New info on Paris salebarn

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
I've heard the guy building it out of spite died. Had 3 million in it and now he's gone. How sad that the last few years of his life was so filled with hate that he spent that much money to put someone out of business, only to die never seeing it open.
I heard the future of this barn is unknown. If anyone else has heard anything about it, i'd like to know...

cowgirl8":z71ap7tt said:
I've heard the guy building it out of spite died. Had 3 million in it and now he's gone. How sad that the last few years of his life was so filled with hate that he spent that much money to put someone out of business, only to die never seeing it open.
I heard the future of this barn is unknown. If anyone else has heard anything about it, i'd like to know...

He built it to spite someone? Must have been wealthy? Wonder if he tried to take some to the Happy Hunting Grounds?

Actually a pretty common strategy in business. Being willing to lose money for several years to kill off the competition can pay big in the long run.

I read somewhere that when Walmart was really throwing up the stores. Around y2k ( We where building the garden centers at that time. )
They're business model was to lose money for up to 10years

callmefence":2hyg6x2z said:
Actually a pretty common strategy in business. Being willing to lose money for several years to kill off the competition can pay big in the long run.

I read somewhere that when Walmart was really throwing up the stores. Around y2k ( We where building the garden centers at that time. )
They're business model was to lose money for up to 10years

Excellent point. The guy was wealthy for a reason!

Other than he had no intent to open a sale barn until one of them, from what I heard, bought some land out of under him on the other side of paris. Its so obvious that he did it with ill feelings. Built spitting distance from the new barn in paris and twice as big. Planned on having 2 sales a week, same days as the other 2. I know there was a scuffle a few years ago when the second barn bought some land to build their barn on out past Reno. Spite man bought some to the west of it, but had some zoning problems with it and could not build on that spot. So, it sits, and I mean, right next of the 2nd barn..YOu drive up and the second barn which seemed big when it sat alone, looks like a outhouse next to the 3rd one...It was going to be quite the facility....

I think the first property he was getting, there were zoning laws that applied. Maybe it was in the city limits and just down the road they were out of city limits which was just the other side of number 2 barn.

RanchMan90":25ssqeqp said:
http://www.fry-gibbs.com/obituary/4302594

I met him a couple of times at one of his working pens on FM 2352 in Lamar County a few years ago, tho they likely wouldn't know me from adam. I used to go up and watch them work cattle while my wife was visiting with her family about 1/2 mile up the road toward FM 37 North of Paris and Sumner. Saw them do a C section on a good looking cow that went down in the chute and suffocated and they tried to save the calf. Didn't work. He seemed like a nice enough guy and he and QB Stevens were well liked there in the community of Georgia (pronounced 'Georgie') from what my in-laws said.
They run baldies and brangus.
I know nothing of his business dealings at all.

Latest posts