img7424k.jpg

By herfrds at 2011-11-20

img7423b.jpg

By herfrds at 2011-11-20

img7434fq.jpg

By herfrds at 2011-11-20

I luv herfrds":2ifdmkor said:
Wood stove is operational. :banana: :banana:

Hubby got the stove pipe through the roof and the stove was hooked up. Running nicely.
I think it would be warmer if we had the ceiling sheet rocked and the attic insulated, but that might have to wait a little while.
Waiting for the guy to come give us a bid on mudding and taping the house.

Such a damp cold here tonight going to heat up some apple cider.

ILH, is your ceiling open or do you have attic?
Bear

I luv herfrds":3jp6s4wd said:
Bear it is going to have an attic. It is open at the moment.

The reason I asked is to make sure that you and your husband know that there is a metal thimble that is installed in the framing of your ceiling for your stove pipe to connect to on the bottom and the stainless pipe connects to on the top. There is also an insulation shield that goes on over the top of the thimble that the stainless liner passes through to connect to the framing thimble. These items create separation from combustible materials and are very important in preventing fires if there should happen to be a flu fire.

We love our stove. Nothing better than coming in on a cold day cozying up to a hot stove.
Your house is looking great!
Bear

I'll get a picture for you Bear of the stove pipe.
He did get the thimble up there and then the triple wall pipe above it.

We were discussing this morning several other items and things we want to get done.
Sheet rock, heat mats, soffits, plumbing, attic ladder, the list goes on and on.
I went flooring shopping (window shopping didn't buy anything) but I did find some nice
tile and laminate to go through the house. Also some carpet.
Soon I am going to have to have my Aunt come out. She is good at decorating.

Just wish my husband would hurry up with the electrical. I don't mess with that stuff.
Then I can help him with the plumbing and then the sheet rock.

Had a lumber yard treat me like I didn't know anything when I went in to get pricing
for sheet rock and the bathroom wallboard. Had a little chat with the manager about
how I am sick of that store treating me like an idiot; they had done it before.
Enjoyed telling him they just blew getting us to spend over $20,000 there not
counting the $18,000 it was going to cost us to build our porch and deck.
Guy sounded a little sick on the phone.

man your new house is really looking great an coming togather.i hate when people treat me the way you was treated.an i usually do what you did,tell them how much business they just lost.

Looks great!
I love Montana, lived in Great Falls little over a year in the 80's

By the way I'm a tile Distributor and the Heatmats are great in a bathroom.
Once you have them you'll never go back to a cold floor again.

Keep up the good work!

Bill

Here you go Bear
IMG_7436.jpg

IMG_7437.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg

IMG_7441.jpg

This is what caused a huge disagreement.
Hubby thought he asked if I wanted this certain floorplan, when what it was was him bugging me about getting a certain eletrical cord for the stove.
We had measured everything out and marked it and he looked at the wrong florrplan so everything was off by 10 inches.
Got everything straightened out now though and he moved the box.

IMG_7442.jpg

ILH, I don't see the insulation shield. There is an insulation shield that the triple wall or stainless flu goes thru and then your flu mounts to the framing thimble. The insulation shield mounts on top of the ceiling framing and usually stands 16-18 inches above the top of the ceiling joists. The shield prevents blown insulation from falling down inside the framing thimble and catching on fire. This area is a transition point between single wall flu and triple wall flu and can get pretty warm under normal conditions and can get red hot during a flu fire. Let me know if you need more information on the shield.

I may be seeing the picture wrong, but it appears that the male end of the flu pipe is going up inside the framing thimble pipe. You should be able to get a female end on the pipe to go over the pipe from the framing thimble. You will also want other joints to go together this way, male end pointing down inside the female end. When creosote starts running down the inside of the pipe it will leak out the joints to the outside of the flu pipe when the male is pointing up inside the female. When you run the joints the other way the creosote will stay on the inside of the pipe. They also make a slip joint piece that you may want to use for the first sections out of the stove. When your ready to clean your flu, you just slide the pipe up a couple of feet to get your flu brush and rods up inside the flu to clean and when you are finished just pull it back down to the stove. I would clean every year just before the heat season. You would be surprised how much creosote builds up in just one season.
Bear

Thanks Bear. Talked with hubby and he said he still has to get the shield.

He's started working on the electrical again. Hope he gets it done before the first of the year so we can get the inspector back out to give us the go ahead to start drywalling and insulating the house.
Did some figuring and just for our bathroom we are going to need 20 sheets of the drywall we are going to put in there. That includes a couple of extra sheets just in case. Worse part is the board I picked runs at $25 a sheet. But it is water resistant and mold resistant.

Well hubby has the kitchen 99% wired for electrical only thing left is the 6 pop lights left.
He plans to work on the outlets on the walls. Hopefully he will have that finished in a short amount of time then we can have it inspected and then start closing it in.

Got the bid for the mudding and taping. $4500. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Getting another bid.

Hubby came in for dinner and the south half of the house is done. :banana:
Now he just has to finish the north half of the electrical of the house.

He's worried he might run out of wire before he has finished it. Might have to pick up some more tomorrow.

the guy that bid the taping and mudding was willing to barter. He asked for 1 steer for the next 2 years. Even with the processing that is cheaper then the $4500.
Thoughts on this? would you guys do the barter?

Jim we had another guy come out to give us a bid. There is another guy who also does mudding and taping I was told about, going to call him too and see what he bids. So we are getting at least 3 bids. We're not rushing this.

The second guy that came out had several suggestions for us which was great. He suggested some 2"x4" studs being placed between some of the upright studding in the kitchen fir out so we had something solid to hang our cabinets on. Never thought of that. He also suggested that as we hang the dry wall on the ceiling we should also roll out the insulation. So we do one row of sheet rock and roll out the insulation and repeat. Less chance of slipping and putting a foot through the ceiling.

1 steer/year for the next 2 doesn't sound bad, if he can do a good job for you. And also, it will take time to raise them, so it seems you would plenty of time to deal with the guy if there is any problem with his work that shows up during that time. If you go that way, make sure you do up something on paper that states his work meets your local code, that there is a warranty of some sort for a reasonable period of time, etc. . . AND that he not file a mechanics lien against your property.

It's all looking really nice!

Kathie we got burned on a barter before so it will go on paper if we do that again.

Hubby has been busting his hump to get the electrical run. Just has the office left for wall outlets. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I picked up more wire yesterday along with the bathroom vents. He is going to wire those in but we are not ready to run the vent pipes yet. Has my range hood left to do too.
Almost done!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Hubby got the outlets done tonight!!!!

Only has a few things left to wire and once that is done we call the inspector.

now thats great news,i know your hubby has been putting in alot of long hours on the new house.an that he an you will put in meny more till its completed.

Latest posts