New Calf Pic

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Been wanting to get into the cattle business just got my first calf, its a Holstein bull calf
Picture_026.jpg

Baby holstein bull calves...whoa, you jumped right into trial by fire. :shock:

They can be challenging, to say the least. How old is he? Where did you get him?

BTW, I like your little calf... :)

Alice

Hey Mississippicalf!
Look at that baby :nod:

Am looking forward to hearing more about him ~ age,weight, origin, all that jazz.....As well as an update on hows he is settling in.

Shorty is right, he would much appreciate a buddy, and will perform better for you. They are herd animals and don't do as well on their own.

Nice looking calf

Very cute baby! More color than my boy.

Baby holstein bull calves...whoa, you jumped right into trial by fire.

They can be challenging, to say the least

Are Holstein bull calves worse than others?

Get him a buddy and you'll do just fine.

That is what I told DH this morning, Bambi lays around all day, he needs a buddy, to me he is still weak legged. My donkey is scared of him, hence I am afraid that he will hurt him. My goat is mean to him, and I know she will hurt him. So they are seperated, only a fence inbetween so he can see them.

bambi_boy":23cu9gio said:
Are Holstein bull calves worse than others?
I would not use the word "worse" (outside of a pm ( ;-) ). Dairy breeds tend to be more fragile than the beef. It has been MY experience, that they get sick easier, and quit fighting sooner than beef babies. Regardless, that is what Mississippicalf has bought ~ so I hope for the best for them. :nod:

No, holstein babies aren't worse. They can be more challenging, one of the reason's being that holstein bull babies are not always as hardy simply because holstein cows are no longer as hardy as they once were. They are used for one thing...milking...and have been bred to optimize that.

Another reason, depending on where the calf came from...holstein bull babies aren't taken care of as well as the holstein heifer babies. They aren't as marketable, altho more feed lots are beginning to recognize that holstein beef has it's place and there are several buyers for feed lots where I come from that only buy from holstein raisers.

Also, since holstein bull babies aren't as marketable, they are many times taken directly from their mothers and run thru the auction...without having had the benefit of colostrum or even a few hours on earth. :mad: I've watched trailer loads of these baby calves come unload at the auctions here that are still wobbly legged with wet navel cords. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: When you buy a holstein bull baby at an auction, you'll have to always know that there is a good chance it got no colostrum, it was handled roughly being put on the trailer, it's handled roughly getting off of the trailer, it's run thru a ring being poked at and proded and whacked on...all adding up to S T R E S S. And stress ads up to scours, really, really fast.

I love holstein bull babies. They're fun to watch and seem to have their own little characters. It's the first few weeks of their life that kept me S T R E S S E D.

Alice

Pic was taken day after I got him, bought him at the Sale Barn in Tylertown,MS. He was 68lbs when I picked him up. Tuesday will be two weeks Ive had him. So far so good he's eating great, very active and things are going well so far. Talked to alot of people in this area and everybody I know that fool with Holsteins around here have done well with them. Ive heard that beef calves done better but cost is way higher too. So Ive decided to give Holsteins a try if I do well with them Im gonna stick with them if not Ill probably change to beef cows.

mississippicalf":joo0q1uc said:
Pic was taken day after I got him, bought him at the Sale Barn in Tylertown,MS. He was 68lbs when I picked him up. Tuesday will be two weeks Ive had him. So far so good he's eating great, very active and things are going well so far. Talked to alot of people in this area and everybody I know that fool with Holsteins around here have done well with them. Ive heard that beef calves done better but cost is way higher too. So Ive decided to give Holsteins a try if I do well with them Im gonna stick with them if not Ill probably change to beef cows.

Since he's going strong and in just a few days you'll have had him 2 weeks, then I'd say you got a good one. :)

Alice

My baby Holsteing bull was taken from mom at 5 1/2 days, I picked him up at the farm. Hindsight, I should have measured him when he first got here to track his growth.

Alice":27tjxo9t said:
Since he's going strong and in just a few days you'll have had him 2 weeks, then I'd say you got a good one. :)
Alice
This is so. If you've taken him this far and he's doin' ~ then he should keep right on doin'! :nod:
Good answer on that question Alice ~ wish I'd of thought of that. All very good points.

I wanted to get into cattle and started the same way. I got a holstein bull calf from the local dariy farmer. He was about 80lbs when born and is now 3mos. and between 350 and 400. I wened him at about 2 1/2 mons. The only problem with him is that he is sooooooo friendly. Even though they are cute and cuddly don't be afraid to put them in there place once and a while. I go in to feed him and he practicly mows me over! I did get him a friend. I little semmi/holstein hefier from the same place. If you do get him a friend, especialy if its a hefier, You want to casturate him. And don't forget dehorning. I am actualy bringing the holstein steer to acuction this weekend so i can get the heifers half sister. I plan to keep them and breed them in a year. Good luck, and remember the most important part is to have fun and be safe.

mississippicalf":1jz5ubxw said:
Been wanting to get into the cattle business just got my first calf, its a Holstein bull calf
Picture_026.jpg
Just saw that pic on ranchers net,some lady was trying to sell me a couple holstein bull calves the other day for $80 per,but not a market for them around here.Goog luck,welcome to ranching!! :tiphat:

mississippicalf":1okdav9m said:
If you're gonna' stay with dairy cattle,mabye get some heifers to sell as replacements for dairys or find a good market for your steers,they cost the same to feed as beef calves without the same return,not to discourage you in any way.But as soon as you get the experience with cattle you need trade up to beef calves with your profit.Unless you're into selling dairy products and milking.

Band him, Band him, Band him there are no reason not to band him...THERE IS A GOOD REASON TO BAND HIM---AT A YEAR HE WILL KILL YOU--

FFACOWGIRL":6y7gzopj said:
If you do get him a friend, especialy if its a hefier, You want to casturate him. And don't forget dehorning.

Regardless of the freind you get him, if you have not castrated him yet, get someone to do it now. Dairy bulls are mean because they do not have any fear of humans. Humans are part of their herd so they will treat you accordingly. I read a report that 90% of the fatalities due to bull attacks were attributed to dairy bulls; most likely due to bottle feeding. Dont take the chance, plus a steer is worth a whole lot more if you are planning on selling it. No cattle make good pets long term but that cannot be emphasized enough for bulls. Castrating him will only get harder by the day.

We gonna steer him and sell him around six months old or so. I know alot of people keep talking bout beef cows and how much more you can sell them for and this is true, you can get more for them. But on the other hand I can go to the sell and buy these holstein calves for $25 and beef calves are going in the $150-$200 range. If all goes well we will be in the Holstein buisness for a while mainly because in another couple of months I plan on buying several more head and I can afford to buy the Holstein but really cant afford to buy the beef cows.

Latest posts