New calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Strokerjeff

Reaction score
Had calf born out of young Shorthorn heifer. She was just turned out with Angus bull last week at 15 month birthday. Calf was born March 1st is fully developed with no help feeding from Mom(in calf huts now) bought her in October and is registered so pretty sure about the birthday. I have no clue about the site was wondering if it's normal for heifers to even cycle at the age she did to get pregnant with this calf and if I should start looking through the other 24 we bought with her

We Lutylase all heifers at weaning regardless. We have had bulls jump fences and jump back, or breed heifers thru the fence. Our Gelbvieh cross heifers can cycle very early. Get them checked for sure.

Coosh71 said:
We Lutylase all heifers at weaning regardless. We have had bulls jump fences and jump back, or breed heifers thru the fence. Our Gelbvieh cross heifers can cycle very early. Get them checked for sure.

I ain't doubting you Coosh, but I'd pay good money to see that one time :nod:

JMJ Farms said:
Coosh71 said:

Dang slutty heifer...

greybeard said:
JMJ Farms said:
Coosh71 said:

Dang slutty heifer...
Depending on the type of fence, could end badly in any number of ways for the bull :hide:

JMJ Farms said:
Coosh71 said:
I'll tell you what the first time I drove up and saw it my chin hit the ground. That bull literally had his arm hung over the top wire the fence like somebody driving with their arm hanging out the car window and he was getting after it through the wire. now that's what you call letting it all hang out under extreme duress etc etc LOL. I bought my wife a longhorn bull a few years back and before we made him a steer he gave us a few surprise calves and every single one of them were through the fence. I don't know about you but if barbed wire was involved I think I would not be up to the task.

Coosh71 said:
JMJ Farms said:
Coosh71 said:
I'll tell you what the first time I drove up and saw it my chin hit the ground. That bull literally had his arm hung over the top wire the fence like somebody driving with their arm hanging out the car window and he was getting after it through the wire. now that's what you call letting it all hang out under extreme duress etc etc LOL. I bought my wife a longhorn bull a few years back and before we made him a steer he gave us a few surprise calves and every single one of them were through the fence. I don't know about you but if barbed wire was involved I think I would not be up to the task.

Yes sir. I'd say that was under duress. But IMO, that bulls a keeper. And so is the cow. Anything that "cooperative" should breed at least every 10 months :lol2: I've been involved with barbwire in situations in the past, but it always involved going over or under, not through :hide:

All but one breed a d basically to far along to do much about hope and pray all goes well putting in more maternity pens as we speak

Strokerjeff said:
All but one breed a d basically to far along to do much about hope and pray all goes well putting in more maternity pens as we speak

Well if you can get em theough the first calf and keep em fed good you ought to have some good fertile mommas.

JMJ Farms said:
Coosh71 said:
JMJ Farms said:

Yes sir. I'd say that was under duress. But IMO, that bulls a keeper. And so is the cow. Anything that "cooperative" should breed at least every 10 months :lol2: I've been involved with barbwire in situations in the past, but it always involved going over or under, not through :hide:

Lol yessir, for sure. If I'm not mistaken we still have those heifers in question.

slick4591 said:
jehosofat said:
Shoot, we got natives around here the same way. 12, 13, 14 year old mama's.

They blame that on the hormone loaded factory milk.

Naw it's nothing new. I beleive Loretta Lynn had her first at 13 and four or five before she was twenty. My fourth great grandmother started at age 14 back in 1810.

Midtenn said:
slick4591 said:
jehosofat said:
Shoot, we got natives around here the same way. 12, 13, 14 year old mama's.

They blame that on the hormone loaded factory milk.

Naw it's nothing new. I beleive Loretta Lynn had her first at 13 and four or five before she was twenty. My fourth great grandmother started at age 14 back in 1810.

" Early adulthood
Loretta Lynn (Webb) was 15 when she married 21-year-old Oliver Vanetta Lynn, Jr. (better known as "Doolittle", "Doo", or "Mooney") on January 10, 1948. They had met only a month earlier.[1] The Lynns left Kentucky and moved to the logging community of Custer, Washington, when Loretta was seven months pregnant with the first of their six children.[2]

Children:
The Lynns had six children together:

Betty Sue Lynn (November 26, 1948 – July 29, 2013)[16][17]
Jack Benny Lynn, (December 7, 1949 – July 22, 1984)[17][18]
Clara Marie "Cissie" Lynn (born April 7, 1952)
Ernest Ray "Ernie" Lynn (born May 27, 1954)
Peggy Jean and Patsy Eileen Lynn (born August 6, 1964; twin daughters named for Lynn's sister Peggy Sue Wright and her close friend Patsy Cline)"

I seen an 8 month old heifer butt up against the common fence. Bull is meowing like a kitten and attempts to straddles the fence. Dang this isn't any good. Neither one would leave the fence. Ended up turning him in and luting her later. They were NOT supposed to be common fenced. Like kids. They will find a way.

Have had the odd heifer wind up pregnant while still nursing the cow, but they were about 17 months when they calved. That is one very good thing about a defined calving season. The bull is only in for 60-90 days when the calves are less than 4 months old, so next to no chance of a heifer getting bred.

Good luck with the rest of the bred heifers. Let us know how you make out with them. If they do okay, be grateful for an easy calving bull that sired those calves. Feed the real good once the calves are on the ground. They might be a little stunted in growth. I held mine back an extra 6 months before rebreeding, so they could grow a little bit more, but they have calved every year since then.

Latest posts