New Bull, Beefmaster???

Help Support CattleToday:

J&D Cattle

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new member from Missouri. I currently run 24 black mommas, 7 are out of a black Lim bull, 7 are Angus, and 10 are Angux X cows with a bit of ear. I currently run an Angus bull but am thinking of switching to a black Beefmaster. There is a producer around here that can get me in on a grass-fed arrangement if I buy one of his Beefmaster bulls. Guy buys calves at 650 lbs and pays you market value with no commission or docking of any kind for horns or color. Bulls get steer prices too, no need to cut them. This guy has some real growthy calves that look like they will have 100lbs on my Angus calves.

My concerns are that if this grass-fed arrangement falters I'll be stuck with calves that will docked all to heck at the local barn. Will a black Beefmaster bull on these types of cows keep the dewflap, sheath, and spots to a minimum? Are there specific things I need to look for in a Beefmaster bull? Or should I just pick another black hided breed and shoot for good cross bred calves that will maximize growth and head towards the barn.

Lastly, I'm thinking black hided purely becuase of price around here. We would also possibly be retaining some hiefers but that would not be our primary goal. Primary goal is pounds of beef to market. Thanks for your input.

Sounds great for you and him , BUT looks like to me he is entering into a contract with you. I would just get it in writing, what about the hiefers?

The bull is black means nothing unless he is Homozygous Black, I had one that was Homo Black and Polled, But he gave ears nearly 1 foot long but with a clean tight sheath
0523.JPG

As far as sheath and ear is concerned, a beefmaster is a beefmaster, you will probably have some ear and sheath whether black, paint, duns or red, but they will grow like the dickens, without a lot of input you should wean a 650Lb calf @ around 7 months :D

You do seam a little north for Beefmasters?

sound like a good way to market .... personally id stay the way your going... with beef prices the way they are, you can make money on a week old ,3 legged, blind longhorn.... to get your calves 100 pnds heavier like his, youd have to change cow's...... not by using a maternal bull

Thanks for the reply Thommooss.

The contract part is my hangup too as he can't gurantee anything. He will by the heifers also if I didn't keep them for replacements. To me I need to plan on being able to market them to the sale barn and if this grassfed venture worked out it would be a major plus. Those extra pounds sure sound tempting, my best bet may be to just go to the local barn and talk to some of the buyers???

I'm also concerned about being this far North, guy said he bought some cows out of MS and they fell apart up here for a while.

ALACOWMAN":2yyfosb1 said:
sound like a good way to market .... personally id stay the way your going... with beef prices the way they are, you can make money on a week old ,3 legged, blind longhorn.... to get your calves 100 pnds heavier like his, youd have to change cow's...... not by using a maternal bull

I'd say you're right, to much uncertainty without a guaranteed contract. What breed or breeds would you recommend taking the cows to? Thanks

Sounds like a sweet deal, but I would not use a black Beefmaster. I just don't think the quality is there yet. A good solid red with Lasater or Casey breeding would be my choice.

for pounds, a good charolais on those cows should take up the slack... your best bet in the beef business is to stay the course,,, and not chase rabbits...breeders will have you chasing your tail

houstoncutter":22lm3yqd said:
Sounds like a sweet deal, but I would not use a black Beefmaster. I just don't think the quality is there yet. A good solid red with Lasater or Casey breeding would be my choice.

Ya, on top of what you said this guy is a small time beefmaster breeder so I feel like I would be "settling" for very common genetics and gambling on this venture working out. Thanks

ALACOWMAN":3c9x39gr said:
your best bet in the beef business is to stay the course,,, and not chase rabbits...breeders will have you chasing your tail

Probably the soundest advice I'll get, thanks for your help.

J&D Cattle":39nee4m7 said:
ALACOWMAN":39nee4m7 said:
your best bet in the beef business is to stay the course,,, and not chase rabbits...breeders will have you chasing your tail

Probably the soundest advice I'll get, thanks for your help.

That is sound advice.. except... if they were my cows.. I would put a black homo & polled limi bull on them for the straight limi's and Limflex cross.

Limomike":1q1cat2m said:
That is sound advice.. except... if they were my cows.. I would put a black homo & polled limi bull on them for the straight limi's and Limflex cross.

Black Limi would make the short list if I decide to stay the course and market directly to the sale barn. Thanks

J&D Cattle":1yeczu9x said:
Limomike":1yeczu9x said:

Black Limi would make the short list if I decide to stay the course and market directly to the sale barn. Thanks
sale barn not necessarily the only option,, in a stay the course breeding system :cowboy:

True ALACOWMAN. Your reply actually jogged my memory about a local extention program that co-mingles calves into pot loads after they are backgrounded for a short while. After backgrounding they are then marketed to one of the bigger feed lots in our area. They get some real uniform loads this way and seem to get a nice premium.

J&D Cattle":1xbvl3kn said:
Hello, I'm a new member from Missouri. I currently run 24 black mommas, 7 are out of a black Lim bull, 7 are Angus, and 10 are Angux X cows with a bit of ear. I currently run an Angus bull but am thinking of switching to a black Beefmaster. There is a producer around here that can get me in on a grass-fed arrangement if I buy one of his Beefmaster bulls. Guy buys calves at 650 lbs and pays you market value with no commission or docking of any kind for horns or color. Bulls get steer prices too, no need to cut them. This guy has some real growthy calves that look like they will have 100lbs on my Angus calves.

My concerns are that if this grass-fed arrangement falters I'll be stuck with calves that will docked all to heck at the local barn. Will a black Beefmaster bull on these types of cows keep the dewflap, sheath, and spots to a minimum? Are there specific things I need to look for in a Beefmaster bull? Or should I just pick another black hided breed and shoot for good cross bred calves that will maximize growth and head towards the barn.

Lastly, I'm thinking black hided purely becuase of price around here. We would also possibly be retaining some hiefers but that would not be our primary goal. Primary goal is pounds of beef to market. Thanks for your input.

I hate to break this to you Beefmaster's are not black you are delving back in Angus cesspool.

Caustic Burno":2xymz4t1 said:
I hate to break this to you Beefmaster's are not black you are delving back in Angus cesspool.

I am new to posting but have read enough that I was wondering when somebody would say something along those lines. I couldn't agree more about Beefmaster's not being black. There's probably another 10 breeds that we could say the same about through. Will there ever be a day when cattle will be judged truly for what they are and not hide color???

J&D Cattle":1ech8ioz said:
Caustic Burno":1ech8ioz said:

I am new to posting but have read enough that I was wondering when somebody would say something along those lines. I couldn't agree more about Beefmaster's not being black. There's probably another 10 breeds that we could say the same about through. Will there ever be a day when cattle will be judged truly for what they are and not hide color???
im thinking, if cattle prices stay high... you'll see more breeds turning back to their colors

ALACOWMAN":2ikc1ert said:
J&D Cattle":2ikc1ert said:
Caustic Burno":2ikc1ert said:

im thinking, if cattle prices stay high... you'll see more breeds turning back to their colors

ALA.. kinda makes you wonder if all that bandwagon jumpin that some did, actually did good for the long haul?

TennesseeTuxedo":1uhjuce2 said:
I don't believe I would characterize it as "the Angus cesspool" more like a cesspool created by the breeders that are attempting to coop the beneficial features that the Angus breed has to offer.

My :2cents:
:cowboy: