New computer choices?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Thinking of replacing our old compter. Any opinions of the brands we have been looking at....

Emachine

HP

Dell

The Emachines and HP give you more software like MS Works and such, but what is dependable and upgradable?

Both are good choices. I use Dell at home and we use HP in our systems at work. We have shipped several thousand HP's with very few problems. Most problems we see are with 3rd party PCI cards.

I bought Dell for home because it was the best deal at the time.

All are good choices. I had an E-Machine for years, never had a problem with it. It finally just wore out and I replaced it with a Dell because the Dell was the better deal. With all the specials and things Dell has, it's hard to beat them price-wise. I also like Gateway, but they were just too expensive for my budget.

My Dell system came preloaded with MS Works along with quite a few other things.

Iwent with a Dell refurb when I decided to upgrade eralier this year. Great system, no problems. But the cutomer service folks are Pakistani or Indians or something. Can;t understand a word they say.

dun

Hey Tom,

All of the three you listed are good from my experiences, but make sure to compare apples to apples (processors,hard drives,ram,etc).

The wife is a programmer and very "frugal" (that's in case she's watching), and very fussy about computers. We have a Dell. Our previous computer was a "knockoff" that I bought to save money. She wasn't impressed.

tom4018":rz15tzad said:
Thinking of replacing our old compter. Any opinions of the brands we have been looking at....

Emachine

HP

Dell

The Emachines and HP give you more software like MS Works and such, but what is dependable and upgradable?

Are you opposed to assembling your own? IMO, purchasing the components and assembling it yourself is the best way to get the most machine for the $$$. Then you can actually purchase a real copy of Windows XP instead of just getting a recovery disk. And, who needs bundled software! It's never what you want to run anyway.

When discussing apples to apples comparisons of already assembled machines, you'll need to know the brand & model of each internal component (HD, CPU, Motherboard, Video Card, Memory, Sound Card, etc.). They won't provide that level of detail usually. It's easy to create a machine that appears to have the same spec.'s as another, but be made with cheaper components. Also, most of the major components in a computer come with a 1 year warranty (some have 3 year), yet Dell, Emachines, & HP often times only have a 90 day warranty unless you purchase an extended package.

I vote with rwtherefords, build you own. or just get components and upgrade what you have. The trick is knowing what you have and what is compatible with it. Just bought a new motherboard, processor and video card to upgrade my system. But I have the help of my son who knows what components will work together. Essentially I am getting a new computer for under $250. Very fancy video card is where most of the cost is.

If you know a young person who is computer savvy in your area you can get all the help you need.

Any thoughts on Gateways?

Also is Intel or AMD processors better?

Been browsing today, but sure hate to spend that much $$$$$$$$$.

I only use AMD, believe Macon once said that is what he uses. Just about anyone who has studied comparisons say you get more for your money with AMD.

cherokeeruby'":8axa9wk1 said:
I only use AMD, believe Macon once said that is what he uses. Just about anyone who has studied comparisons say you get more for your money with AMD.

I've alwasy used MAD in the past when I built or upgraded my systems. When I bought this one cause I'm tired of doing a lot of piddly stuff with these acursed machines, I went with an Intel. Some of the applications that I've run for years won;t run or won;t run well on the AMD but they run to perfection on the Intel. But a lot of those applications are old version 1 and some are DOS.

dun

my first computer was an Atari. then i had a Tandy. lol. then we got one called an Aptiva. then we got gateways. i cant complain about the gateways. but i only know enough about computers to be dangerous to my own computer.

What, no Commodore 64?

Beefy":16p999qz said:
my first computer was an Atari. then i had a Tandy. lol. then we got one called an Aptiva. then we got gateways. i cant complain about the gateways. but i only know enough about computers to be dangerous to my own computer.

AMD's run HOT! Heat leads to premature failure if not managed with adequate fans. Also, tight locations with poor ventilation (i.e. roll top computer desks, etc.) cause overheating more frequently with AMD's. Radiated heat from the PC is an issue for some people with AMD's. Stay with an Intel P4.

tom4018":1z21hc5m said:
Any thoughts on Gateways?

Also is Intel or AMD processors better?

Been browsing today, but sure hate to spend that much $$$$$$$$$.

I don't know if it's still true, but not too long ago Gateways were the top of the line. They are good systems, but a little too pricey for me to be able to afford. I don't know anything about AMD, always had Intel's. No problems with them.

i dont even know what a commodore 64 is. shows how much or little i know about puters. i had one of the super big gateway monitors catch on fire one time. have heard good and bad things abotu dell. when i get moved into my house if i ever get it liveable i'm going to get a (gateway probably) laptop and wireless internet, i think.

My recommendation is to stay away from AMD. They are basically a clone of the Intel which means they are not as good. They boast the same or higher clock rates but do not have the on board cache memory of the Intel hence slower running applications. Now, if you were to buy the new 64 bit AMD, they are screamers. All reports are they outperform the Itanium 64 bit from Intel but stand by Intel won't put up with that for long.

Stay away from PC's with Celeron chips also. Some advertise Intel inside when it has a Intel Celeron. Again this has much lower on board cache and slower application performance. Get one the says it has a Pentium 4 at least.

Just my opinion and I use, spec, quote, deliver, design, compare, and deliver real time systems with them.

buy a dell at the right time and it will be the best thing you have done. i got a 17" flat screen and a scanner upgrade for free.

We just bought a new Dell computer for Christmas. We had a Mind for awhile way back. Our last computer was a custom built job and it was always flaky ever since we got it. The Dell was recommended to me by the IT guy at work and it was quite reasonably priced to boot. Good Luck.

Latest posts