New prospects

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
These are three new bull calves I am raising up this winter. Weaning % included for you, Jim.

April 19, 2010 BW: 104 WW: 615 AWW: 605 W%: 43.6
P1010090.jpg

April 20, 2010 BW: 106 WW: 665 AWW: 657 W%: 38.5
P1010086-1.jpg

May 5, 2010 BW: 94 WW: 525 AWW: 552 W%: 36.9
P1010091.jpg

Looks like they may have just weaned not all that long ago. Also looks like he does like I do and feeds no creep.

I have done a little experimenting and I have found that if I creep feed the calves look like they have alot more muscle in the rear quarters. If I dont feed they look like common calves. I have done this with two sets of calves and the creep feed gives them that bloom that you guys like so much. An ordinary calf can be made to look darn good if it is fat.

All that being said. They look like ordinary herf calves to me that are going to be bigger than I like.

Didn't see anywhere you were asking for comments Aaron, but I'll give them anyway. :lol: I think the first and third calves pictured are two of the better ones you've posted pictures of. It would have been nicer if the first calf had a little more length to his hip, would have made him look a little more balanced with the long front end he has. Don't really care for the second calf, he has more problems than I wound want to fool with for my personal taste. For me the third calf would be the best prospect, imho he's put together a little better just about everywhere than the first calf, nice calf.

JHH, I don't creep feed either..

I would still like the calves to show more muscle expression and length through the rear quarter. I agree with Rocket on the #2 bull, but the #3 bull could fill out nicely if put on a good feeding program.

i like no 3 the best as well also i like those bw to be a little lighter say in the 80 to 90 pound range and i dont creep feed either with these feed price's we need breed for cattle that will make as much gain on grass as possable in a reasonable amount of time then finish on grass thanks for the pics and post David

Make #3 a steer and keep the first 2. Number 3 has the poorest performance as does his dam. BW's very acceptable on all 3 for Canadian standards. There is also really nothing about #3 the numbers aside I like. 2 has it's problems but if you put a little feed to him he'll fill in and look good and that's what most buyers want.

oakcreekfarms":ea4uojy2 said:
JHH, I don't creep feed either..

I would still like the calves to show more muscle expression and length through the rear quarter. I agree with Rocket on the #2 bull, but the #3 bull could fill out nicely if put on a good feeding program.

I agree with that. And while they may be bigger than I want I realize to sell bulls they have to be what the commercial man wants and not what I want. I am struggling to breed for the commercial man.

OCF, Weaned mid-November, put on some fair quality mixed hay with an occasional bale of green cut oats. Moved them to this paddock Dec 19 and started working them onto a mixed beef grain ration (rolled corn,oats and barley with beet pulp). They are getting about 5 lbs a day on that, and mediocre mixed hay.

JHH, No creep. No producer, commercial or purebred, would buy them if they were and I wouldn't do it if they wanted anyways. Cheating the good cows and propping up the poor ones. Creep feeding around here is like admitting your an idiot.

Rocket, Your right, I didn't. I don't anymore...not on here anyways. But thanks all the same.

Cattlemen99, you and I think a lot alike. The only reason 3 is there is because he is built for heifers (small head, small bone and narrow), and that is what everyone wants around here for heifers. I will probably sell him before the other two this year.

H76, 5X and the last one are both polled. All 3 are off of that Misty Valley bull. Oh, and the top bull is a full brother to the bull on the other old thread 'cow frame size reducer'.

Ya number 3 would likely make a heifer bull. If that's what your keeping him for he should work just fine. Just a little feminine looking for a bull for my taste.