new foal

Help Support CattleToday:

Richard

Reaction score
have a 3 week old foal that has a lot of ticks on him every thing I try barracade, kero in water, if I pull them out I think he looses more blood than the tick would suck ?

I'd pull them off. Unless they are different from the ticks up here, he shouldn't bleed hardly at all after they are removed. You will want to make sure to get the head out though, or he could end up with a nasty infection. Then, I'd talk to the vet and see if there is a spray or something that you could use on a young foal to keep them off.

I'd pull them, too, in an animal that young it won't take long for anemia to become a problem. I know the foal can bleed, but it's usually a short-lived thing and preferable to the alternative. Check around and see if you can find a Pirannha distributor - I believe it repels ticks as well as flies and mosquitos. It's expensive - around $48.00/gallon - but it will drop flies in a matter of seconds and it does a fantastic job of repelling flies and mosquitos. Ticks are not a problem here, so I can't honestly say how well it repels them.

Check with a good equine Vet, don't depend on this or any other board for a 100% correct answer... check with a Vet.

With that being said, I believe you can use any pyrethrin based flea and tick spray for dogs, not a permethrin based, it has to be pyrethrin based. Permethrin can be toxic, keep the pyrethrin based spray away from nose and eyes, if needing applied in that area spray it on your hand and wipe it on, don't spray it. I'm assuming the mare has ticks also... same thing, keep off the udder.

Good luck,

Alan

When you check with the vet, you may want to ask about antibiotics.

Alan

Have you just tried spraying with something like Horse and Stable? I use it on the dogs when the fleas and ticks are bad. Repels nicely and smells good. It might make them turn loose. I don't have any now, or I would read the label.

We live in really big tick land here in the northwest.To rid them. I use shortening. I rub it thick on the tick. That suffocates them.They die in a couple of days and fall off because they backed out on there own. Hope that helps.Cindy

We have alot of ticks here in the spring. On the horses that I'm riding I alternate between a flea and tick dust [powder] and Permectrin spray. I really focus along the mane and where my saddle and cinches might rub.

By the time I wrangle my mares/colts in the spring the mares are usually covered with ticks. Unless the mare is really getting thin or I'm going to haul her to an outside stud I pretty much leave them alone.

I really don't think an antibiotic, is necessary.

Latest posts