New mare w/ colt?

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
I picked up a mare w/ about a month old colt the other day. I 'm not sure when she was wormed last, but I was told it's been 6 months or better. Should I just worm her now or wait for the colt to grow some? Will it hurt him to do it now?

The mare is healthy. She eats good, not under weight, has a shiny coat and acts good but I would like to get her on a routine worming schd.

Thanks in advance. :)

I would worm both the mare and the colt now, worm for weight, can't hurt, only help. I worm my foals the first time at a month, like any other baby they put everything in the mouth, including other horses piles.

Alan

Yes, worm the mare. Start with something mild - Strongid PASTE or Panacur Paste. Then 2 weeks later worm her with an Ivermectin. The mare should have been dewormed several times just before birthing the colt in order to pass that along to the colt.

Talk with your vet about deworming the colt. You need to know his weight and not overdose him on the wormer or you will make him VERY sick with a large kill of parasites.

When all else is questionable. you can always do a fecal check.. .but the $10 - $15 buys a couple of tubes of Ivermectin... (or equimectrin or any of that type).
Do not use QUEST at this time for your mare or colt. Later in their lives you can.

gabz":3n0z6nnc said:
Yes, worm the mare. Start with something mild - Strongid PASTE or Panacur Paste. Then 2 weeks later worm her with an Ivermectin. The mare should have been dewormed several times just before birthing the colt in order to pass that along to the colt.

Talk with your vet about deworming the colt. You need to know his weight and not overdose him on the wormer or you will make him VERY sick with a large kill of parasites.

When all else is questionable. you can always do a fecal check.. .but the $10 - $15 buys a couple of tubes of Ivermectin... (or equimectrin or any of that type).
Do not use QUEST at this time for your mare or colt. Later in their lives you can.

I agree. Also if you use quest and have a dog, make sure the dog does not eat the feces. I know it is gross but they do it and it can kill them.

Just make sure your the wormer tube or your Vet says it's okay for a foal, if it's okay for the foal it's okay for an unbred nursing mare. It's not that hard.

Alan

Latest posts