New Milking System (15% more milk, fat)

Help Support CattleToday:

Domjan

Reaction score
I would like to share with dairy managers my patent free of charge, to realize about 15% more milk, fat (it was tested in Israel). I have examined the relationship between the former Israeli udder washing system (wash pen) and yields and I discovered a very interesting and profitable regularity.

You can read its description and evidences:
http://www.goodforecast.com/newmilkingsystem.pps

I look forward to your opinion.
Thanks.

If you know similar observation then please inform me.
For example:
Similar domain: 50-60 minutes (waiting time)
Similar duration: 5-10 minutes (udder washing)
Same place: waiting yard
Thanks.

If you have any question/comment about this idea then please send it in a private message, too.

Thanks.

The Question (1st part)

What do you think about this question (based on the accepted physiological theories)? How many percent does milk yield decrease if the time period of udder washing is 5-8 minutes (yes, 5-8 minutes instead of 20-30 seconds) and cows wait 30 minutes between udder washing and milking (instead of 0.5-1 minute)?

Please answer to yourself alone?

I asked milking experts and I received only sentences without results/data.

I asked the best experts of the world (THE COWS) and they answered by their production data.

"Your decisions are only as good as the information on which they are based."
My decision is based on the DATA OF COWS.

The Registered Patent (2nd part)

Israeli (28/03/2007) and American (04/04/2007) experts informed me there is not any study on wash pen in Israel, USA. I am the one who have examined the effects of wash pen (I have observed it on three Israeli dairy farms and one European farm).

My registered patent is an evidence/publication:
Application date: 18/07/1991
Publication date: 28/12/1994
Date of granting: 30/11/1995
Announcement of grant: 29/01/1996

Basis of my Theory: More oxytocin results more milk (I.) (3rd part)

The article of University of Wisconsin-Madison has also proved the basis: "Net effect of injections at each milking: about 5% increase" See 67th slide of http://www.wisc.edu/dysci/courses/30...06/ExamIII.ppt

Why is my system new?

This is a natural way instead of artificial way (special udder washing instead of injections). I have set the optimal lag time (before milking).
Basis case= about 5% more milk,
Improved case=about 15% more yield.

Basis of my Theory: More oxytocin results more milk (II.) (4th part)

Everybody accepts this view:
„Stimulation can include washing or massaging the udder and forestripping milk out of each quarter. During stimulation nerve impulses cause the pituitary gland to discharge the hormone oxytocin into the blood system.” http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/DS116

The Israeli practice: Waiting yards were equipped with a system of sprinklers for washing udders before milking. It lasted about 5-8 minutes.

Conclusion: more stimulation (5-8 minutes) results more oxytocin

History of the idea (5th part)

I have also learned (out of Israel): „The milking unit should be attached within 40-90 seconds after udder stimulation. This time period is termed “prep-lag time. … 30 second contact time & one to two minute prep-lag time”.

One of the examples: http://www.uwex.edu/MilkQuality/PDF/...andard_ops.pdf

I have been to Israel about 8-9 times: Due to the above I wanted to determine “how the wrong (?) Israeli practice decreases yields”, therefore I have recorded the data in the milking pits.

The results came as a surprise.

Instead of a dismissive/disdainful opinion (“this is a wrong practice, I have learned that ….”) I have examined the method in the practice. I am sure this is the right professional attitude, way. (During 20-30 years there are/were only two methods and nobody examined the second, the Israeli, American practice.)

One of the examples: Google (24/03/2007):
„lag time" milking dairy (37,400 results)
„lag time" milking dairy „ wash pen " (1 results)

Please follow my example to get my results (15% more milk, more fat)
"Your decisions are only as good as the information on which they are based."
My decision was/is based on the DATA OF COWS.

Observation or physiological theories? (6th part)

An interesting and well known story:

If you were a physiologist/medical expert then what would you choose?
The long-standard teaching in medicine is that "the stomach is sterile and nothing grows there because of corrosive gastric juices", but you do not know adequate examine about this widely believed theory. A pathologist says "there are bacteria in the stomach, I have found it, I have the evidence and it causes the ulcers that could be cured by treatment with cheap antibiotic medicine instead of expensive operations".

A, I will disapprove the explanation of the pathologist and I'll follow the accepted theory and I suggest the operations.

B, I will examine the stomach, it is easy, cheap. Every student is able to do a bacteriological test, too.

Mr. Warren (Nobel Prize winner, 2005): "So everybody believed there were no bacteria in the stomach." There were many findings, etc. about its physiological theories. "When I said they were there, no one believed it," he added. "They thought we were mad," said Warren. "It was against all the medical teaching, but we had the evidence." Nobody was ready to examine it (this unconcern is the biggest problem).
Source: http://www.the-scientist.com/news/20051003/01/ http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9576387/

Physiological theories are only assumptions. You should prove it or disapprove it through observations/experiments. The observation is a risk-free and costless method.

New domain/observation, new reasoning (7th part)

If the domain/observation of accepted physiological theory covers my domain/observation then please share its findings with me.

If two domains do not have joint set and the distance is important (see the example) then the generalization (of theory) is unacceptable. This is a stronger, more accepted theory, "dogma".

http://www.washpen.com/domain.JPG

"I agree with the accepted theory" (8th part)

I would like to announce that I agree with the accepted theory: The milking unit should be attached within 40-90 seconds after the first teat contact IN MILKING PARLOUR. But my theory/system belongs ONLY TO WAITING YARD (other domain needs other conclusion).

This udder washing method is not comparable to udder washing of accepted theory: other place (waiting yard instead of milking parlor), other duration (5-10 minutes instead of half minute), other devices (sprinklers instead of accepted tools), other stimulus (only water flow instead of adequate stimulus of milking parlor, e.g. noise of milking machines, view of milking parlor, flashlight, experiences of previous milking, other udder washing, touching of units).

The accepted theory does not cover this domain.
One of the example from the Journal of Dairy Science: http://jds.fass.org/cgi/content/full/88/1/137/F5 Its maximal lag time is 150 seconds instead of about 70 minutes (4200 seconds; only 3.6%!)

Basis of the solution (9th part)

I recorded milking data on some dairy farms (Kibbutz Netzer Sereni (1990), Mizra (1992)) by milking, by herd groups and by milking group and I discovered a very interested regularity. Waiting yards were equipped with a system of sprinklers for washing udders before milking. It lasted about 5-8 minutes.

There was increasing in milk yield (average of maximum points is about 15%). The measure of increasing, the optimal time (maximum point) depended on milking period (time between two milking), etc. Optimal waiting period was 50-55 minutes in mornings, and 28-32 minutes in middays and evenings (between the start of udder washing and the start of milking process). (Milking 3X)

I repeated the observation on other Israeli dairy farm (Kibbutz Ramat David (1998)). I got similar result (extra yields).

In Hungary (in Bohonye) I could make an experiment: an experimental group and a control group. I experienced similar result (extra yields).

Name of Board: "Tips 'n Tricks/ Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything."
I "share" my "knowledge" and "ideas" with members of forums FREE OF CHARGE. What is the problem? My subject is suitable for this "board".

As I wrote on this forum I am sharing my idea with (American) dairy farmers FREE OF CHARGE. To ask for money for this idea/theory is totally impossible. I am not interested in selling sprinklers, controllers, etc. for wash pen (from Europe!). There are 550 viewers (05/05/2007), none of them sent me money, but all of them could realize this idea without me.

If you are sharing idea, you are advertising it. This advertisement is not similar to the advertisement of business. I share every detail of my own idea on the forum. Where is the business?

"+15% extra milk" is one of the best ideas, or maybe the best. No one observed the effects of wash pen. Due to this I have/must to explain it. The forum is the best place.

Wash pen could results +15 more milk. "+15% more milk" is equal to about $632 000 extra incomes per 1000 cows per a year. I want to help American farmers to profit this money, FREE OF CHARGE?

I have other idea, too.
Its story:
I have looked for a co-operation with a well known company about my system.
This company was not willing to answer me, but it started to develop similar module based on my idea, without me. Its vice president sent an e-mail to an expert about this development. I published a sentence from the e-mail and due to this the vice president terminated the development.

If this company had been correct and honest, you would use this system now.
"If a company/expert is able to steal an idea, it/he/she is able to steal your data, too."

Some experts asked from me information about wash pen (I informed them) and they are not willing to answer me. If they are not willing to help (me/American farmers), I share the information with everybody. If I would like to make a business then why did I share its information with experts, companies?

This publication is my and your interest. This subject could be business/profit for you (NOT FOR ME).

A new experiment (10th part)

In Hungary I have made an other experiment, too. It involved 20 cows on a Hungarian dairy farm (in Bohonye) . Half of them were given oxytocin injections of the treatment before the milking (there was not any udder washing, but there was 28-30 minutes lag time).

I got similar extra yields compared to control group. This shows that the cause of extra yields is the better oxytocin mobilization. In Hungary I could examined the fat content and its increasing was about 18%.

What happened? It is a theory. (11th part)

During the udder washing there was a partial oxytocin outflow (before the milking). This helped remove a few (about 15%) milk of glandular tissue to the sinus lactiferi. It changed the distribution of amount milk between glandular tissue and sinus lactiferi. Because of this I could milk the "residual milk", too.

"(partial oxytocin outflow + whole oxytocin outflow)/one milking]" is better then "whole oxytocin outflow/one milking" University of Wisconsin-Madison: "Net effect of injections at each milking: about 5% increase" See 67th slide of http://www.wisc.edu/dysci/courses/30...06/ExamIII.ppt

Example:
http://www.washpen.com/udder.jpg

More oxytocin results more prolactin, more prolactin hormone results more milk-creation.

Further investigations are needed to identify the causes of decreasing milk yield (after maximal points). There is decreasing compared to the maximal point (e.g. +10% extra yield instead of +15%) , but not to the yield of first milking group. The first milking group (after udder washing) has the lowest yield (in the example: 0% extra milk).

Summary (12th part)

Dairy farmers are very interested in these targets:

15% extra milk (increasing in milk fat content (% & kg))
Better persistency (even more extra milk and extra fat)
Fewer health (udder) problems
Faster milking process (+14,4%, better, optimal milk flow rate).
There is less stress on the udders
Very good price/value ratio (sprinklers, timer, water)

Dairy farmers can reach similar increase (15%) during 10-15 years through all other effects (better genetics, better feeding, better veterinary service, better equipments, better milking equipments, etc., etc.). For example: In Israel during 11 years was +13.4% increasing milk. How much is the contribution of a dairy equipment manufacturer? It is about 2-4 percentage point per 11 year. You may offer my idea (and me) for your manufacturer (after your verifying). "+15% in one-step" and I have an idea to improve it.

http://www.washpen.com/icba2.JPG

Israeli dairy farmers had terminated the former udder washing system after 1999. I suspect that my observation could explain the main part of irregular trend (See the presentation, Trend B). There is not any other adequate explanation about the decrease (Trend B). If the trend of 2003-2005 years is similar (parallel) to trend of 1994-1999 then what happened between 2000-2002 years? If the extra yield of first milking group was equal to 0 and the maximum yield was 15% then the average was about 6-8%. See graph:

http://www.washpen.com/icbatrend.JPG

The moderate increase of fat % also could prove me system (see the first graph of the presentation). 1999-1997: important increasing milk & important increasing fat 1999-2001: similar milk & moderate increasing fat (compared to "1994-1997"). 2001-2003: important decreasing milk & similar increasing fat (compared to 1994-1997) The decrease of fat kg also could prove me system.

http://www.washpen.com/icbafat3.JPG

There is not any similar finding (13th part)

Nobody has made the observation about former Israeli udder washing system (and American wash pen) by milking groups (to compare to control groups, to repeat it on other herds and in other country). I have asked the American and Israeli milking advisers. I have made the observation.

Because of this nobody has discovered the regularity about extra yields. Because of these nobody explains the decrease (milk, milk fat kg, 2000-2002) through terminating udder washing, but there is not any other adequate explanation about it. See previous part.

For example: If your answer was "about +6-7%" (see the 1st part) then there is not any further question, you have explained the decrease. If your answer was e.g. "-10%" then your answer creates new question: why happened about -15.8% decrease in time interval of terminating udder washing. -15.8%+10%=-5.8 (see the graph). If the "bad" practice has decreased the yield by -10% then the "good" practice had increased it by +10%.

Why did Israeli farmers terminate the former udder washing system? (14th part)

The accepted standpoint: "because of Somatic Cell Count (SCC)".
No one observed it. There is not any observation, study about effects of wash pen.

See the trends of SCC (15th page): http://www.cattlenetwork.net/docs/wo...Flamenbaum.pdf

http://www.washpen.com/SCC1.jpg

During the former udder washing (1995-1997) was a better, steeper decrease than between 2000-2005 years (without former udder washing). The irregular trend (increase, 1998-1999) could have happened due to the udder washing?

The right answer: It is totally impossible.

The evidence: there were NOT similar equipments (washing) on "family" farms and you can see SIMILAR IRREGULAR TREND, INCREASE in SCC between 1998-1999 years about "family" farms. (Same time interval, same direction of change and similar rate of change)

You have to record the milking data in pit (milk kg and time values each cow), if there is udder washing. (When I milked in morning then I recorded the data in evening, etc., etc.). I was unable to explore this regularity without adequate data; I was able to discover it only in milking pit.

See it to believe it.

If milking data (order(!) and milk kg each cow) is available from your system then you have to convert it into e.g. Excel, Access format. You have to group the data by milking (morning, midday, evening) and by herd group. You have to calculate the average milk yield by milking groups.

For example: There are 2 herd groups (A and B) in Kibbutz Alef (2*120 cows). There are 2*12 milking places in the milking parlour. So there are 10 milking group per herd group. You have to calculate (e.g.):

Average yield of A1 in morning with average time value

Average yield of A2 in morning with average time value

Average yield of A3 in morning with average time value

Average yield of A4 in morning with average time value

Average yield of A5 in morning with average time value

Average yield of A6 in morning with average time value

Average yield of A7 in morning with average time value

Average yield of A8 in morning with average time value

Average yield of A9 in morning with average time value

Average yield of A10 in morning with average time value

Average yield of B1 in morning with average time value

Average yield of B2 in morning with average time value

Average yield of B3 in morning with average time value

Average yield of B4 in morning with average time value

Average yield of B5 in morning with average time value

Average yield of B6 in morning with average time value

Average yield of B7 in morning with average time value

Average yield of B8 in morning with average time value

Average yield of B9 in morning with average time value

Average yield of B10 in morning with average time value

You have to compare the averages and to locate the time value of maximal average milk yield.

For example: Average milk yield of A7 is the maximum (in morning). A7/A1 is amount of the extra milk (e.g. 16%). Time value of A7 is 50 minutes (compared to the starting time of udder washing)

Average milk yield of B7 is the maximum (in morning). B7/B1 is amount of the extra milk (e.g. 15%). Time value of B7 is 52 minutes (compared to the starting time of udder washing)

Average milk yield of A5 is the maximum (in evening). A5/A1 is amount of the extra milk (e.g. 14%). Time value of A5 is 28 minutes (compared to the starting time of udder washing)

Average milk yield of B5 is the maximum (in evening). B5/B1 is amount of the extra milk (e.g. 15%). Time value of B5 is 32 minutes (compared to the starting time of udder washing).

If you don't have knowledge about starting time of udder washing then you can compare to the first milking group, too. If there will be significant difference then my thesis is right.

Latest posts