new calf feed ?

Help Support CattleToday:

kypops

Reaction score
My new calf is sucking every time i go out to the barn. i have never seen its mother with a full bag since it was born. they were really big until it was born. Or should she only eat 3 or 4 times a day. should i keep them in a pen together and for how long? when should i feed it soming other than it mother milk like grain and what kind or hay? what if it mom dont have enought milk for her? i feed the big ones crack corn and sweet feed .and free hay.i have one other heiford and the bull will they hurt the new calf? should i keep them apart?
until next time with more questions
char----------kypops wife

The answer really depends on the age of the calf. If you suspect it is not eating enough then feed it hay/grain if it is old enough and will eat it. If it is too young to wean, pull it off the cow and bottle feed it. (and get rid of the cow).

kypops":1hxlu4gj said:
My new calf is sucking every time i go out to the barn. i have never seen its mother with a full bag since it was born. they were really big until it was born. Or should she only eat 3 or 4 times a day. should i keep them in a pen together and for how long? when should i feed it soming other than it mother milk like grain and what kind or hay? what if it mom dont have enought milk for her? i feed the big ones crack corn and sweet feed .and free hay.i have one other heiford and the bull will they hurt the new calf? should i keep them apart?
until next time with more questions

Your calf should be fine...nothing like 20-30 snacks a day from mama. Much better than two huge meals everyday out of a bottle. Let the calf and the mama run with the other cows. If hay and grass is there the calf will begin nibbling when he/she is ready for it.

kypops":2rjtma84 said:
My new calf is sucking every time i go out to the barn.

How often do you go out to the barn? Not trying to be a smart ass, but it is a relevant question. I wouldn't be nearly as concerned with how often the calf is nursing as I would be with how the calf acts and looks. Is she sunk in in front of her hip bones? Does she spend a lot of time laying around and sleeping, or is she running around, playing, and checking things out in her environment? Do her eyes look clear, bright, and alert? If she is sleeping a lot, she is probably not getting enough to eat. If she is running around and playing, she is fine. Is her rear end clean, or does it have manure smeared on it? If so, what color is her manure?

i have never seen its mother with a full bag since it was born. they were really big until it was born.

Once a calf reaches a few days to a week old (depending on the size of the calf, and how heavy the dam milks) you should not see a full udder. The calf should be taking care of it.

Or should she only eat 3 or 4 times a day.

She will nurse when she gets hungry. Again, I'm not trying to be a smart ass - just stating facts. There is no prescribed time or amounts of when a calf will nurse, other than being hungry.

should i keep them in a pen together and for how long?

Yes, keep the mother and calf together until you're ready to wean the calf - usually at 6-7 months of age.

when should i feed it soming other than it mother milk like grain and what kind or hay?

The calf will mimic her mother and eat whatever you are feeding her mother. Assuming the dam is providing enough milk, there is no need to provide special or extra feed for the calf.

what if it mom dont have enought milk for her?

Again, watch how the calf behaves. If she is laying around a lot, looks like she is lacking energy, or does not run around and play AT ALL, she is probably not getting enough milk. The only exception to that that I can think of would be if she had a case of scours and was sick.

i have one other heiford and the bull will they hurt the new calf? should i keep them apart?

Probably not, but you need to be aware that (I'm assuming this is a heifer calf since you've addressed her as "she") when she starts cycling, the bull will breed her - regardless of her age. A heifer can start cycling anywhere from 3-4 months of age right on up to 7-9 months of age. It depends on how big and growthy she is. I hope this helps! :)

Latest posts