New Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Just picked up my new "aggie" Simmental bull. He's 17 months old. Tear him up!

DSC03718.jpg
[/img]

i see he likes long legs and big ......ears too!

how many nuts does he have?

arent simmental bulls supposed to have white faces?

He's thick enough. Looks kinda coarse made, but probably just real green. What's wrong with his scortum/testes? Looks like his sack has been split.

Good luck with him!

TheBullLady":3bql8qwj said:
Just picked up my new "aggie" Simmental bull. He's 17 months old. Tear him up!

DSC03718.jpg
[/img]

He looks small compared to the cows. What's an "aggie" bull? From A&M? Do they have a Simmetal herd?

Man, that bull has a very big set of testicles. He should be very fertile. Good luck with him and hope the progeny are good.

THG

Cattle Today

SCROTAL SIZE AND SHAPE AN INDICATION OF BULL FERTILITY

By: Heather Smith Thomas

Scrotal shape and size can be a good indication of a bull's fertility. Exact size can't be measured, but you can usually tell by visual inspection whether or not a bull is adequate or falls short in this department. Shape is important also, since a bull needs to be able to raise and lower his testicles easily for proper temperature control.
The testicles should hang down well away from the body in warm weather. There should be an obvious "neck" at the top of the scrotum, with the testicles hanging down large and pearshaped. A bull with a straightsided scrotum or a "V" shaped scrotum (tapering down to the tip) is often not as fertile as a bull with a normal scrotum.

This bull has abnormally shaped testicles. Might not be a problem tough. Time will tell.

My vet might have recommended culling him. I might have agreed.

MikeC, I may have to agree that this bull doesn't have enough thickness for my liking, but I guess he will do for what he is doing.

THG

Why does it look like he has a sace for each nut? Or is it just me??
thats odd right? ive seen lots of bulls and they have all had one sack. lol
Katy

Hmmm.. didn't notice the "testes" thing until y'all started making fun of them.

They are in one sack, contrary to the way they look in the picture. Must have been the angle.. or maybe he was excited? :lol:

Yes, A & M has a Simmental program. And funny you mentioned a vet would cull him. He was evaluated by the vets at A & M.

And funny you mentioned a vet would cull him.

No. I didn't say that. I said:

This bull has abnormally shaped testicles. Might not be a problem tough. Time will tell.

My vet might have recommended culling him. I might have agreed.

There are very obvious potential problems with this bull's reproductive system. The seeming "split" scrotum prevents the testicles from moving about more or less freely, which is part of the Thermo-regulatory system, along with the ability of the testicles to move away from and closer to the body cavity, for temperature control, therby allowing the sperm to remain viable ( active and motile). Additionally, the Epididymis, which stores sperm prior to ejaculation, is constricted at the bottom of this bull's testicles, which also contributes to a problem of maintaining correct temperature control. He MAY be able to reproduce somewhat, but I would not want to introduce a potential Reproductive System pathology into my herd - males OR females - as it is a Moderate to High Heritability trait. Likewise, the protruding penis is another undesirable Urogenital congenital malady which is certainly an undesirable functional trait.

Secondarily, he is lacking in length of rump, and has a restricted heart girth. He has no crest, and lacks hindquarter depth and fullness for a Simmental.

I think you can do better for the sake of your future herd. I wouldn't suggest that you plan to keep any of his heifers for replacements - if you decide to keep him. Good EPD's or not, they wouldn't justify using him for retaining his heifers.

DOC HARRIS

Looks small to be 17 months unless the cow hes smellin is larger than she seems. It could just be the pic.

I would think A&M could do a lot better job of producing a bull than this.

Im also goin with MikeC and DOC on this one. I think you could do alot better. JMO

Bull Lady remaining strangely silent. I'll see if I can get her started. Has A&M got a Monahans oil field test station? That would explain the dwarfism.

Latest posts