New Bull, Beefmaster???

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":uuid5nb2 said:
I don't believe I would characterize it as "the Angus cesspool" more like a cesspool created by the breeds that are attempting to coop the beneficial features that the Angus breed has to offer.

My :2cents:

Like what? Black hide? :bs:

I don't believe I would characterize it as "the Angus cesspool" more like a cesspool created by the breeds that are attempting to coop the beneficial features that the Angus breed has to offer.

I gues that is why so many went for the Black hide, I would like to know how many cross breed the Angus to improve the Angus? :2cents:
Tenn, I guess for lower wean, calf pullin, black hide, have to hormone, tempermental animals,more inputs and less output, Angus is great, :2cents: :2cents: :mrgreen:

I enjoy all breeds of cattle but it just so happens we raise Angus. I intend to purchase some Hereford cows or heifers later this summer to run with one of our registered bulls and see how the offspring turn out. Everybody loves a good baldy don't they?

I'm sorry you've had issues with Angus cattle in the past but frankly we've not experienced the hazards you mention. Just lucky I suppose...or maybe we've stayed out of the cesspool.

What ever works for you TT. People that like the Angus Hereford cross should have them, just ain't my kind of cattle. If i was going to change what i do, I would buy the best hereford bull i could find to use on my Limousin cows. Breed the offspring to a Char bull to go to the sale barn.

TennesseeTuxedo":3j3hqgdo said:

That is happy horseshyt, if the market went to red white face tomorrow , Angus breeders would be turning red white face and claiming they were Angus.

This is about a dollar . P.T. Barnum had this right sucker born every minute.

And I have an Angus bull standing in the pasture. He is far from being the best bull I have owned or sired the best calve's.
They have bought the best price because of black hide.

Just got back from Disney World, and on the menu's there was Angus burgers, and steaks. The 1/3lb. burgers were $10.00 with fries and drink, and the steak dinners were $30.00 for a 10oz. strip. It's nice to have Disney and McDonalds selling for you.
The steaks were good, the burgers were fair at best. Maybe they ground something besides Angus for the hamburgers.

around here SimAngus bulls seem to be all the rage. growthier than the angus, they claim.

It is always possible to get the agreement in writing and go for a red beefmaster bull. This would make sense in many ways. :2cents:

I'm still debating. The breeder was in my office at the end of last week trying to make a hard sale. He does talk a good talk and the fat check he just received for his calves from the grass fed buyer looked awful nice. My falls cows won't be ready for a bull until December so I'm in no hurry. Thanks to everybody for their input.

J&D, I'm with Beefy on a Simangus or a black full Sim Bull. That way you get growth as well as maternal (since you may retain some heifers). @ TennTux, my two cents would be maternal cows that are going to throw mostly solid black with no white spots on face... you thought of buying Gerts? @ Alacow: just curious, what do you like and what do you now have?

TennesseeTuxedo":2tyuy2vm said:

I agree. I am not an Angus purebred breeder but I do use Angus Bulls along with Hereford Bulls lately and have used several different kinds of bulls over the years. But this notion that the only thing Black Angus have going from them is a black hide is really silly. if anything in 90% of the U.S. the Black hide would actually be a detriment. Especially in Alabama when it is suppose to be 100 + degrees several days this week. The reason that Black Angus are the dominant breed right now is the consume really cares about 2 things and it is not feed conversion or weaning weights or whatever peole hate about Black Angus. The consumer only cares about taste and tenderness. And marbling has been known to help with both and no cattle breed that is widely available and easily affordable can marble like Angus. Yes you may find a bull in another breed that will marble like Angus but good look affording it and when you can go to almost any local Angus Breeder which there are a million of them and find an Angus bull that will marble just as well for less than $2000.00 that is why Angus is on top and why it was easy to market and easy for buyers to pick them out is why most breeds have tried to copy them and incorporate the thing that Angus does well.

u4411clb":15q4gxi0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":15q4gxi0 said:

I agree. I am not an Angus purebred breeder but I do use Angus Bulls along with Hereford Bulls lately and have used several different kinds of bulls over the years. But this notion that the only thing Black Angus have going from them is a black hide is really silly. if anything in 90% of the U.S. the Black hide would actually be a detriment. Especially in Alabama when it is suppose to be 100 + degrees several days this week. The reason that Black Angus are the dominant breed right now is the consume really cares about 2 things and it is not feed conversion or weaning weights or whatever peole hate about Black Angus. The consumer only cares about taste and tenderness. And marbling has been known to help with both and no cattle breed that is widely available and easily affordable can marble like Angus. Yes you may find a bull in another breed that will marble like Angus but good look affording it and when you can go to almost any local Angus Breeder which there are a million of them and find an Angus bull that will marble just as well for less than $2000.00 that is why Angus is on top and why it was easy to market and easy for buyers to pick them out is why most breeds have tried to copy them and incorporate the thing that Angus does well.

Again I say horse shyt this is marketing 101 and the Angus Association's was pure genius or dumb luck, when they came up with CAB. This is a dupe on you and the American public shady advertisment at it's best .
Ninety Nine and 99/100's percent of American's couldn't tell the difference in a water buffalo and Angus steak .
They have bought the hype and someday this house of card's is going to fall like a turd in a well.
The right consumer group start pulling meat out of counter's and start DNA testing and the meat they are pulling from under a CAB sign is not going to be Angus. The American consumer doesn't like being duped and has no clue that all that is required is 51% black hide. All they are going to remember is the sign at the store said is Certified Angus Beef and they were not getting it. Let the right TV show like 60 minutes or Stossel run this and it is going to hurt us all. There is not enough Angus in the entire country to supply what is being sold as Angus.
I don't believe that BS about no Brimmer in it either cause mine do and I ring the bell with them at the barn as well as nearly everybody else in this part of the world.

That would be one heck of a conspiracy that allot of people wold have to be in on. And I do agree that there can be cattle from other breeds that meet the criteria for CAB more than some registred angus can I am saying that these buyers are playing the percentages and saying more often than not the Angus based cow is going to have more marbling and be recieved better by the public. Is it everytime and every cow heck no but is it more often than not I think that is what they are saying. I know quite a few buyers and I can't see them saying you know what there is really no difference in these cattle but I am going to pay more and bid more for the black ones just because the person next to me is doing it or just so I can go along with the crowd, again the amount of peole in on this would be huge and we would have had a news special on it by now. As far as brahman influence goes I would say 70% of mine have brahman influence and my spring calving herd that I am building 100% of them have Gert influence so I am really not trying to push people to Angus it doesn't help me one bit just trying to be honest about the situation.

Latest posts