New Pony

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Here is my new pony, who's arrival has been eagerly awaited.
Her name is Exmoor Jamaica, she is a purebred Connemara Pony mare by Glenormiston Jasper out of Blandings Barbados. She is the only female from Barbados, who was my pony until she was bitten by a brown snake. For four years I've waited to get my hands on this pony!

PS- This photo was taken a couple of years ago when she was locked in the 'Jenny Craig' yard!

Exmoor_Jamaica001.jpg

Gee, I don't think that this pony is thin at all...actually, I'd have to say she looks in pretty good shape. It's a challenge to keep most ponies from getting too fat. How tall is she (under 14.2, right)?

What a shame about your other pony and the brown snake! I don't think I could handle Australia, between the snakes and those Caine (sp?) toads, I'd freak out.

Nice looking pony, Killala, she looks like she can sure get the job done for you. She has unusual coloring, though. Is that typical of Connemara's? I can't honestly say I'd even heard of them before your first post about them. I also noticed her left front hoof appears to be curved in somewhat, is that just an illusion of the camera? Good luck with her, hopefully she won't run across any brown snakes!

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2lv7gc7d said:
No offense but that is one of the ugliest and skinniest ponies I have ever seen. Looks like she needs some groceries. You say that was her 4 years ago. I would like to see a more updated pic to see what she looks like now. I hope she looks alot better now than she did then.

I'm afraid you need those eyes of yours checked TTCLM. Clearly you have no idea what you're on about and while I can take constructive criticism where it is warranted, I'd prefer you kept yours to yourself.
And I didn't say the photo was four years ago.

Gale, she is approx. 13.2hh, I haven't measured her myself yet but that is what we're working on right now. And it's so hard to keep a Connemara in acceptable condition, they are such good doers, live off the smell of an oily rag! It's all got to do with where they originate from and they are such hardy, adpatable ponies.
Yes, Aus is terrible with all our wild creatures but I still don't think I'd live anywhere else!

msscamp, thanks :D Can I ask what you mean by unusual colouring? Do you mean the lighter patches coming through? As far as Connemara's go, it's quite difficult to get a bay coloured pony as grey is the dominant colour, and while a lot of foals are born darker they almost always go grey. I think what you say about her hoof must be the photo... I know she doesn't look the best here but you can get the picture. Her feet are in need of a trim here!
I will post more pics when I can get some. She know has the definite look of a broody... she's about 3 months in foal at present, and a bit too light on for my liking so I may wait until she gains some more condition before posting.

If anyone would like me to post some info on Connemara's let me know. Or I can provide some links.

well as far as the type breed she is she may look like she is suppose too so i would'nt bash on one breed with out knowing the phenotype too make a comment

She really has the look of the Glenmoriston ponies I've seen pictures of. I tried to download a picture of my Connemara pony Devon Ridge Dreams Come True but I am a little to stupid, can't get it to work. I was recently at an Irish Draught and Connemara show here in BC Canada, I saw a mare that was inspected and approved with the first Premium status of any Connemara in North America, she looked like a q.h cross with her buckskin coloring and muscular hindquarters. My pony is in foal to Fairyhill Hawk, due in July. She is black with a thin blaze and four coronets or socks. Bay is not an unusual color for a Connemara here in Canada, though grey is still most common. These ponies are tough, tough, tough - athletic and easy to train.

I'd like to see another photo of her too. What's she bred to? another Connemara or is she crossed with something else? I had a riding instructor who raises Connemaras and Conn/TB crosses. Some fabulous little dressage and jumping horses -- I never had the priviledge of riding one but they were something else to watch. :)

Skinny? :???: ..................Ok whatever you say????? :?

Interresting pony you got there. I like her. :nod:

Killala":e7gmgvbk said:
Can I ask what you mean by unusual colouring? Do you mean the lighter patches coming through?

If anyone would like me to post some info on Connemara's let me know. Or I can provide some links.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I can't say that I've seen that before. It's very attractive, just a little unusual for me.

I sure wouldn't mind having a little more information on them! :)

cowpunk'd":31gcx5fg said:
She really has the look of the Glenmoriston ponies I've seen pictures of. I tried to download a picture of my Connemara pony Devon Ridge Dreams Come True but I am a little to stupid, can't get it to work. I was recently at an Irish Draught and Connemara show here in BC Canada, I saw a mare that was inspected and approved with the first Premium status of any Connemara in North America, she looked like a q.h cross with her buckskin coloring and muscular hindquarters. My pony is in foal to Fairyhill Hawk, due in July. She is black with a thin blaze and four coronets or socks. Bay is not an unusual color for a Connemara here in Canada, though grey is still most common. These ponies are tough, tough, tough - athletic and easy to train.

If you've seen some of the Glenormiston ponies, then you may have come across a couple of nieces/nephews of this pony. She is the full sister to Exmoor Irish Jack, an outstanding buckskin whom has served several Glenormiston mares which have been exported. Jack and Jamaica are the sole offspring of the Glenormiston Jasper/Blandings Barbados union (Barbados being my old mare). Jack is the only stallion son of Jasper's here in Australia.

msscamp- her mother was the same sort of colour. I guess it's a bit like the Dartmoor and Exmoor ponies with their mealy muzzles and eyes.. I've seen a few of them with similar colouring. She (and also her mother) have the cutest pale bellies, its so funny to watch them roll because you see this dark pony go down and next thing there's this creamy-coloured belly staring you in the face. I have to laugh every time I see it!

J- thanks :D

Okay now, I've uploaded some photos (I sort of went a little crazy... took close to 100 photos of her this morning :roll: guess i'm just a little excited :D)
These were taken just after I let her out with the other mares.. in typical Connemara fashion she was more interested in eating then running around!

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

What Connies do best!
IMG_0532.jpg

This is the partbred I ride, Mosaic. By a Connemara stallion out of a QH type mare.

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

Another purebred mare, Wattle Hills Born Free.
IMG_0570.jpg

Thanks :D and that grey breeds well too... in the pics of the partbred there's a buckskin gelding behind her, that's Flossy's last foal.

That looks pretty typical of the Conemmaras I have seen around here. We had a stallion here at our farm years ago that was the first grand prix Conemmara shown in the US, he is a real nice stallion.

Those are some beautiful ponies. They all look very well put together. Are you using them just for breeding or do you use them for any disciplines?

The new pony is in foal, so thats keeping her busy til oct/nov. However I plan to campaign her lightly over summer after she has foaled.
the partbred is my current performance pony- as I have restricted time with the ponies we mainly attend breed shows and hack shows. I'd like to get her going seriously in dressage tho- she has the most wonderfulmovement.
We also have a 4year old stallion who we'd like to get out and do a bit more with, but as neither of us have time it's difficult. He should be doing pony dressage- I haven't seen a pony with so much expression for a long time.
In the other photos, the grey purebred, Born Free, is purely a broodie now, and the bigger horse, Flo, has had a few foals but has now been retired. She is an Irish Draught x and used to be a hunter, usually ridden by the Master of the Hunt or the Huntsman. Beautiful mare and she's had two outstanding performance fillies.

I think that bay mare would be a wonderful dressage pony, she looks very light on her feet and has a look of talen :)

Sounds like your breeding has payed off eh? More ponies to compete with ;-)

Latest posts