New Low Record

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Baled 36 acres today and got 42 4X5's normally would have been 120. We are getting just enough rain to keep the grass alive but it sure ain't growing. Bright side fertilize was only 600 a ton this year I have the prettiest short green hay field I ever saw.

No rain, :frowns: No hay to cut and bale, :) No fertilizer bill. :banana: Only downside is no pasture. :(

What we did cut earlier in the spring yielded about 65% of a normal cut.

We are finally getting rain here. Things are looking up. I espect to get two cuttings this year on most fields instead of the normal 4-5 but I have two fields that I've yet to cut once. Some of the locals that lay around waiting on bargain surplus hay are going to be singing the blues this year and those folks who bought a little hay from me in the past that made me chase them down to get my money - well they will be remembered this year for sure.

We're getting rain about every day now. I've cut the field 1 time already for a decent yield, and it's ready to cut again, but no way I'm cutting in this weather. Probably will cut mid to late August.

grannysoo":yw4qk481 said:
We're getting rain about every day now. I've cut the field 1 time already for a decent yield, and it's ready to cut again, but no way I'm cutting in this weather. Probably will cut mid to late August.

We are in the same boat. Hopefully the armyworms won't be too bad this year cause this weather is not the hay weather for sure.

Caustic Burno":3kvtrzuw said:
Baled 36 acres today and got 42 4X5's normally would have been 120. We are getting just enough rain to keep the grass alive but it sure ain't growing. Bright side fertilize was only 600 a ton this year I have the prettiest short green hay field I ever saw.

I hate that for you. Maybe next year we will get our rain again.

A month ago, we were looking good. The tap turned off and now the grass is just burning up. Need some rain soon.

skyline":1wi9hv4u said:
A month ago, we were looking good. The tap turned off and now the grass is just burning up. Need some rain soon.

I know what you mean. We were telling some guys from Carthage about how green we were in Van Zandt County a month ago. It sure has changed. 104 here yesterday and hot as h*ll.

BC":2fe54mef said:
skyline":2fe54mef said:

I know what you mean. We were telling some guys from Carthage about how green we were in Van Zandt County a month ago. It sure has changed. 104 here yesterday and hot as h*ll.

I'm in Harrison County. Trying to work outside on a tractor today and I'm just about to sponataneously combust. Come on October....

We've had storm clouds and thunder all around us the last 3 evenings. No rain. I must not be living right.

I betting on $90 round bales in Dec! This year if the price for hay goes to $90 to $100 a bale I will be selling all my cows and all my hay.

It's a sad day when you can sell your hay and make more money than keeping it and feeding to your cows.

I think alot of people will be doing this due to fuel, fert., and hay prices. Very sad, US gov. better get a grip on all this before this country goes right down the tubes.

Caustic Burno":25o52sff said:
Baled 36 acres today and got 42 4X5's normally would have been 120.

Sorry CB. My coastal is still growing. Deep rooted in that sand. I'm buying 3 weight eared heifers like they are going out of style. If the market falls out, I'll sit on them and turn them to cows. I've got plenty of grazing and hay. Getting out of the hay business. No one wants to pay what hay is worth.

backhoeboogie":1fmyaoyw said:
Caustic Burno":1fmyaoyw said:
Baled 36 acres today and got 42 4X5's normally would have been 120.

Sorry CB. My coastal is still growing. Deep rooted in that sand. I'm buying 3 weight eared heifers like they are going out of style. If the market falls out, I'll sit on them and turn them to cows. I've got plenty of grazing and hay. Getting out of the hay business. No one wants to pay what hay is worth.

Neighbor and I are storing up hay to sell here so many weekenders moving in here. The area is booming with new homes going up on 25 to 30 acre plots. The boomers are moving in in droves everywhere you look 200 to 300,000 dollar homes going up, they all have some kind of livestock with a 40 hp tractor.

Latest posts