New Bull Is Here

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Our new bull got dropped off yesterday by H'76. It was raining so I waited til today to get some pics of him and video.
I didn't want to get between him and our other bulls.

Video hope it works

IMG_6332.jpg

IMG_6333.jpg

IMG_6338.jpg

IMG_6339.jpg

IMG_6341.jpg

This appears to be a fine Phenotype of a Hereford bull! He should produce some fine calves for you if he "nicks" with your other herd sires and brood cows. I do have a question regarding his right hock positioning.

What is his age - 4+ years?

DOC HARRIS

Doc we kept them seperate last night and put them together this morning.
Other then alot of bawling, postering and one flipping the bale feeder they were fine.
I was in the pen with the fence with hot wire between us.

He was born April 4, 2009.

I luv herfrds":3vtqgkxd said:
Doc we kept them seperate last night and put them together this morning.
Other then alot of bawling, postering and one flipping the bale feeder they were fine.
I was in the pen with the fence with hot wire between us.

He was born April 4, 2009.

Outstanding!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1hy8qqt6 said:
This appears to be a fine Phenotype of a Hereford bull! He should produce some fine calves for you if he "nicks" with your other herd sires and brood cows. I do have a question regarding his right hock positioning.

What is his age - 4+ years?

DOC HARRIS

When I saw the picture from the rear view, i thought someone would talk about the rear hock. Personally, I think it has more to do with another bull snorting on his "Privates".... My hocks would be out of whack too...LOL :D

ILH - a question on horns from a polled beginner. I don't seem to recall seeing many horned cattle in the other pictures you have posted. Seeing as the new bull and the other one shown are horned, what is your feeling/management of horns in at least some of the offspring? Not being critical of horns, just trying to understand different ways of looking at them. Maybe in western range operations you just don't care whether the calves are horned or not? Thanks. (A very nice looking bull! Congratulations)

Jim

SRBeef":270vakle said:
ILH - a question on horns from a polled beginner. I don't seem to recall seeing many horned cattle in the other pictures you have posted. Seeing as the new bull and the other one shown are horned, what is your feeling/management of horns in at least some of the offspring? Not being critical of horns, just trying to understand different ways of looking at them. Maybe in western range operations you just don't care whether the calves are horned or not? Thanks. (A very nice looking bull! Congratulations)

Jim
jim i think i can answer that q for her.most if not all horned hereford breeders that raise bulls with horns.an they weight them down to turn them down so the bulls wont hurt eachother so bad if they fight.but now they dehorn all if not most of their reg hereford cows as heifers.

bigbull338":1smzm8gl said:
SRBeef":1smzm8gl said:

Jim
jim i think i can answer that q for her.most if not all horned hereford breeders that raise bulls with horns.an they weight them down to turn them down so the bulls wont hurt eachother so bad if they fight.but now they dehorn all if not most of their reg hereford cows as heifers.
Actually, they shave the horn on the curve which helps it grow a certain way. And I don't know any registered Hereford seed stock producers that dehorn horned Hereford heifers. At least not around here.

Isomade":1szpebyw said:
And I don't know any registered Hereford seed stock producers that dehorn horned Hereford heifers. At least not around here.

Actually, there are a lot more horned breeders that dehorn the heifers now - than those breeders who leave the horns on them.

George

Jim we dehorn our heifers and bull calves. Back in hubby's grandfathers day they left the horns on, but some boss cows were injurying other cattle with the horns so they started cutting them off.

We had a couple of cows where the dehorning paste didn't work. One got stuck messing around with a mineral feeder, we knocked her horns off. The other one never caused a problem other then "talking" to her unborn calf for 2 weeks before having it. Drove me crazy, kept thinking we had a calf born.

George is right Isomade alot of the guys knock the horns off their heifers.

Bull looks good ILH. I dont think he will be to big. H76 raises good no nonsense cattle from what PICS I have seen. Never been to his place but do plan to visit if I ever get up that way and he says its ok.

Good bull.

Thanks for all the posts.

He goes out with the girls on the 30th. Then after 7 days our other bull from H76, Bear, will head out. That way we can see how this new bulls calves look like, hopefully.

already talking to H76 about a new heifer bull. Know he sold a possible heifer bull to Northern Rancher would like to see the info on the calves concerning BW. It got me to thinking of AI'ing the first years to him.
Just thinking though, nothing is set in stone.

Hey Knersie, no comment?

I luv herfrds":2iepsdcy said:
Thanks for all the posts.

He goes out with the girls on the 30th. Then after 7 days our other bull from H76, Bear, will head out. That way we can see how this new bulls calves look like, hopefully.

already talking to H76 about a new heifer bull. Know he sold a possible heifer bull to Northern Rancher would like to see the info on the calves concerning BW. It got me to thinking of AI'ing the first years to him.
Just thinking though, nothing is set in stone.

Hey Knersie, no comment?

I was hoping on sitting this one out :secret:

I think he'll do nicely for your needs, walks very well, good coat, decent width from end to end, good head, adequate muscle. Could have been stronger over the loin and could have been better balanced and with a touch more bone and muscle that carries down lower for my taste. For a range bull I think he's pretty much spot on, but he wouldn't get me excited for a registered operation. Knowing the source you know he is bred and selected right for your needs and that is all that counts.