New FFA Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

London R

Reaction score
I recently got my FFA (steer) calf and wanted to share and get some opinions on him. I got him through my school and wasn't first pick so he isn't perfect. He is a little aggressive when I try to halter him but other than that he trots up to me when I get to the barn and rubs on my leg. I have to hit him or leave the pen to get him to stop rubbing on me but at least he seems comfortable with me. I'd appreciate thoughts on his structure if anyone has an opinion on it. Thanks!

Attachments

• 98248C37-512A-4323-A7C4-E6BA3A9AFDD8.jpeg
    98248C37-512A-4323-A7C4-E6BA3A9AFDD8.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 50
I recently got my FFA (steer) calf and wanted to share and get some opinions on him. I got him through my school and wasn't first pick so he isn't perfect. He is a little aggressive when I try to halter him but other than that he trots up to me when I get to the barn and rubs on my leg. I have to hit him or leave the pen to get him to stop rubbing on me but at least he seems comfortable with me. I'd appreciate thoughts on his structure if anyone has an opinion on it. Thanks!
Nice clean looking calf. (and I'm not talking about dirt) Smooth in the front, neck, shoulder, and brisket. Not paunchy. Straight back. Good tailset. And he has some muscle in his rump. It would be nice if that muscle was deeper into his hock but I have no idea what they look for in show steers.

Looks like a solid functional steer to learn the ropes with. Fed right he will do fine. Is your show a "hair" show or slick shear?