New low

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":ye77mchj said:
Allenw":ye77mchj said:
I don't see any thing here that couldn't be solved by more time setting in the sale barn.
These were the low of the heifer's calves, just 5.... Again, it was not that bad of a calf. Someone nitpicked, maybe those calves or that one was put at the end of the sale...Out of thousands of calves sold from our ranch over the years, having 2 isn't that bad of percentages..And both were iffy. I have too many to choose from to eat, not going to eat a small heifer's calf. SO off to the sale he went. 5 dinky calves is just a drop in the bucket and will not break us or put us into debt. Not worthy of the 30 cents he brought, which is the point of the thread. He was a good meaty 400 pound angus calf...

That's the risk of selling at the sale barn...they are worth exactly what the buyer is willing to pay at that moment..unless you set a minimum or squash the sale, there is no negotiation. Maybe you could do better selling the smaller ones off the farm to folks looking to feed a couple?

I got a solution to cg8 sale prob! Cg,you can send your calves over to Jed to buy and feed then he can have some real good calves to send to okc ,then everyone is happy

I'm curious as to why a big time commercial rancher is selling calves at a sale barn. All the big time commercial ranchers I know sale on superior livestock :hide:

midTN_Brangusman":3dmifho0 said:
I'm curious as to why a big time commercial rancher is selling calves at a sale barn. All the big time commercial ranchers I know sale on superior livestock :hide:

We went through this a few years ago, and the best I can figure is some folks don't need the money. You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

Turkeybird":3609nif6 said:
I got a solution to cg8 sale prob! Cg,you can send your calves over to Jed to buy and feed then he can have some real good calves to send to okc ,then everyone is happy
I've already said in here even if her entire calf crop was steers I could take all of them. She didn't seem interested.

We' re just a mom and pop operation....Its our living, but obviously the only one in this forum doing it for a living. We do what works for us......

I do it to feed my little ole family so I guess that makes me a lil pea in a big pot

I just sold a lone bull calf born first part of June sold him October 20 he weighed 460. Got .73 for him. Should have waited and put him in our freezer but sometimes life gets in the way.

544hydro":205365jl said:
I just sold a lone bull calf born first part of June sold him October 20 he weighed 460. Got .73 for him. Should have waited and put him in our freezer but sometimes life gets in the way.
Exactly.

I haven't been to the sale all year but wow at the prices y'all are putting up. I'd be highly disappointed if I got that for a calf. That will make a small timer want to quit.

Craig Miller":1xhu7p2g said:
I haven't been to the sale all year but wow at the prices y'all are putting up. I'd be highly disappointed if I got that for a calf. That will make a small timer want to quit.
Exactly...why I posted this thread.. According to others I've talked to, do not sell anything odd at the auction sales because they are not bringing anything.
We took some of the biggest calves to the sale yesterday and they did pretty good. Looks like we'll have several wean out at 800... Talked to a pot load buyer. We are going out this morning to see if we can get him a 50,000 load of 4 and 5s color doesn't matter..... I don't know if we could do it all black since we used black Herefords in one herd, we got some reds in that herd....SInce our calves are born in a span of 3 months, even though we have a lot of calves, half are heifers and some are 6 mo and some are 9.....makes it tough.

[/quote]
Exactly...why I posted this thread.. According to others I've talked to, do not sell anything odd at the auction sales because they are not bringing anything. .[/quote]
I sold an ''odd'' one this week that I thought he did well (see the broken jaw thread) maybe it has to do with where you are taking them. Some of these little hole in the wall sales do not have buyers with the right market for anything odd or not black. They also get this game going one for you one for me, you don't bid against me and I wont bid against you.

If it was a sale barn with over 200 head at it there were a couple traders that would have bought your calf if they thought it would be profitable. They would run each other a ways at that price. Any calf that brings .30 with nothing wrong with him would be extremely profitable for somebody, and nobody is leaving a dollar a pound on the table. He had to have had something significantly wrong with him to be worth .30 as kill calves are worth in the .60s right now. Nobody is selling nice 400 lb steers for .30 right now.

Ojp6":37on8nlz said:
If it was a sale barn with over 200 head at it there were a couple traders that would have bought your calf if they thought it would be profitable. They would run each other a ways at that price. Any calf that brings .30 with nothing wrong with him would be extremely profitable for somebody, and nobody is leaving a dollar a pound on the table. He had to have had something significantly wrong with him to be worth .30 as kill calves are worth in the .60s right now. Nobody is selling nice 400 lb steers for .30 right now.
That's why we protested... I think it was an error but, whats done is done...water under the bridge as they say. He was a calm calf, maybe when he moved in the arena his hump got bigger, maybe he was hurt and limped and had a hump....but, I think it was an error and was blamed on the quality of the calf....
We are expecting a call from a guy today to buy off our ranch.. Might be time to pull out the scales again...

cowgirl8":25tu06x2 said:
That's why we protested... I think it was an error but, whats done is done...water under the bridge as they say. He was a calm calf, maybe when he moved in the arena his hump got bigger, maybe he was hurt and limped and had a hump....but, I think it was an error and was blamed on the quality of the calf....
We are expecting a call from a guy today to buy off our ranch.. Might be time to pull out the scales again...
I see a lot of sales that run a recorder, some a video and some just a sound recorder, it might be worth asking them if they run one. They don't always tell people that it is being recorded, when it is but it sure is good for times like this. Just and idea I had and thought it might be worth looking in to.

I'll assume they did and said he had a hump in his back.. He did have a hump, but not sure why that's dockable though to that extent.. He said several calves went through and brought less for less defect... like that would make us feel better....lol

cowgirl8":9oq25t2o said:
I'll assume they did and said he had a hump in his back.. He did have a hump, but not sure why that's dockable though to that extent.. He said several calves went through and brought less for less defect... like that would make us feel better....lol
they look at how they will perform on the feedlot.or in the future..a roachback is considered a defect no matter how we look at it... It effects their ability to travel.. And they will turn up lame at times..

cowgirl8":bdk8hppp said:
Its our living, but obviously the only one in this forum doing it for a living......

Do your fingers move faster than your brain? I can think of several folks on here that do it for a living.

BRYANT":2q70xlzr said:
cowgirl8":2q70xlzr said:
I see a lot of sales that run a recorder, some a video and some just a sound recorder, it might be worth asking them if they run one. They don't always tell people that it is being recorded, when it is but it sure is good for times like this. Just and idea I had and thought it might be worth looking in to.

What's the point? The gavel fell, and the check's probably been cashed. It's not like they're going to make the buyer pay more money.

Latest posts