new heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

crossbredcalves

Reaction score
Here are some pics of a heifer I bought through the sale barn today. No idea what type of cows she is actually out of, but she sure looks like a Brahman to me. The black heifer is one my uncle bought while we were at the sale.

brahman_heifer_1.jpg

brahman_heifer_2.jpg

Yall train horse's??? i see you got a round pen..... id fool with that heifer as much as possible, not a to make a pet .. but to keep gentle and managable

Yes, we do have horses. We raised and trained Paint and Quarter horses before the market fell. Now, we just raise a couple for our own uses. I have never really worked with any of my calves, but I was thinking that it might be a good idea to work with this one to keep her, as you said, manageable.

ALACOWMAN":1jm7718v said:
Yall train horse's??? i see you got a round pen..... id fool with that heifer as much as possible, not a to make a pet .. but to keep gentle and managable

Yep, she's got a whole lot of brahma in her. If it wasn't for the red white face, I'd almost say darn near full. He's going to have to watch her temperment and have good fences for sure

Nice heifer. I hope your uncle likes Corrientes cuz I think that's what he's got there

3waycross":3pgqt8mt said:
Nice heifer. I hope your uncle likes Corrientes cuz I think that's what he's got there

That heifer was not my pick of the lot, but he liked her. I think she will be ok once she gets straightened out. She definitely needs some groceries and a chance to grow. We will see.

what I can't understand is why tigers are so hot, I would have thought the hereford influence would have a calming effect, but it's quite the contrary.

that hybrid vigour seems to turn the heat up on em,,, simbrahs can be the same way .... for the most part all mine seem to mellow out after their 2nd calf ...

I can understand simbrahs as the simmentals can be a bit high headed as well, but what ex=scapes me is why the tigers are hot without exception?

KNERSIE":1clmtuy2 said:
I can understand simbrahs as the simmentals can be a bit high headed as well, but what ex=scapes me is why the tigers are hot without exception?
It is strange, but they seem to be hotter than an F1 Brangus from my experience.

KNERSIE":3oe7berr said:
i had a few exceptions.... and i had learned how too handle them... im sure alot of it is selection... which i would put alot more emphasis on now,, then i did back then.. when i was full of pi$$ and vinegar ... i look at some of my old pictures and those ol sale cataloges and what the heck was i thinking

Isomade":l6x6kh37 said:
KNERSIE":l6x6kh37 said:
It is strange, but they seem to be hotter than an F1 Brangus from my experience.
the favorite bull's of rodeo contractors was the F1's the purebred brahmans werent as mean and would quit bucking.... when i was calf roping i stayed away from herefords they would quit running after awhile and most to gentle to make good prospects....angus made some of the best roping calves especially the heifers........

I agree looks to be a 3/4 brahma. I have f1 brahma crosses that I raised. Six simbras and 1 british white cross. They give me no trouble. I have char and braunvieh cattle also, and both are tough animals, but the F1's are taking the heat better. It was 115 degrees here Wednesday, and this is Arkansas not Arizona. These f1's are the first to arrive when called. No detroit stroll for them in this heat.

Spend time with your heifer that is the best advise I can give, and talk to her. I will agree most f1's can be spunky.

Latest posts