New guy needs some advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Billy_Bob

Reaction score
I am a college student and have been trying to think of some ways to earn a little extra money this summer. I am thinking of buying a handful of feeder steers and letting them graze in a pasture my family used for cows up until last year. I was plannig on getting them in early to mid May and selling them in August. I guess I want to know how profitable this is? How much would it cost to feed them or would they get by fine on just grazing (there would be plenty for a handful of steers). How much weight would they gain in those few months on each method? Would it be more profitable to just let them pasture or to supplement the grazing with something? Water and fencing would not be a problem a creek runs through the property and I am experienced fixing fences so that would be no problem. I live in southern Minnesota. Not sure what breed would be best, needs to be something I could get locally though. Also not really familiar with what a good price is for a feeder calf, I have looked at a few local sales barns to try to get an idea but there is a huge differnce in prices there. Sorry for the rant had to get it out its been in my head for a few days now. Any advice would be great.

I have done what you are talking about for several years. The last two years have been paticularly profitable. I would think as high as calves are right now it would be a very risky venture. I try to buy a pretty framey looking steer. I dont usually pay much attention to breed, just growth potential. Although they are on all the grass they can Eat I usually feed them a little twice a day. I feed what I call a triple third mix. They grow better, and come in working facility twice a day if they need attention. Please dont turn them straight out after purchase. An unweaned calf can walk himself to death in a large field. Also. If they get out, they want know where to come back to. I am satisfied with 50 pounds of gain per month, but i try for 70.

You didn't say where you are located. Cattle prices are very high right now. Last week a 500 lb calf was bringing $1.90 per 100 weight ($950.00)

edited to correct typo

I would think as high as calf prices are right now you would lose your ass.
I would think old SS heavy bred would be a better more profitable route.
Let the cow calf and raise the calf this fall split the pairs sell the calf's for feeder's and the cow's to slaughter for Wolf Brand Chili and Mickey D's.

Caustic Burno":ssbimbk9 said:
I would think as high as calf prices are right now you would lose your ass.
I would think old SS heavy bred would be a better more profitable route.
Let the cow calf and raise the calf this fall split the pairs sell the calf's for feeder's and the cow's to slaughter for Wolf Brand Chili and Mickey D's.

Done this very thing for several years, and I have been very profitable. I have bought several cows that paid for themselves when I sold them for slaughter. The calf was my profit.

Chances are heavy breds would also be more calm than feeders. I also do the same thing as bigfoot with the feed. You can usually find some cheaper feed to use. They call it bulk feed where I buy it.

Its a little risky- but the profit potential is bigger than calves.
Buy some "low yield " cows (larger the frame the better)
Keep them on your grass(keep the grass in front of them long- might not have teeth to bite off what they need). and feed them some(weight gain and keep them calmer) and resell them as "high yield cows".

The risk is in buying one that will not put weight on- no matter what you do, of course one dying, and the other is buying a nut case you have to deal with.

With the pink slime issue there will be an increased shortage of hamburger animals(more real ground beef will be needed to fill the void of pink slime).

I hope you have a catch pen(feed them in it) and some way to work up/load whatever you are thinking of buying.

Latest posts