My new Tub..

Help Support CattleToday:

You have been on a kick about tubs. They both have their place.
I agree... they both have merit... and a place. Depends mostly on how the operator prefers to work the cattle. Personal preference. I personally prefer a box vs. a tub, for the reasons that I've clearly stated. I've got nothing against those who prefer a tub. It's a free country.
I would never encourage some one to build facilities with out a way to pressure the cattle through. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Agree as well... that's why I always suggest mounting a "crowd gate" hinged on the lane entrance in a box. You might not need it most of the time, but it can for sure be a lifesaver (potentially literally) when you do.

I agree... they both have merit... and a place. Depends mostly on how the operator prefers to work the cattle. Personal preference. I personally prefer a box vs. a tub, for the reasons that I've clearly stated. I've got nothing against those who prefer a tub. It's a free country.

Agree as well... that's why I always suggest mounting a "crowd gate" hinged on the lane entrance in a box. You might not need it most of the time, but it can for sure be a lifesaver (potentially literally) when you do.
How I want to work cattle and how they want to be worked aren't always the same. 😄

I think the idea is brilliant to use short gates and have the gate guy up out of the flight zone. You couldn't use those gates on the ground. Those cattle aren't suspicious of the exit at all.

Looks to be more efficient than it would be running them all into a lane to single-file 'em first and then sort. I think part of why it's working so well for them in the video is because they have open fencing behind, and the calves can hang along the fence with Mom on the other side. Saw this video today that was interesting as well, for sorting off calves at least... wouldn't be much help for sorting through similar sized critters though.

Looks to be more efficient than it would be running them all into a lane to single-file 'em first and then sort. I think part of why it's working so well for them in the video is because they have open fencing behind, and the calves can hang along the fence with Mom on the other side. Saw this video today that was interesting as well, for sorting off calves at least... wouldn't be much help for sorting through similar sized critters though.

Myself and a couple of neighbours studied this video a few years ago, and we tried it at the one place. Seemed like there were just enough cows that would duck under the calf gate to spoil the fun. In this case I think it was because those cows didn't want to walk, they were headed back in the direction they came from and they decided they were in a hurry.

Myself and a couple of neighbours studied this video a few years ago, and we tried it at the one place. Seemed like there were just enough cows that would duck under the calf gate to spoil the fun. In this case I think it was because those cows didn't want to walk, they were headed back in the direction they came from and they decided they were in a hurry.
Yeah, I think if you're serious about a "sorting system", you're gonna be wanting one that will sort "anything" with some form of ease, rather than just cows from calves. Heck, if that's all you want to sort off, just make a pen for the calves to get into a creep feeder through, and put a one way gate on it. Give 'em a couple days, and it's all done...

Yeah, I think if you're serious about a "sorting system", you're gonna be wanting one that will sort "anything" with some form of ease, rather than just cows from calves. Heck, if that's all you want to sort off, just make a pen for the calves to get into a creep feeder through, and put a one way gate on it. Give 'em a couple days, and it's all done...
It seemed like it would be a great way to get the calves off the cows at weaning time. Us and our neighbours like to pull the calves off the cows on the first cut, then run the calves through again to sort for steers, heifers, and replacements. Seemed like if we could pull the calves off the cow real low stress like that it would pay dividends on the next sort.

Latest posts