new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
Picked him up Saturday, he's 20months old. His grand-sire is SAV final answer 0035, sire is Coleman Regis 904

EPD's:
BW -.9
WW 50
YW 80
Milk 31

I like the looks of Final Answer. I'd like this bull to have more muscle expression at 20 months. He's not fat, and that can certainly take away from his look. I'd like to see him again with another 2 points of body condition. He seems to be pretty straight-made and sound.

No, the guy I bought him from used him on 10 heifers. He said they all checked bred at 90 days.

I would like to see more condition on the bull but if he has been out with heifers that would explain it. A young bull will work himself to death lol an older bull will lay around then when the time is right take care of business. The young bucks will chase the heifer from the first sign of heat till she goes out. Good luck with him he should leave you some keeper daughters.

Gizmom

East Caney":13klgtb8 said:
I like the looks of Final Answer. I'd like this bull to have more muscle expression at 20 months. He's not fat, and that can certainly take away from his look. I'd like to see him again with another 2 points of body condition. He seems to be pretty straight-made and sound.

I personally like bulls in their working clothes.

ill have to admitt he is a nice looking bull.and i like seeing him in his working clothes.and not living at the feed bunk.

cloud9cattle":195gp3c8 said:
I personally like bulls in their working clothes.

bigbull338":195gp3c8 said:
ill have to admitt he is a nice looking bull.and i like seeing him in his working clothes.and not living at the feed bunk.

Am I the only one who thinks a bull doesn't have to be thin to be in his "working clothes"? He bred 10 heifers...

EC im talking about a bull that weighs 1800lbs or more at 2yrs old.thats been on heavy feed before he is turned out with cows.some bulls like that loose 200lbs on pasture real quick running with cows.i like a pasture raised bull that grew on pasture and hay and very little feed.

bigbull338":13ymrnac said:
EC im talking about a bull that weighs 1800lbs or more at 2yrs old.thats been on heavy feed before he is turned out with cows.some bulls like that loose 200lbs on pasture real quick running with cows.i like a pasture raised bull that grew on pasture and hay and very little feed.

Bigbull, I can agree with that statement wholeheartedly. I'm not interested at all in bringing a bull home or selling a bull that's going to melt away on decent grass. The bull in the picture is not so thin he's hurting, but he's a long way from fat. He could put on significant weight that would allow better expression of the quality I first stated I believe him to possess and still not have him covered in fat.

Working clothes would mean he has been working which in this case the bull has been and at a young age. If the bull was in this condition and not working then I would think he was hard doing. I figured prior to asking if he was a virgin bull that he had been on some cows, the Regis and Final Answer calves we have are easy keepers at our place. I will also add, you guys can say I don't want fat on a bull all you want but take one to a sale in his working clothes where all the other bulls are in good flesh and watch how fast you lose your arse. Been there done that learned my lesson.

Gizmom