New Longhorn calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Rustler9

Reaction score
d40a83fb.jpg

Tell me that a Longhorn calf ain't cute. No really, I was snapping some pics of some of the new calves and thought this little bugger was so cute that you folks might like to see him. :D

Chuckie":3ue3zwv5 said:
That is a nice calf. I like the colors that come on the Longhorns. Are Longhorns pretty laid back? What kind of disposition do they have?

Agree, a nice looking calf!

Longhorns tend to be more laid back than some other breeds. Lot depends on breeding selection. They also train easily and have rather short flight zones. Some are so inherently tame it is difficult to get them out of the way sometimes...lol. We've had 2 bulls (3 yr old and a young yearling) that you could get behind them and push them to get them to move...the exception for sure.

A few longhorns, especially ones with limited exposure to humans can be little wild: calve in a huge pasture, rarely ever see a human. A rare one otherwise can turn up nasty, esp. if she has a calf. Those are cull potential and are the exception for temperament.

By being around them a lot, walking around & among them, you get an idea very quickly about their behaviors & personalities; then, you manage them according to their personalities. A good Longhorn mama will allow you to pick up her newborn calf (under 48 hours old), weigh it, etc. and she won't bother you. Establishing trust with each animal is important and they know you aren't going to hurt them or their calves.

Given a good temperament (and the responsible breeders breed for this), you can walk around, through them in a tight space and they will position their horns away from you when they pass. Some you can even grab one of their horns and push it back and forth without incident.

Some people a few towns over have two really nice Longhorn steers in their pasture. I think they must be steers, I have never seen them real close to the fence. They are huge and so are the horns. These are the only two they have. They are dark red at the front and slowly turn to white about midways and then the spots mixed in. They are really showy. I figured they just like looking at them. I slow down every time I go by there to see. It has been a while since I driven by, and I don't know if they still have them. They are really good looking cattle.

Heres 'Chip' and his mom. I thoroughly enjoy the few Longhorns we have. They eat anything and always have fly free coats, shiny ones at that. Friendly, strong and unaffected by the weather, for me, their slightly lower market value is offset by many positive traits (lower feed costs, nearly zero medical expenses) seems like they just thrive here in the panhandle.
IMG_0106.jpg

mr rafter E

nice color on that little LH calf. if you can teach you longhorns to eat them meskeets leaves and branches to, then you will really hit the jack pot wont you :lol:

seen some of the other pictures of your cattle that you posted and it looks like you have a real asortment. but i like em.

take care TUCO

Rafter E what part of Panhandle are you in? We're between Shamrock and Childress on US 83.

Yes, ours do very well here at our location. We have 37 at present. Have number of photos of herd on our website. Haven't put all of our 15 spring calves photos on site yet. Our bunch are happy campers.

Nice looking. I've got some new pictures as well. Guess I need to try my bumbling at the photobucket again, see if I can figure out how to get them on the boards. I really think part of the problem is in this old computer.

100_0153.jpg

Here's a little two year old heifer and her first calf- a heifer that was born on Sunday. It's so nice to go out to the pasture and these little tykes are up and running around.

Rustler9, I had a heifer that looks just like that one you posted. no white all brown. is yours a cross or is it all Longhorn?? the reason I ask is my cow came bred and I don't know what daddy was. I have never seen a solid LH.

She's probably purebred-mine are registered. This heifer's mother is solid red. I have some others that are solid as well. I'll try to post some more pics.

Rojo.jpg

_0038Loretta.jpg

_0028.jpg

_0014.jpg

Here's more solid cattle in my herd. Most of my cattle are spotted, roan, lineback etc. but I have a few solids. The second one pictured here is the daughter of the fourth one pictured. The red cow laying down here is the mother of the red heifer with the new calf that was born on Sunday. The first heifer pictured here is out of a black and white cow and a black and white bull so go figure. All are purebred and registered.

Great pictures Rustler, thanks.

TUCO...I'll watch'em and let you know if they start eating the branches. Since mesquite are such 'wonderful', 'thrifty' trees, I guess I won't run out of Longhorn food for a long time, even if they eat the trunks and roots. Thanks for letting me know you enjoy the pics, yes, we have a who's who of breeds and colors, kinda like it that way.

Running Arrow...We are northwest of you between Dumas and Borger, right on lake Meredith. I have seen your website, and may want to visit with you about getting a Longhorn bull. We have lots of heifers and 'Chip' won't be up to the task for a while yet. I would prefer to use a Longhorn rather than the Simmi or Angus bulls we have.

Rafter E":2rkrwqnm said:
Great pictures Rustler, thanks.

TUCO...I'll watch'em and let you know if they start eating the branches. Since mesquite are such 'wonderful', 'thrifty' trees, I guess I won't run out of Longhorn food for a long time, even if they eat the trunks and roots. Thanks for letting me know you enjoy the pics, yes, we have a who's who of breeds and colors, kinda like it that way.

Running Arrow...We are northwest of you between Dumas and Borger, right on lake Meredith. I have seen your website, and may want to visit with you about getting a Longhorn bull. We have lots of heifers and 'Chip' won't be up to the task for a while yet. I would prefer to use a Longhorn rather than the Simmi or Angus bulls we have.

Thanks for looking at our website!

We have 2 breeding age LH bulls that have been semen tested: RAF Majesty's Prince and RAF Gracie's Patches. Had some other bull calves in this Spring's crop (Service age 2006).

Come pay us a visit! Coffee pot's on!

Rustler9":1pb8a5mg said:
d40a83fb.jpg

Tell me that a Longhorn calf ain't cute. No really, I was snapping some pics of some of the new calves and thought this little bugger was so cute that you folks might like to see him. :D
:) ALL baby animals are "Cute"! The question is are you in the business of raising "Cute" or raising "Beef"? :)

this is a bull we are using to add beef to our longhorns, we have 8 spring calves on the ground by him and even tho they are only 42 - 55 lbs at birth, they are growing like weeds. and not only i can see, but others have commented on the fact that his calves are thicker than my other longhorn calves. he is out of a top longhorn sire for the longhorn world

and was quote: "OVERWHELMER - is sired by Cowcatcher, out of the famous Doherty 698. Some feel Overwhelmer, a many times World's Champion Sire & World's champion Get of Sire himself, is the superior sire in the history of the breed. He sires size demanded by the commercial and show industry, and he sires horn demanded by those paying the big prices. He combines both opposite segments of the industry in one bull and also consistently sires dark red and spotted animals." unquote

we have the only KNOWN solid black son of overwhelmer, we are getting solid colored babies out of solid colored mamas, and fancy colored babies out of mamas that have a lot of white, one solor color baby out of a mama that is approx. 60% white. and a brown calf with a black nose out of him and a solid black mama longhorn, this calf will turn black when she sheds out of her baby coat.

yes, even when you mate two solids together, or two fancy colors together you dont know what you get... sometimes that calf doesnt look like either parent in coloring.... that is a longhorn.

but surely... having less stress on the first time commerical mama and a live baby on the ground that you can get 300 to 400 dollars at the sale barn at weaning time must be better than.... pulling calves, losing a calf, and/or losing a mama? some monies is better than no monies??? a live mama and calf is better than a dead mama and calf??

as a registered longhorn breeder my personal goal is to give the local people around me "another option" to their calving problems. and am working having beefier longhorn bull calves that our local commercial guys can use on their 1st time mamas and not get hit quite so hard when they sell their crossbred calves at weaning time.

"with the correct longhorn bull"you can put a calf on the ground and as long as the color doesnt give you away, nobody can tell by looking at them that they are half longhorn.

we have a brangus herd nearby that bought one of our young bulls to "lean" out their stock.

we have a beefmaster herd that was so tired of pulling calves, (25+) and lost a $1500.00 1st time mama, that he bought a young bull from us. (he told me the value of his cow that he had lost, i didnt pull that figure out of thin air) and the peace of mind that he has by using a longhorn in a terminal cross is worth loosing some monies at the sale barn.

and the beefmaster's brother rented a bull of ours for his angus herd.

now, this fall, i will go back to these people and ask them how they did selling these longhorn crosses out of "our" longhorns. because i did NOT let them have bulls that were "roper" stock.

the roper style stock got banded and either put in the freezer or sold as weanlings to the sale barn. we are not in the "roper" market, and wont let a bull off of our place for commercial breeding unless he has enough beef himself to do a good job as a commercial breeder.

we have 3 mamas that give us beefy style babies, because the mamas have show stock pedigrees behind them.

it takes careful selection on my part to find these animals, i have spent many hours researching the different lines of longhorns to find what best fits my needs, then i match the mating to the animal and what i think will best work for what that animal is capable of.

this is no different than what you commercial guys do with your epd's. we just have an additional color factor to deal with besides culling for conformation, milking ablility, weaning weights, yearling weights, dispostion, etc.

the two main reasons in my research that the longhorns almost died out was:

1. for the 1800's tallow (fat) was needed for those times, --that is something that the longhorn carries around it's internal organs, not the same as the commercial beef. that is why the commerical breeds were developed, to get that "tallow" content that was needed for those times.

2. the longhorns are "highly efficient as a terminal cross", they were used so extensively back in the early days for this, that soon you had to hunt hard to even find full bloods back then.

these facts are not highly known to people that have not taken the trouble to research the longhorns history.

yes, without "careful selection" it is easy to miss the advantages that the longhorn can offer.

there are longhorn breeders scattered throughout the country that feel as we do, and will treat the longhorn as a beef animal. but the true beauty of the breed is it versatility in all the things it can do, besides just being a pasture ornament.

sorry for being long, but you can get beef with your longhorns, you just have to hunt harder to find the animal that will do it for you. but it is possible.

at least with my longhorn freezer beef i am not paying the butcher to cut off unnessary fat because it is already naturally lean with less cholesterol than chicken.

magpie

[/img]
JBP5.jpg

Latest posts