New "cattleman" in family

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa

Reaction score
My 13 yr old son had his Christmas money from various family members.

When I asked him what he was planning on spending it on, he looked at me like I was from outer space and said " I am buying a calf and selling it this summer." He worked the past few days building his own calf hutch, and today he paid neighor for his "first head" as he calls it.

He has it all planned out how to reinvest his profits, so over the next three years he will have enough to buy a truck at 16.

Needless to say there are a "few" holes in his plans, but as a proud Dad, I will do what I can to make sure he does not get burned to bad if things go sideways on him.

Just wanted to brag on my kid a bit here.

You got every right to brag. And if things go bad, I'm sure there is somebody watching with a loving eye that will fill in some of the potholes for him. Congratulations, it says a lot about you as a person. They say "imitation is the purest form of flattery." Again, good job raising him.

i did that very same thing a few years ago bought a beef heifer of a dairy farmer bought her 100 dollars still have her today raised healthy calves and is the principal funder for my truck fund lol along with my jersey

travlnusa":9a3nez67 said:
My 13 yr old son had his Christmas money from various family members.

When I asked him what he was planning on spending it on, he looked at me like I was from outer space and said " I am buying a calf and selling it this summer." He worked the past few days building his own calf hutch, and today he paid neighor for his "first head" as he calls it.

He has it all planned out how to reinvest his profits, so over the next three years he will have enough to buy a truck at 16.

Needless to say there are a "few" holes in his plans, but as a proud Dad, I will do what I can to make sure he does not get burned to bad if things go sideways on him.

Just wanted to brag on my kid a bit here.

YUP, Thats the way we get sterted. Good Luck! :)

Congrats.

Dad bought me my first one for $25. I bottle feed that dairy cross (Inky) and she went into the herd. Got another one (Spot) and did the same. My last one was a calf that we pulled and the mother didn't make it. She was a Herefored named Saturday. Dad never let me do anything with the money except way later, it just went in the bank. I did trade up for one cow with my grandad. He always seemed to like me.

Ain't it a grand thing! I know how you feel. Just took our 13 year old to get his 4th loan for 4-H. He has a homeraised and a purchased pen of 3 at the fair each year. He does the figuring and decision making himself with input from us. We give him the options and the pros and cons of each option but it's his call in the end. Makes you proud to see them understanding and making sound decisions. It's a learning experience they'll never forget. You ought to see how tight ours is with his money. He realizes how hard he worked to get it and doesn't spend it foolishly. I say - Brag on!

Lets hope that he gets many more nickels out of the venture than what he puts in.

Hard work pays off. There is nothing like watching a kid enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Please keep us posted on this venture of his.

Good for him, he should be proud.

I remember my first cow. My grandfather gave me one. It was a bit of a different deal though. I had to sell all the calves. The money was given to me from the calf but I had to budget it to last me through the year. I had to buy all my family's birthday and Christmas presents myself and pay for most of my non-essentials. It taught me a lot about budgeting and about saving. It was good for me. Kids that don't have cows to teach them lessons are poorer for it.

You and your son should be really proud....around here the kids want nothing to do with the four letter work word....think the world owes em a living.... :cboy:

Latest posts