new pasture help

Help Support CattleToday:

dbro

Reaction score
I currently live on 5 acres and am about to buy the adjoining 5 acre place next to me and with doing that I am strongly considering either A couple of nurse cows, baby calves or goats so if you have a suggestion on which one please advise. Now this land is very rocky and has been cleared a little but still many cedars and small oaks remain. The land to my knowledge has never been cultivated or worked in any regard until now and the grass that is there is just weeds and whatever grows in native Texas ground. I want to send A soil sample to A&M to have them test it but after that what is the proper process to get A good grazing pasture? I know from minimal tilling that the rock is going to be a problem with plowing so is there any other good alternatives or should I with such A small place just start fertilizing and hope for the best? Thanks for any help I need all you can offer

since you don't currently have any livestock-- I would clear the brush and trees-- and then seed it down to a warm season native grass mix, split it up to graze rotationally- and then buy the livestock. 5 acres in most of Tx won't be enough for much more than one cow otherwise.

I don't know, no more than 5 acres I believe I would try to control weeds by mowing first. Cutting 3 times a year before weeds seed out and they will eventually go away if you have some good grasses. That is if I had an interest in keeping native grasses and such. I say this because not all weeds are bad and some of them have a grazing value. If you use chemicals you will also kill your clover, vetch or whatever else might be of value.

Bobaroni":1n2cammc said:
I don't know, no more than 5 acres I believe I would try to control weeds by mowing first. Cutting 3 times a year before weeds seed out and they will eventually go away if you have some good grasses. That is if I had an interest in keeping native grasses and such. I say this because not all weeds are bad and some of them have a grazing value. If you use chemicals you will also kill your clover, vetch or whatever else might be of value.
If you mow to get rid of the weed seed you also mow off the clover and vetch seed. Mow or use herbicide after clover and vetch have gone to seed. Use soil tests, fertilizer and rotational grazing (even on 5 acres) and the weeds will be choked out. The stubborn ones can be spot sprayed or even pulled if there are not to many.

Bobaroni":23zzhiqe said:
If you use chemicals you will also kill your clover, vetch or whatever else might be of value.

Just depends on what kind of chemicals you chose to use. Not all of them kill everything in sight- sure Roundup is suppose to-- but if you've desire is to get an awesome stand of Ragweed, Mare'sTail, or Water Hemp-- then you'll greatly be an over acheiver using Roundup.

There are chemicals that only kill broadleafs- and there are chemicals that only kill grasses. 2-4-D is a great option to kill the broadleafs- and leave your grasses- like CORN. 2-4-D's one of the oldest- and still one of the best-- not a single thing resistant to it.

kfacres":1rdc8z0d said:
Bobaroni":1rdc8z0d said:
If you use chemicals you will also kill your clover, vetch or whatever else might be of value.

Just depends on what kind of chemicals you chose to use. Not all of them kill everything in sight- sure Roundup is suppose to-- but if you've desire is to get an awesome stand of Ragweed, Mare'sTail, or Water Hemp-- then you'll greatly be an over acheiver using Roundup.

There are chemicals that only kill broadleafs- and there are chemicals that only kill grasses. 2-4-D is a great option to kill the broadleafs- and leave your grasses- like CORN. 2-4-D's one of the oldest- and still one of the best-- not a single thing resistant to it.
Which one does not kill clover or vetch? Last I heard they were both broad leaf.

Latest posts