New calf, No bag!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Don McCallum

Reaction score
I was bush hogging this afternoon, when I saw a reg. ba heifer with a calf. The heifer has had no swelling of her back end and has very
little bag if any. I checked my book, and she is two weeks early. I watch the calf trying to suck, but the heifer kept moving away from
me. The calf is not very fat but appeared strong. I plan on going back tomorrow morning and getting a better view. How will I know if
I need to take the calf home and put it on a bottle? I hope the calf got some colestrone from it's mother.

I would go ahead and give some colostrum to it, and bring them up to the house, and see if the heifer starts milking. If she don't ever make milk...better find a nurse cow.

To me that is not a wait and see situation. The longer the calf goes without colostrum and milk, the better the chances are that it may die.
Especially since the heifer doesn't know what to do with it.
When a cow has a calf prematurely, it may take a couple days for her to come into milk. A friend had the same thing happen on Monday. The calf was 12 days early too. He has been coming by to pick up milk to feed the calf while waiting for the cow's milk to come in.

Bring em both up to the house, and put the feed to the heifer, and supplement the calf if it gets to looking thin. In time, that heifer will probably start producing more milk.

If she truly has a tiny bag, she might never be able support the calf. Had this happen twice. Bottle-fed baby in addition to what little he got from mom--just took bottle out in pasture and baby would come right to it, after getting him going on it when he was trying to nurse but mama was empty. Both times udder capacity couldn't have been more than a quart, if that.
Shipped both when baby was about five months old. Another reason not to buy at a sale barn......somebody else's problem.

Just thought I would chime in on this one. We had a first calf heifer calve in February. She had no visual bag, and her nipples were no bigger around than a pencil and an inch long. I was sure the calf was not getting enough,and had the vet out. I tried to bottle feed the calf, but she would have nothing to do with a bottle. And I tried several times over several days. Vet finally said she was thriving, to just watch her. We just weaned her Sunday, at just under 7 months, and though she is not the biggest calf in the group, she is not malnourished nor thin. I have been told in the past that Simmentals do not have a problem with milk production, this cow I was sure was going to prove that statement wrong. She did not! I will try to find the picture I took of her udder, and show you guys! Unbelievable!
OK, I took this tonight. We weaned Sunday evening, so this udder is at it's max right now. I got the best picture I could, she had just got out of the pond so her hair is wet. This udder has been sucked on for almost 7 months, does it look like it?!?!

udder_natalie.jpg

I was out of town for the weekend,so my son looked after my livestock. I checked on the calf on Thursday before I left at which time he looked strong. Late Sunday afternoon he still looked good, but I decided I wanted to do more for the calf. I took him to another place on Monday where my jersey nurse cow was and did my best to get him to suck. No luck! I took him back to his mother, and she was waiting and calling him. When he heard her, he stood up in the back of the pu and answered her. I didn't waste any time getting him out. She still has a very small bag with little milk. I am going to move both of them closer to my home, so I can look after them better. What do you all think about her future as a mother cow? I bought her private treaty as a 7 mo. old. I hate that it took so long to get back with you.

Don McCallum":3d6qemnw said:
I was out of town for the weekend,so my son looked after my livestock. I checked on the calf on Thursday before I left at which time he looked strong. Late Sunday afternoon he still looked good, but I decided I wanted to do more for the calf. I took him to another place on Monday where my jersey nurse cow was and did my best to get him to suck. No luck! I took him back to his mother, and she was waiting and calling him. When he heard her, he stood up in the back of the pu and answered her. I didn't waste any time getting him out. She still has a very small bag with little milk. I am going to move both of them closer to my home, so I can look after them better. What do you all think about her future as a mother cow? I bought her private treaty as a 7 mo. old. I hate that it took so long to get back with you.

My thoughts are this : She had a good quality calf, no problems except for her smallish bag, but she will more than likely produce enough milk soon enough. Too many good things NOT to keep her as a future cow.

Speaking from experience, after the first time we had a problem get a heifer to cooperate and accept her calf, we now always have a few bags of colostrum on hand because our feed store isn't open 24-7 and it's always going to be the wrong time of day when you need it most. If in desperate need too, we've put the momma on halter, milked into a bottle, fed the calf, .... and so eventually she starts to understand. Good luck!

Latest posts