New hay feeding barn

Help Support CattleToday:

EAT BEEF":3pzdm0j8 said:
Nice barn.I would hate to bale that many square bales just to feed cows.

I am willing to do the baling, but if I built a barn like that the wife and kids would complain about the stacking and feeding...

Stocker Steve":26blaijb said:
EAT BEEF":26blaijb said:
Nice barn.I would hate to bale that many square bales just to feed cows.

I am willing to do the baling, but if I built a barn like that the wife and kids would complain about the stacking and feeding...

I used to bale about 10-15,000 small squares,but I sold it to horse people.I can limit feed in big squares just fine.
I like the barn and figure the cost for the cattle area wasn't to much more than just building the hay storage portion. I liked wintering my cows outside in Ohio,I may have had more hills(less mud).Being in Oklahoma now I do tend to forget how much I hated the march mud back home.

KMacGinley":2nnhsj1w said:
bigbull338":2nnhsj1w said:
thats a heck of a nice feed/hay barn you have there.an i like that theres feedlanes on both sides of the barn.how meny bales will that barn hold.

With kids stacking :) about 4000.

Nice barn. Where do you find the kids that are willing to help or can help and do a fair job.

I cant even find kids to help with 100 small squares let alone 4000.

Very nice barn, thanks for sharing the pics, I like the sky lights. You're getting a lot of advice on doing things different, but if you have had cattle for in amount of years you already know that no matter how well you do things it's still just a work in progress. Zero hay waste is great, hay waste is one of my biggest pet peaves .... I'm so cheap that I turn red when I see a cow pull a whole flake out of the feeder and it drop in the mud then go back for more...stomping the hay all the way.... I see $$$ with wings.

Thanks,
Alan

JHH":20mlkqwt said:
KMacGinley":20mlkqwt said:
bigbull338":20mlkqwt said:
thats a heck of a nice feed/hay barn you have there.an i like that theres feedlanes on both sides of the barn.how meny bales will that barn hold.

With kids stacking :) about 4000.

Nice barn. Where do you find the kids that are willing to help or can help and do a fair job.

I cant even find kids to help with 100 small squares let alone 4000.

FFA kids. We pay them $7 per hour. We went through about 10 and ended up with 4 counting my 16 year old. Also I bought bale baskets to do the baling with. They are very nice.

Thanks Alan.

Mac-

I notice that no one has commented on the great quality that your calves are exhibiting! Are these some of the progeny of the Ohlde bulls you are using? Good barn - Good calves - Good operation! Congratulations!

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Doc: These are the north bunch that were out on the conservancy pasture and I put up pictures of them several weeks ago. We hauled them home and weaned them. A little earlier than I would have preferred since they were mainly April and May calves but the state has hunting rights on that pasture starting October 1st.
They are all progeny of the two bulls I bought from Ohldes in 2007 and also several AI calves from Homer/Mitchell and Moderator. I havent posted a picture of the other Ohlde bull yet but I will try to get a shot of him tomorrow. He is sired by OCC Julian and his grandsires are Emblazon/Anchor/Rainmaker and EXT.

Nice barn. Nice heifers.
That is a great way to feed. My grand father, and just about every other farmer, used basically the same system over a hundred years ago when most of the farms were self sufficient. 2 of my lease pastures have set ups similar to this but have not been used for many years as our weather does not require it. I think they used the in the old day more for a manure collection station. Or it may have just been a carry over from Europe where they fed cattle under the house. The heat generated helped warm the house.

great looking setup, and nice bunch of calves :clap: it does seem to be a large investment to store hay inside - and feed inside, but there are also a lot of advantages i could see in my own management system. one benefit that could be realized is the preservation of pastures. feeding in a barn would eliminate all the loblollys around the hayrings, and reduce compaction of the soil. eliminating/reducing these two problems would make my pastures look a lot better come spring-time.

ROB

That is a very nice barn. Like the others said, a few things everyone would want to customize to fit thier needs, but a very great concept.Would you share the dimensions of the barn? In the North we have to worry about snow load on the roof, and when it's -60 with the wind chill, the wind might whip too much to leave the entire South end open. A few minor climate modifications, and your barn is exactly what we need. :clap:

Good heavens. I'm sorry. I'm new to the forum, and didn't see the other two full pages of posts...including THE DIMENSIONS. :dunce:

Latest posts