new,,help me out

Help Support CattleToday:

KY

Reaction score
Recently my sister in law brought her horse to my farm, to say the least I know nothing about horses,we only have cows. Ok here lies the questions, he was on a lot with 4 other horses with only hay that I could tell, now he is on 22 acres, will he eat to much grass,also hay available. She also said to feed a gallon of sweet feed,oats,cracked corn mixture a day. He has lost alot of weight since we moved him in the summer and he is about 16 years old I think. He hasnt quit eating since he has been here,thursday. Thanks :oops:

Watch him when he eats. If the grain falls back out of his mouth he might need his teeth floated. Also, when was the last time he was wormed?

Whatever you do - make sure the change of feed is done gradually. If you don't make changes in hay & grain slowly he could have alot of problems with colic. I would have his teeth checked & worm him like certherbeef said. If he is losing teeth you may need to feed him softer feeds or mashes. Are you finding chewed up hay spit out? Have you watched him eat? How much actually is he eating? Maybe a senior feed would be better for him than a sweet feed. You can add a little vegetable oil to his feed too & that will add a little fat calories. Remember - whatever you do , make sure you make the changes over several days & don't overload his system at one time. Also make sure he has free choice salt / mineral available at all times.

feed does seem to fall out of his mouth some have no idea when the last time he was wormed . Also we asked her about a mineral block and she said she only gives it in the summer am I wrong but shouldn't he be gettin it now. we have mineral out for the cows will that be ok for him

Also he has an absest( said it was a tooth) on his jaw that has broke open it was there when she bought him vet came out last summer and gave med for it I ask her if it was gone because she had alot of trouble with it she said yes,Today when I was looking at him I noticed it still there is there anything we can do for it, iI guess its been there going on a year I don't think she knows much about him as she acts. Do I need the vet

Yes, I would have a vet look at the tooth absess. Also be extremely careful because some of the feeds & proteins etc that you feed cows will kill a horse. I ask at the feed store no matter what it is - Can a horse eat this? I don't even have my horses with my cows but what if a horse got in the pasture some how ? I just don't take any chances. Urea for example & I believe it is lascolid? Not sure but do some research & always ask! I would think maybe he isn't eating as much as you think if he has a tooth absess & that could be why he is losing weight. He should have salt/ mineral year round. & of course fresh water!

Definitely have an EQUINE vet check horse out. Very probably needs some dental care. Also de-worm with quality paste de-wormer.

Feed quality pelleted feed, increase GRADUALLY, and ONLY that designed for a horse. Same for the mineral blocks...make sure they are horse blocks.

Minerals, fresh water, salt year around, free choice.

We de-worm our horses with oral paste every 2 months, rotating the products to keep the bugs confused.

One gallon of "feed" seems too much per day for a horse on pasture...we'll only feed about 1 or 2 cupfulls daily along with pasture and hay 2X a day. Would stay away from any corn. Compare bagged feed labels for ingredients. Protein level probably shouldn't be higher than about 12% for an average or no activity horse. Check manure frequently to see how and what is being processed.

I know comments like the one I am about to make don't fly real well on the horse boards, forgive me, but I am going to say it anyway...

It sounds to me like the most humane thing to do with this particular animal is a lead boluse of some sort from an uninvolved, unattached party.

He was a heathly hoarse vet said last summer that his teeth looked great and that he didnt look like he was as old as he is. I am thinking that the reason he lost weight is because the people werent feeding them very good. Because they have all lost weight. Thats the reason we moved him here because I try to take very good care of all the animals here. We have raised two steers for my brother in law that are ready to kill, that look great. Plus all the calves we raise,bottle holstein steers and have really good luck this year,only lost 2 out of 14. I love animals and do my very best with them. I just know nothing about horses so I thought I would ask yall for some info thanks to all for the replies.

As Running Bill said, start by worming your horse, you can get a good paste wormer from a feed store. Different wormers have different components to them, so rotated the type of wormer every 4 to 6 weeks for about 3 or 4 doses. This way the worms won't get immune to the wormer and doing it so often, for 3 or 4 doses, assures that you will get the worms at all stages of life. Unless your horse will be around outside horse, going to shows or trail rides with unknown horses, I would worm about three to four time a year.

All horses drop grain on the ground or back into the bucket when they eat, that's not a good test for someone new to horses. But do have the teeth checked and floated by a Vet, they get hooks and points on them that make it painful for the horse to eat. They will lose weight and could colic and die if not kept up. This should be done every couple of years. If you have male horse Gelding or Stallion have the Vet clean the sheath while your horse is on drugs (sedation). If stallion: geld while on drugs!

I agree that a gallon of grain is too much for a horse on pasture, I would give him/her a couple of hand fulls of a "dry cob" or "all feed" twice a day, again you can get this at your feed store for about 5 to 10 dollars for 50lbs.

Sounds like a lot to start with, but it will more than likely get your horse on the healthy track and make him or her alot more fun to work with.

Alan

Wormy horses typically look fat (potbellied) and scraggly or skinny and scraggly. Deworming your horse cannot hurt anything. Have a vet examine the horses whole mouth. teeth may need to be floated, could have lesions from bot flies, who knows?! He could be a hard keeper or aged so much that he needs to be bumped up on some type of Equine Senior feed.

Rumensin is a cattle feed additive that will KILL horses.

Agree that the first thing he needs is a visit from a vet who knows horses. Since all of our situations vary so much, breed, pastures, level of care, etc. I think suggesting less feed for him is not a great idea. My opinion is that his teeth and gut need to be dealt with first. (needs to be wormed as your vet suggests) Some older horses really need the food poured to them to gain or even maintain condition. We had a really nice older mare--healthy in all respects that really required a lot of feed. Horses are sensitive to diet changes--THAT can't be said enough or too much. If he was being fed a gallon of sweet feed daily "scout's honor" then he is used to it. If you still have your doubts, then he should be worked up to larger amounts. If you have time and are really wanting to see improvement in him, then I would suggest feeding him smaller meals more frequently. We have adjusted horses feeding to what is convenient for us--in nature, they do not gorge or consume most of their meals all at once. If they did--they didn't make it! At least break his feeding into 2 meals--if you have the time 3 or 4 would be better. It won't be convenient, but he will be able to use the nutrients more efficiently. We used Purina Equine Senior and corn oil with that mare and had great results. When she got tired of the ES, we added in a little sweet feed to keep her interested. Work with a vet. Good luck!
(By the way I know of many horses getting a gallon of feed a day that are on pasture and it is not a problem--but it sounds like your horse could benefit from splitting it between 2 feedings)

Remember that horses have one very small sensitive stomach and cannot not tolerate anything but high quality hay. What the average cow eats will kill a horse. Alfalfa is the best way to bring a horse back, not grain. The tooth abcess could be causing this poor fellow problems. Call the vet......Kim

Kim Lander":ow89o08d said:
Remember that horses have one very small sensitive stomach and cannot not tolerate anything but high quality hay. What the average cow eats will kill a horse. Alfalfa is the best way to bring a horse back, not grain. The tooth abcess could be causing this poor fellow problems. Call the vet......Kim
If you get alfalfa--BE SURE TO LOOK FOR BLISTER BEETLES!

(sorry to shout, but it is IMPORTANT!)

Latest posts