New Longhorn Sire

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Here is photo of our new Longhorn herd sire: "Rumble" (Roundup X Deer Fly).

He just arrived in August and has 80" of total horn with a 13" base. He is in need of some more groceries and our feeding program will correct those deficiencies. As a small to medium sized bull, he will be used primarily for our 1st calf Longhorn heifers (as well as other selected cows).

rumble830.07ccresized-1.jpg
[/img]

now thats 1 nice looking bull.has a heck of a set of horns on him.30 days on grass an feed will put some weight on that bull.

Wow! Check out the handlebars on that bull! You need to send him to Spain and see if they will let him run during the "Running of the Bulls". I bet he could clear a street of idiots in no time flat! :lol:

Thanks for y'alls comments!

Yep...with our horse quality bermuda hay we feed Longhorns and Horses, plus our using the Bio Remedies protein tubs with micronutrients, vitamins, and anti-oxidants, will probably "bump him up" to BCS of 5 or so (from his present ~4 score).

He is also very gentle and has already responded to his name and handles very well. He's in a separate area with about 6 of our 1st calf heifers.

His sire, "Roundup", won his 2006 class of total horn at the TLBAA Longhorn showcase with 94-3/8" horn. He has about a 75% contributed Roundup pedigree. His future heifer calves will probably be bred to our Overwhelmer/Jet Jockey/Bail Jumper influenced cow herd. His Dam and Grandam (Deer Fly & Torch, respectively) are both being used in an embryo flush program by their respective breeders).

We have great hopes for him! :)

Is his dam, Deer Fly, the full sister to Wyoming Warpaint? If so she is a great cow. I wouldn't be surprised if Rumble really stamps his calves. You will do very well with this exceptionally bred bull. What family line of cows are you crossing him with? I enjoy studying bloodlines. Best wishes with your new sire!
Stillwater, OK
http://www.premierlonghorns.com

I almost bought the above bull for a customer of mine who was looking for a bull with a lot of horn. But we decided to pass. His back breaks too much and he was too light and small. I hope he does what you want for your program, Bill. Just a word of advice, be sure your cows have a pretty strong topline.

There is no such thing as a perfect bull... Though we keep trying to breed one!! The thing to do is get as many of the most important attributes in one individual and then breed complimentary cows. This particular herd sire has many fine qualities.
Stillwater, OK
http://www.premierlonghorns.com

Ryan":136x9jq7 said:
I almost bought the above bull for a customer of mine who was looking for a bull with a lot of horn. But we decided to pass. His back breaks too much and he was too light and small. I hope he does what you want for your program, Bill. Just a word of advice, be sure your cows have a pretty strong topline.

We have several mature cows with good toplines. Also have come breeding age heifers he has been put with (as well as some coming yearlings) with good toplines.

In our breeding program we are careful to extensively research our genetics as well as "actual" conformation. We also are careful to "balance out" one trait with another to correct for any possible defects. Our herd presently has some of the top "famous" genetics in its lineages; and with our 3 herd sires we are able to do some good cross-breeding as well as line-breeding of selected animals.

Yes, we know he is presently on the "small" side and with our higher quality nutrition program should move into a "medium" sized bull (as far as weight goes). Two reasons we got him: 1. Smaller bull for our 1st calf heifers; and 2. Excellent horn potential for his calves here. Our "Jet Black Phantom" (1850#) bull is on our "full-body" program and he has been putting nice bodied calves on the ground for us. "Rumble" will also be bred to some of our larger sized cows that have significant horn.

Thanks to my wife who spends countless hours researching animals, I think we have make very significant progress in our breeding program since we started in 2001. Our breeding stock has come from Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Louisiana, and Ohio.

Running Arrow Bill":tthl3z5k said:
Ryan":tthl3z5k said:

We have several mature cows with good toplines. Also have come breeding age heifers he has been put with (as well as some coming yearlings) with good toplines.

In our breeding program we are careful to extensively research our genetics as well as "actual" conformation. We also are careful to "balance out" one trait with another to correct for any possible defects. Our herd presently has some of the top "famous" genetics in its lineages; and with our 3 herd sires we are able to do some good cross-breeding as well as line-breeding of selected animals.

Yes, we know he is presently on the "small" side and with our higher quality nutrition program should move into a "medium" sized bull (as far as weight goes). Two reasons we got him: 1. Smaller bull for our 1st calf heifers; and 2. Excellent horn potential for his calves here. Our "Jet Black Phantom" (1850#) bull is on our "full-body" program and he has been putting nice bodied calves on the ground for us. "Rumble" will also be bred to some of our larger sized cows that have significant horn.

Thanks to my wife who spends countless hours researching animals, I think we have make very significant progress in our breeding program since we started in 2001. Our breeding stock has come from Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Louisiana, and Ohio.

Bill, my hat's off to you. :tiphat:

Ya'll run an excellent program out there, and if I had the finances, (with the way this drought is going, I'll be lucky not to have to sell out), I would be honored to purchase some of your stock. That's a fine bull, with great horn and top breeding. Don't let the naysayers sway you. (Not like they can. :lol: )

Appreciate all the compliments everyone! We are trying our best to run a quality program.

We have over 5,000 sires and dams in our database that we use for computer simulated "what if" (bloodline) breedings. The database covers some 25 years back as we add prominent animals to it. Since the majority of cattle people want animals that look good and work for them "in the pasture", the show animals are just primarily that (for whatever the purpose).

Our program strives to produce quality animals in "pasture condition", not "show condition", since we only rarely take an animal to a show. Several of our matings have produced calves that have exceeded the conformation of their dam. The proof is what the sire and dam can produce, not what they always look like themselves...this is how the breed is improved in future offspring and matings.

In our program, if one of our bulls works for us in our matings, then he stays until he proves otherwise...if he doesn't do something for "our" program, he grows wheels. We are not married to any given bull (or dam, for that matter). We have sold several quality bulls to other breeders over the past 5 years that didn't fit our on-going herd improvement program. Essentially, each of our bulls is tried out on each of our females to see what works (assuming the bull/cow pairing is appropriate in the first place).

I have seen him before, but cannot remember which ranchs web-site he was on? Sand Hills maybe?

hi all,

this is bill's other half... grins

many thanks for the compliments on our new bull, rumble...and our breeding program.

yes, his dam "deer fly" is full sister to wyoming warpaint... i talked to her owner and she is doing a fine job for him... grins
(wish i had a feather...and a money tree! lol)

yes, he needs to be watched with his back... but looking at his calves, i did not see any problem.... i did see nicely balanced offspring.. that were normal sized.... (no runts)

yes he is a small bull... but with careful selection of the mature females in our herd to mate him with... he will do a good job... the 1st time females will all go to him... (now we will no longer have to keep a unproven jr. herdsire for those)

(p.s. this means we will be selling off bulls at weaning time.. so if you happen to like one of them... better speak up before they get weaned... as they have to grow wheels as soon as possible to keep room for heifers and dams...)

check out sage's shadow bull calf... he is worthy of being a potential herd sire... we have rumble and dont need him now...

yes, he was at dora's ranch... sand hills in LA.... she has a very nice program going... i just drooled the whole time i was there! grins

rumble is 75% Roundup... (i am trying to learn all i can about selective line breeding)... like what owen mcgill has done with roundup genetics.... grins

(and i too bought the book from jim lents "the basis of linebreeding" in order to figure out how to do it right... anybody want to p.m. and compare notes on this?

and when i grow up i want to have a herd like hers... grins she really has quality animals... it would so hard to pick and choose if i had more monies to spend at her place... my hat is off to dora... her program is the tops in my book...

as for our program... we bred them for a total package... body, pedigree, balance and finally horn and color... but yes... we are still chasing horn too... grins but will take balance over horn first...

we firmly believe that the longhorn can still contribute even today... and put a straight longhorn in our own freezer too...

yes, most of them are/can be pasture pretties.... but with very careful selection as to the job you want them to do, can find that longhorn to fit that job.... (cant say that phantom is a roper bull)

(ryan's program is another focusing on full beef bodies...which is another proof that longhorn can be bred to fit that need)

** choose the animal that fits your goals and needs.....

with jet black phantom, spock, and now rumble... we can offer different sizes and needs...

1. large size = phantom (with black) mature...1860 lbs 58" hip
2. medium size = spock (roan with black) not mature...1425 lbs 56" hip
3. small size = rumble (roan with brown) will weigh 1200-1250 lbs 52" hip height

but we always strive hard for "balanced" bodies.. quality pedigrees.... and horn

as for our females we have a couple that are the small traditional size (800-900).... the main cow herd is weighing at 1000 to 1100... with a couple over that... so we have a good selection to choose from..

with "balance" as our key selection tool....

----------

sorry guys... this is why i stay off the boards and let bill do the talking... i get too long winded about the longhorns.... lol

but will welcome any p.m.'s to further talk.... there is always something to learn about cattle..... and yes, i do borrow info from the commercial guys.... they know things that i am willing to learn... grins

----------------------------------

i see myself as a "dragon rider"

i see commercial cattle men as "dragon slayers"

both deal with dragons!

(and most importantly)

i see us both dealing with the critters we love.....no matter the color of the hide, the body shape, or the horn or lack of it... we all deal with dragons! and the sharing of info on our dragons is most important!

magpie

In anyone's breeding program it is important to differentiate between minor "correctable" traits and major "permanent" traits. The minor traits can be corrected and managed by selecting a sire or dam that does not have that so-called "defect"...it may take 1 or 2 calf generations to remove it (more or less).

It's important to go back several generations to see what colors, overall conformation, milking ability, top/bottomline, temperament, etc., etc. a given sire or dam's ancestors have. For example, if one has a Longhorn sire with real straight out horns, then mating that bull with a female who has an upright "goal post" type horn design, there is a good chance the offspring will have a horn design that is somewhere in between the two extremes. Extremes will enhance minor traits and vice versa.

Some traits are highly inheritable, such as milking ability, temperament, etc. Whatever those traits are, they should be managed intelligently when choosing mating strategies with their animals.

Latest posts