New low

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Daughter hauled off some this and that calves. So, we put in a few heifer's calves with hers that we held back when we sold the others. We had 5, all but one was black. One was a grey w/f heifer born last of the group and under 400#. One of the black w/f steers weight right at 400, looked ok, healthy. No problem with any, but figured the heifer would go for the least.
Daughter brought us our check and the w/f steer brought 30 cents a pound...............30CENTS. Never in our years of selling old broken down cows, have we ever had anything go that low.
Husband called barn and questioned them. They were shocked too, 30 cents??? They said even if the calf was injured, insurance would pick it up. They said they'd call back, so we wait. I'm guessing it was a typing error and it should have been 1.30, around what the others went for... which is sickening in itself.. but 30, 30 effin cents..no way.

Sale barn owner said the calf had a hump in his back.. Said any lightweight calf that looks different isn't bringing sh1+..said they had a few hit the 20s... Thinking about going to the FB page where they have their sale reports and asking why the low of the lows aren't put in their sale report.. 3 to 4s are reported 1.10 to 1.80.... seems to me they need to be more honest. Our daughters longhorn cross calf, chromed up but built like an angus, will bring nothing according to the sale manager. He's probably 700 pounds. So anyone who looks, well, different is going to be sold private. I have another born with a gimpy eye but looks like he has pink eye. He's getting sold private...This is so sickening.

This calf wasn't rough looking though, You'd be getting angus calves that maybe aren't show worthy. They were heifer calves, but looked pretty good. We had one once docked because it walked posty as they sale director said....we were like WTH. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone bite into a steak and say, "God not another posty steer. They are so chewy." '
This call came at a really bad time. I'm watching 2 of the grandkids and one is resisting potty training.. Its my personal he11, trained 4 kids and never want to go back to that crap, literally, again...lol..For a couple hours I had 3. Had two of them cheer on pooper, well, nonpooper............ Thank god for tablets, both are tucked into their floor beds quietly playing away till they fall asleep....sometime tomorrow i'll be set free. I'm the worst grandmother ever...shouldn't I love doing this?

I'm under the impression the sale barns throw out the highest 10 and lowest 10 and adverage the rest. I saw some calves sell for $0.06 to $0.10 last week, and they even walked out of the ring. Hump back calves don't sell very well here either.

kenny thomas":2jmti7lb said:
https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/KO_LS150.txt
Maybe you should have took them to OKC.
LOL...yeah, i'm sure the drive and wonderful food that brings them back up to their before hauling weights would have brought me more money that would make my drive worth it on these 5 light weight heifer's calves....dang, I should listen more, right...
We still have over 200 to sell, but not heifer's calves. Husband is boss, and he's researching the best way to sell. Its up to him. I know we'll keep most of the heifers and sell privately in groups.

kenny thomas":3d7in8j6 said:
https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/KO_LS150.txt
Maybe you should have took them to OKC.
Kenny don't forget the sale she uses gives free ice cream and OKC doesn't. :banana:

Brute 23":2rdluwkv said:
You can set a minimum usually. I never do but I really should remember. I took a beating on a "rat tail" one time that I should have done it. He would have made a great butcher calf.
I'm really glad I didn't send off a steer from last year that really struggled the first 6 mo of his life. Not sure what was going on, but when we got his herd up to wean, he fell down and wouldn't get up. He seemed lethargic most his life, but I watched him nurse and she was giving milk. It was almost like she wasn't, but at castrating time, we milked all 4 teats and they seemed to be working fine. So I assumed it was a defect somewhere we couldn't see, ie, heart. Anywho, long story short he seems fine now and is looking quite tasty. Its been eons since we had beef in our freezer and we decided we'll eat him. But really glad we didn't send him off with those others. He's a little goofy looking and i'm sure would get docked for some reason or another. His mother had a very nice calf this year that is one of the biggest of the group. I almost pushed to sell her last fall...

I can see why, certain calves are left off the report. The average price, should be figured off of the average calves. Site what true quality calves, that were ready for the next step brought, and move on. I think people glance at this weeks report, and say "hey, I'll sell next week". Pick up the check and get stub shock. I've sold some low quality calves, over the last 3 weeks. It sucked, and I knew it was going to be bad, but I raised em. My circus, my monkeys.

Bigfoot":2e3ck6fh said:
I can see why, certain calves are left off the report. The average price, should be figured off of the average calves. Site what true quality calves, that were ready for the next step brought, and move on. I think people glance at this weeks report, and say "hey, I'll sell next week". Pick up the check and get stub shock. I've sold some low quality calves, over the last 3 weeks. It sucked, and I knew it was going to be bad, but I raised em. My circus, my monkeys.
Good quote Bigfoot, I buy the ones other buyers don't want and make them better. Sometimes you just have to realize what you have ain't the best. But the day you sell them they are what they are. I hope to buy some of the not the best tomorrow.

I can understand the check stub shock. We had gone through that a few times in the past. Now, a calf doesn't get sold at the sale unless one of us is there to watch. On occasion we also have a good friend that is a buyer, moves alot of cattle, and he will have our weight tickets. We took 16 heifers last week. 10 weighed 400, 5 weighed almost 500. One weighed 495 and they put bloated on the ticket. She was not bloated, she was a pig and would just gorge herself on hay every time we put a new roll in. Since she was out of my cow, I was not happy; my son told the buyer friend that if she brought less 1.00/lb. to buy her back. $.50 was the high bid and he said she didn't look very bloated to him. We went back and picked her up Sat morning. She's still out there eating away. She will get sold eventually, I will worm her the next time in the barn and see if that is part of her "pot-gut" look. But, if we did not take precautions, she would have been worth less than 250.00.

These heifers were nothing to write home about but were not real terrible. Brought 1.13 and 1.26 I think. We've sold better and some that were worse.

Hardly ever take one that has had pinkeye with a bad spot left in the eye; or one that had a bit of a deformed hump in the spine one time, because you know they will get killed on price. They are the butcher/beef ones we raise, besides my jersey and guernsey crosses. Have one now that has a crooked nose. He eats good but may not be able to keep all the grain in his mouth due to the deformity. He will be beef next year for someone. His momma had a normal calf the year before and is due anytime again now. We've never had one like that before, sorta like a cleft lip/palate. Also find that the couple of speckled ones get discounted real bad, so we have a steer from one of the blue speckled cows that will also be beef next year. I want to have the hide tanned with hair on, it is so pretty....

A good friend/cattle trader years ago told my son that he made more money on the so-so cattle than he ever could/would on the real nice top-notch ones. Kinda like what Kenny does; and if you know they aren't the best, but you make them better than they were, you can usually do okay.

That is why I don't hesitate to buy the "older" bred cows or c/cf pairs. It is a bit of a joke that after the better cows sell at a cow sale, the "lesser" ones that come through are -------- (our name) Farm type of cows. But I have done more with turning over a few dollars with those type of $800-$1,000 cows than I ever would with the $1500-2500 cows. Sure we bury a few. Just this week found one out at pasture dead. Looked her up, figured she was only about 8 yrs old, had a calf on her. No apparent reason. Got 2 others that we got at the same sale, mouthed and wrote down that they have no teeth, that are doing good and look very good. Calves are decent. So you never know. Buried a 1st calf heifer, one we raised...she had a dead cf about 6 months, no hair but well formed though small. Calf was dead, she was dead right there with it, no idea why. Not going to spend $150 for posting her. Dead is dead, it happens. Everyone else in that group has calved, except 2 that are due in Nov., from a different breeding pasture.

When we take nice calves in we expect them to do good. When they are mediocre, then you hope to do decent. But we don't just drop them off and hope for the best anymore.

I don't see any thing here that couldn't be solved by more time setting in the sale barn.

Allenw":7r26dzwd said:
I don't see any thing here that couldn't be solved by more time setting in the sale barn.
These were the low of the heifer's calves, just 5.... Again, it was not that bad of a calf. Someone nitpicked, maybe those calves or that one was put at the end of the sale...Out of thousands of calves sold from our ranch over the years, having 2 isn't that bad of percentages..And both were iffy. I have too many to choose from to eat, not going to eat a small heifer's calf. SO off to the sale he went. 5 dinky calves is just a drop in the bucket and will not break us or put us into debt. Not worthy of the 30 cents he brought, which is the point of the thread. He was a good meaty 400 pound angus calf...

Latest posts