Smaller cows that still produce calves with the carcass that the processors want and it may be a viable option.

flykiller":19r5ttmq said:
Has anyone considered that the high gas prices will have an effect on the preferred breed of cattle? Perhaps smaller breeds will top the market to compensate for the escalating price of transporting cows?
are you talking about smaller cow's being lighter to haul there by being more fuel efficient..? yet another spin on the efficient cow :p

flykiller":2209m86e said:
I doubt anything will change because of hauling issues, they will just pack more of them on the trailer.

Santas and Duhram Reds":20y2t4nc said:
they will just put more on the trailer but in mass numbers there would be fewer trailers used.

are you people smoking crack?

the consuming public is going to eat the same number of pounds no matter if it comes from a tall or short, fat or skinny animal.

this means the same number of trailers weighing the same amount. yall make it sound like it takes less truck to haul 50 1000 lb heifers than 40 1250 lb steers.

the only reason smaller cows might do better in this mess is because they might finish quicker and take less corn.

[/quote]
the only reason smaller cows might do better in this mess is because they might finish quicker and take less corn.[/quote]

I agree that smaller frame animals will finish quicker and take less grain to get to that point.

However, here's a news flash: people will NOT be eating the same number of pounds of beef in the
future, IMO.

OK Jeanne":3vnv5teg said:
[However, here's a news flash: people will NOT be eating the same number of pounds of beef in the
future, IMO.

You are right. More things than eating habits are gona change before this is all over.

The thing is--I don't believe this "thing" will be over; rather we are at the beginning of the end of
the fossil fuel age. The ripple effects are almost too far reaching to be comprehendable.
Google "peak oil" and start reading The Oil Drum - and also the board discussion of oil traders
at http://downstreamventures.yuku.com/forums/1 The international Assoc for Study of Peak Oil
(ASPO) puts out a well respected monthly newsletter for free. That group mainly consists of petro
geogologists and people from inside the international oil industry. We have pi$$ed away decades
of wasted time and money since Carter's statement that the coming energy situation was the
"moral equivalent of war".

i think you may be correct.

Do you ever finish any of you MG's on straight grass? What is the average weight of a 5 yr old MG?

OK Jeanne":2wrrlf36 said:
The thing is--I don't believe this "thing" will be over; rather we are at the beginning of the end of
the fossil fuel age. The ripple effects are almost too far reaching to be comprehendable.
Google "peak oil" and start reading The Oil Drum - and also the board discussion of oil traders
at http://downstreamventures.yuku.com/forums/1 The international Assoc for Study of Peak Oil
(ASPO) puts out a well respected monthly newsletter for free. That group mainly consists of petro
geogologists and people from inside the international oil industry. We have pi$$ed away decades
of wasted time and money since Carter's statement that the coming energy situation was the
"moral equivalent of war".

I think that you are being too negative. First of all I think it is inevitable that we open up almost all of the country to oil drilling. Secondly you can manufacture a car that gets 40 mpg effectively cutting gas price in half for millions of Americans. Third new oil fields are being explored in Brazil, off the Mexican Coast, Africa, off the Cuban Coast, etc. There is absolutely no reason why we can't continue our current way of doing things for the next 40-50 years (or more). Even IF I were forced to ride the bus (and we don't HAVE buses out here) I can't see me changing my eating habits.

Aero":qfnqse93 said:
i think you may be correct.

Do you ever finish any of you MG's on straight grass? What is the average weight of a 5 yr old MG?

We finish on straight forage - typically winter forage oats or rye.

DCP_3817.jpg

Our cows are not large framed. Typically a 3plus to 4. They would weigh around 1100 to 1350
depending on time of year and rain/forage. Here's Petunia at age 9 and I would guess she weighed
around 1300 or so. She's a half sister to Fern, the cow I posted on the recent "post some cows "
thread:

2346petuniaaug04.jpg

----------

I would like to be wrong about my opinion on energy forecasts. I have been studying the charts
(and all the news) for about 10 years and have become more and more convinced of trouble
ahead. On the other hand, we did invest in oil and gas companies in about 1999 that have more
than tripled in value; especially the canadian gas companies.

P.S. I have given up on trying to alert/convince anyone about peak oil/fossil fuels. A friend told
me they just didn't want to hear it or think about it----much too large a problem to wrap your
mind around. As they say "denial is more than just a river in Egypt." :D

I don't see them catching on. When the American public wants a T-Bone steak, they want a steak that's big! I'm sure that the small cows have a place, but I don't see them taking over the world.

OK Jeanne":2ousyy73 said:
However, here's a news flash: people will NOT be eating the same number of pounds of beef in the
future, IMO.

The average person may not be eating the same amount, which I highly dought, but we are feeding more and more people every day, the US and the world population is growing in leaps and bounds. My worry is that their won't be enough meat in the future.

Small cows may work for some and may not work for others. But I stand by my statement that we need to produce the type of cattle that the buyers want, and nearly all the beef grown in the US and Canada are purchased by feedlots that sell lbs of beef to packers. If the feeders want big ones, we sure the heck better make big ones or they will go somewhere else and get them. Same for the smaller ones, if that is what they want, we better be able to provide it to them, or they will find it elsewhere.

i dont ever see the market shifting to smaller framed cows or feeder calves because of the higher fuel prices.because the bigger framed steers an heifers produce a large amount of meat.the mini cattle finish out 2hd to 1 hd.so the bigger framed cattle produces more meat pre head.

I think dressed weight may go down. Feedlots will not be as anxious to feed the critter that extra couple weeks. With the high feed prices . Nothing to do with fuel prices. The bigger the rig the more weight it will carry and bigger is more efficient. Global oil use will double in the next 20 years, more expensive. But, the end of the fossil fuel age is no where in sight. As far as coal, The surface has only been scratched.

Aero":3n53ee2p said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":3n53ee2p said:
they will just put more on the trailer but in mass numbers there would be fewer trailers used.

are you people smoking crack?

the consuming public is going to eat the same number of pounds no matter if it comes from a tall or short, fat or skinny animal.

this means the same number of trailers weighing the same amount. yall make it sound like it takes less truck to haul 50 1000 lb heifers than 40 1250 lb steers.

I never meant it would take less truck, actually I thought I was implying it would take the same truck by saying they would add more weight.

As far as the lbs of beef remaining the same isn't necessarily so. Smaller portions are all the rave and will continue to be for some time in the future. The lbs. of beef consumed in the U.S. has been in decline for sometime. Prices of groceries will also continue to rise which will drive people to smaller portions of products such as meat. If demand remained the same, then your theory would come close to being true. Considering the factors that are being attributed to the cause of a situation like this are pushing to the concept of smaller cattle.

Brandonm22":26hpxer3 said:
I can't see me changing my eating habits.

That is probably right. There is always the chance you might live through it.

Your right, our beef system isn't set up for $8.00 corn, but we have never seen $1.18 Fats either, like we see in the Oct 2009. Futures! Luckily the Fat market keeps climbing with the corn. Maybe not quite as fast, but still climbing.

Latest posts