New Holland BR780 & BR780A

Help Support CattleToday:

SSS Angus

Reaction score
After our last fiasco of driving half way across the country to purchase a JD baler we have found two prospective balers local. One is a 06' BR780 and the other is an 06' BR780A. I'm looking for any input from you guy that own or run one of these balers. Both balers are net wrap and one has the wide pickup on it, what are the advantages of a wide pickup other than having a little extra pickup area to cover the edges of "wind blown" windrows? Also, does anyone know the differences between the BR780 & the BR780A? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS.... :)

I have a BR740 bought it in 2004 new with wide pick-up, net and as a silage special. It is a very good and smooth running baler.The silage special has endless belts (no laces to pull out). Cousin has a john deere baler new last year and has trouble with the laces when baling wet hay.

c farmer":39i5plvo said:
I have a BR740 bought it in 2004 new with wide pick-up, net and as a silage special. It is a very good and smooth running baler.The silage special has endless belts (no laces to pull out). Cousin has a john deere baler new last year and has trouble with the laces when baling wet hay.

Both of the balers we're looking at have laced belts on them but luckly I have plenty of experience around belting. I worked in a belting shop from the age of 13 till almost 18 so I have my fair share of experience plus my brother still works for the belt shop and has been there for about 14yrs. so between the two of us, If need be, we can fab up & install endless belts. :D

I was really trying to find out info on the pick ups to see if not having a wider pickup would be a big deal or not.?.? I also wanted to see what kind of reliability they have had, aswell as the differences between the BR780 & the BR780A. I have found an issue with the stuffer augers on the wider pickup machines but other than that nothing. Below are how both machines are optioned out:

--BR780--
- Net wrap
- Extra sweep pickup
- 2400 bales

--BR780A--
- Net wrap
- Standard pickup
- 1500 bales

Both have the Bale Command monitor & the BR780A is around $1000 cheaper. The paint condition of the BR780A appears to be in a little better shape from the pictures aswell, we are going to look at both balers this weekend and WILL be coming home with one of them because hay season is upon us. :banana:

Thoughts? Pro's, Con's or otherwise?

FWIW I have a NH664, which is very similar. The basic design has been around since the 660. Good solid baler. I can't comment on the net wrap since I have never used it. One use I have heard on the wide pickup was as follows. Set the windrow from your Mower Conditioner so that it is 6" to 12" wider than the baler. The wider windrow will dry out faster. The extra material is fed into the outside edges of the bale resulting in a very nice, square shouldered bale.

John

I have about 2000 bales on my unit and have not had any problems with the pick-up. I like having the wideunit because some of our hay fields are very high producers and fills the pick-up, easier to get all of the hay on turns,or we have a lot of wind and after raking the wind will sometimes blow the hay alittle making wider windrows.

I'd buy the 780A and put gathering wheels on it. The wide pickups turn slower so if you're in lighter hay, you'll lose some ground speed. The wide pickups do give more grief as well, although I often wonder if that isn't a maintenance thing. As far as the difference between the 780A and the 780, there were some minor change ups on the 780A, but nothing that really affected the machine a whole bunch.

By the way, they are good machines. Definitely the best hard core baler going.

I'm sorry, I'm not at all sure what the changes were and when I've looked at either I couldn't see any difference at all. The sales guy couldn't tell me either. They'd be extremely minor though, otherwise NH would have assigned a whole new number.

Rod

I like the wide pickups because I bale alot of the cane type grasses,windrows have to be wide when you are doing 5 to 6 ft tall & thick grass,its the only way you have a chance of getting them dry before they get rained on.
If all I was gonna do was the bemudas and fine stemmed grasses,I would go with the standard pickup and save some money................good luck
IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

Thanks for all of the great replies guys. Instead of buying into someone elses problem we decided to go the new baler route. We purchase a BR7090 (5X6) with the hydraulic extra sweep pickup (82") and net wrap. It should be delivered Tues. and get it's first use in a week or so. Hope all goes well.. :)

Latest posts