New Bull (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Here is the new bull at the ranch I work for.

RCR Scorpions Stinger
D.O.B. 3/22/2004
Sire: Sunrise Samson
Dam: RCR Scorpion
Wt. on 6/9/2005: 1125lbs

RCR_SCORPIONS_STINGER.jpg

He is the 2005 TLBT National Grand Champion Bull, he also was Grand Bull at the Houston Livestock Show.

He's been out to pasture since the 2nd week of June, what do yall think?

Ryan

I am not a man to tell you about longhorns but I will give it a shot. I could say the only thing I can see i nthis longhorn is he has arc in his back and could use some BC or volume, muscling. But I am not a lonhorn guy.

preston39":2zutcwrk said:
Ryan,
Good phenotype.... as longhorns go...but, where are the horns? How old is he ...maybe 18 months...2 yrs?

His D.O.B. is 3/22/2004 so, i guess he's like 15 1/2 months old.

He's got horns, not much, but they're there.

Ryan

Nice looking muscled Longhorn bull. Great color! Could have straighter topline. Should contribule "body" to his calves (LH or Cross-Bred). Probably won't contribute much horn to calves though unless bred to 70" + cow.

By comparison, our Junior herd sire has about 47" total horn at 19 mos (had 39" at one year). He's got decent body too.

The back will strengthen and level in another year - just judging him as a BEEF Bull, he is a much better beef animal than previous LH's I have seen, particularly in the hind quarters. His heart girth is lacking (typical LH ) but not too bad. Good bone - better than most LH. In Longhorn judging you have to consider Horn, and he is a little lacking. But for beef - 0-10 - -I give him about 6. Great color for LH breeders to consider. The experience that I have had with Longhorn MEAT: Little marbling - therefore tough, stringy and not very good taste. A LH breeder friend of mine told me that you have to get used to it! :shock: Say- WHAT? N-o-o-o-o-t Exactly!

Just had some awesome Longhorn T-bones form our last steer butchered. Grilled medium, had been marinated in some Dale's for about an hour prior to grilling. Delicious. For some reason our Longhorn beef hasn't been tough, stringy or bad tasting. Hmmm.....

I'd cut those horns off and put him on my angus cows. I wouldn't mind having him be my first calf heifer sire either. :lol:

As a longhorn, seems to be lacking horn. Other than that, nice loooking bull. Really surprised at the lack of horn though.

SF":fsr9gguk said:
As a longhorn, seems to be lacking horn. Other than that, nice loooking bull. Really surprised at the lack of horn though.

He doesn't have a whole lot of horn, correct. He comes from a breeding program similar to ours, in that they are willing to sacrifice some horn and not body. I guess we are unlike other breeders who are willing to sacrifice beef, conformation, and production ability for some more horn.

We do have a couple of other bulls that do have really good horns, one at 60+ inches and a junior bull with 50" at 2 1/2 years old.

Ryan

Ryan":1zst0ob1 said:
SF":1zst0ob1 said:

He doesn't have a whole lot of horn, correct. He comes from a breeding program similar to ours, in that they are willing to sacrifice some horn and not body. I guess we are unlike other breeders who are willing to sacrifice beef, conformation, and production ability for some more horn.

We do have a couple of other bulls that do have really good horns, one at 60+ inches and a junior bull with 50" at 2 1/2 years old.

Ryan

How large do you expect this bulls horns to get?

If I had to guess I would say between 40" - 50".. but that is just a Guess. I'm not really sure it is possible to predict the length of the horns on Longhorns. I know of one website that has a calculator that uses some formula based on length of horn, and months of age to predict at maturity, but i dont know how well that works, and it was made a while back. Don't know if it is up to date with all the breeding for horn of today.

Ryan

Ryan":zxxf2nfz said:
If I had to guess I would say between 40" - 50".. but that is just a Guess. I'm not really sure it is possible to predict the length of the horns on Longhorns. I know of one website that has a calculator that uses some formula based on length of horn, and months of age to predict at maturity, but i dont know how well that works, and it was made a while back. Don't know if it is up to date with all the breeding for horn of today.

Ryan

If he ends up with 50 inch horns then he will have more than sufficient horn. Must just be the picture. Looks like you've got another good one.

SF":iq2g9rbj said:
Ryan":iq2g9rbj said:

Ryan

If he ends up with 50 inch horns then he will have more than sufficient horn. Must just be the picture. Looks like you've got another good one.

Thanks. I doubt he'll get all the way to 50. he was brought in for his body and conformation, definantly not for horn ;-) . I think we've got a couple of other bulls that make up for his horn, or lack thereof.

Ryan

Latest posts