New pictures Thread

Help Support CattleToday:

G&L Cattle":1olvzm4j said:
They really look good Jake! How would you score the body condition of the red cow with the nursing calf! How much BC loss is acceptable during this time?

G&L

all of the cows have lost weight since the last time I was down there but that's because they are all nursing calves now... Still look about 200% than a lot of cattle I see. she's probably a frame 5.5 or 6 cow... weighs probably 1150 right now... I'll see if I have a pic of her in "full" flesh of summer....

G&L Cattle":3teu2krh said:
They really look good Jake! How would you score the body condition of the red cow with the nursing calf! How much BC loss is acceptable during this time?

G&L
It is hard to tell from the angle on the red cow with the calf, but I would call her about a 5 on bcs. The hooks are seen and maybe the last rib.

baseballfan27":ckbrpcks said:
There is no such thing as an overfed cow! As my grandfather once said "A fat cow is a happy cow!".

That is the dumbest statement I have ever seen posted on these boards... :roll:

BC":2yrezzhk said:
G&L Cattle":2yrezzhk said:

G&L
It is hard to tell from the angle on the red cow with the calf, but I would call her about a 5 on bcs. The hooks are seen and maybe the last rib.

She is probably 10 or 12 though....

Arnold Ziffle":27re240k said:
Fine looking heifer Jake. Ya reckon Lone Pine would sell her to you for, say $100 plus a little sweat equity? :D

Lonepine and my brother and I are going to work a deal to average out the prices the rest of the heifers that were sold brought and buy here for that.

Jake":3ufu8boh said:
Lonepine and my brother and I are going to work a deal to average out the prices the rest of the heifers that were sold brought and buy here for that.
Sounds like a heck of a deal for you and your younger brother.

la4angus":22zuvdyv said:
Jake":22zuvdyv said:
Sounds like a heck of a deal for you and your younger brother.

ought to be, I could buy her outright myself and then not have to deal with the little fart but I'm being nice and including him in on it.... that way I still have money in the bank collecting interest then too. I might try to go on a saving rampage even more than now and buy yet another one this fall.

now now jake... that is no way to talk about your younger brother.. :lol:
i bet he's a good feller too.

jt

jt":vcavc25w said:

jt

He's a good kid but can't stop thinkin about hunting and fishing long enough to know two squirts about cattle yet, he's got a lot of learning to do in the next 19 months!! It would have just been easier to run the calf the way I wanted to and be done with it... but I'm too nice for that...(at least today)

Jake":8qmrknjc said:
jt":8qmrknjc said:

jt
but I'm too nice for that...(at least today)
Jake, you told me once that your Mama taught you not to lie; :lol: at least in public. Maybe you want to restate that comment. :lol:

la4angus":ysy07ube said:
Jake":ysy07ube said:
jt":ysy07ube said:

jt
but I'm too nice for that...(at least today)
Jake, you told me once that your Mama taught you not to lie; :lol: at least in public. Maybe you want to restate that comment. :lol:

I said I feel nice today.... now tomorrow may be a completely different story!!! :lol:

Here is a picture of my lineback calf, does anyone have any info on this breed? Bought her at a market, would like to have more of her.

000_0100.jpg

[/img]

No, She's a breed of her own, these linebacks are usually mixed in with holstein herds. They are really popular in New York. They are a milking breed.

Here is a picture of my lineback calf, does anyone have any info on this breed? Bought her at a market, would like to have more of her.

They are considered a minor breed. Some cheese makers here milk them and others raise them for beef. They come in mottled colors of black & white, the rare red & white & roan plus the less mottled colors of black/white & red/white--always with the distinctive white line down their backs.

Do a search on this forum ( hit the search tab at top of the screen ) to find the most recent discussions about the Randall Lineback breed. There are several links to websites in those discussions and one will lead you to some New England breeders of these fine cattle. Do a search on Google.com as well.

There are several very large as well as a few small herds of these cattle in Vermont..and alot of people have one or two as gentle lawn mowers.

Have seen many pairs used as working oxen and they are certainly a sight to behold. They are easy to train, puppy dog friendly and one of the top choices for 4-H Teamsters in this area.

LinebackerOxen4H.jpg

I have visited alot of the Shaker villages in the region and these calm colorful cattle are a popular attraction at these living museums. Many sell their surplus calves to the public.

LinebackerBlack.jpg

CowCop":2rhjihqi said:

They are considered a minor breed. Some cheese makers here milk them and others raise them for beef. They come in mottled colors of black & white, the rare red & white & roan plus the less mottled colors of black/white & red/white--always with the distinctive white line down their backs.

Do a search on this forum ( hit the search tab at top of the screen ) to find the most recent discussions about the Randall Lineback breed. There are several links to websites in those discussions and one will lead you to some New England breeders of these fine cattle. Do a search on Google.com as well.

There are several very large as well as a few small herds of these cattle in Vermont..and alot of people have one or two as gentle lawn mowers.

Have seen many pairs used as working oxen and they are certainly a sight to behold. They are easy to train, puppy dog friendly and one of the top choices for 4-H Teamsters in this area.

Here's a link to the discussion referred to: http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10347

Latest posts