New born bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart":1wp2dez5 said:
Just go back.
We got him to suck on his mother's teat for a few seconds and she kicked him gently away. Should I tie her feet?

I'm assuming you have her in a head catch or tied, so no I wouldn't tie her feet together. If she fights and falls could be injured or injure the calf or you. Might try smacking her, along with a Uhhhh, when she kicks, though.

I then milked about 8 oz out of her and gave it to him. He drank it all, I did milked another 8 oz and he did not want anymore.

So he drank 3 pints tonight? That's about right for his age, I think.

I was going to let her go out into the pasture with him, but I guess they will have to stay in another few days.

They cannot be turned out until you KNOW the calf is nursing and she is taking care of him.

Should I feed him tomorrow or just let him fend for himself?

Just keep doing what you're doing.....try to get him to nurse first, smack her if she kicks at him, and if it doesn't work feed him. You cannot let him go hungry for very long or he will get sick. There is always a chance that she will not take him.

Can I refrigerate the milk and then heat it tomorrow?

Yes, you can refrigerate the milk, re-heat it gently and feed the calf.

He seems constipated also. What should I do for that?

Mineral oil, both ends. I don't know how much....never had a constipated calf before. Sorry. :oops: Others will chime in that do know, though.

This is all new to me, and I don't want to loose him. I also don't want to bottle feed through the winter if I don't have to.

Considering the circumstances of the birth, you may have to. Especially if this is a first calf heifer.

lancemart":uuph2lqt said:
Just go back.
We got him to suck on his mother's teat for a few seconds and she kicked him gently away. Should I tie her feet?

Nope. I don't like hobbling them...they can get really panicked over that. You said - "kicked him gently away" - OK, take him back, try again. If she's not trying to put him through the shed wall or into the middle of next week, keep trying. Sometimes going from the back works better, sometimes not. Depends on the cow and her build and the way her udder is set up.

I then milked about 8 oz out of her and gave it to him. He drank it all, I did milked another 8 oz and he did not want anymore.
He will be 2 days old at 11:00 tonight. It has been warm here today it was almost 60 very unusal. I am lucky for that. It is supposed to rain tomorrow. I was going to let her go out into the pasture with him, but I guess they will have to stay in another few days. Should I feed him tomorrow or just let him fend for himself?

I wouldn't let him fend for himself - it doesn't always work - but I would stop bottle feeding him. Put your fingers in his mouth, lead him over, and guide him to the teat. He nurses, he gets fed. He doesn't nurse, he goes hungry. Try again 6-12 hours later. He's two days old; he can handle missing one feeding if it comes down to it.

I've taught 1-month-old bottle calves that had never nursed off a cow how to find a teat and drink, so this little calf should be a piece of cake. =)

Can I refrigerate the milk and then heat it tomorrow?
He seems constipated also. What should I do for that?
This is all new to me, and I don't want to loose him. I also don't want to bottle feed through the winter if I don't have to.

Yes you can refrigerate the milk. I wouldn't though - see my above comments - make that calf nurse off his mother. Otherwise you will be bottle feeding him all winter.

Yeah, I know this sounds gross, but it works.

When the calf is sucking, you can also gently rub the rectum.

It seems to encourage a calf to suck harder, and will help with the constipation because it also stimulates bowel movements (cows usually do this themselves, but seeing as your heifer is not an experienced or overly interested mother, you might try it).

PS. If you're not intersted in hobbling her, Dun knows how to tie a rope around the flank to keep a cow from kicking it's calf. Sounds like a neat trick.

Take care.

If you have a squeeze shoot, put moma in there twice a day; morning and afternoon. Get some of moma's
milk on your finger and place it in the calf's mouth. When the calf starts to suck your finger slip a teat in his
mouth with your finger. Keep this up until he will nurse moma without the finger trick; might be a couple of days.
I would not give baby a bottle before you have tried for at least 30 minutes to get him to nurse moma at each
feeding. Once he is nursing agressively with moma in the shoot, try it without her confined. If she kicks at baby,
hobble her and tie her head with a halter and rope with just enough slack to stand up and lay down. Keep her
tied with feed and water until she stops trying to discourage the calf. This has worked for me in the past such in the case of a cow abandoning one of the twins. GOOD LUCK.

CattleAnnie":irfmb1px said:
Yeah, I know this sounds gross, but it works.

When the calf is sucking, you can also gently rub the rectum.

It seems to encourage a calf to suck harder, and will help with the constipation because it also stimulates bowel movements (cows usually do this themselves, but seeing as your heifer is not an experienced or overly interested mother, you might try it).

PS. If you're not intersted in hobbling her, Dun knows how to tie a rope around the flank to keep a cow from kicking it's calf. Sounds like a neat trick.

Take care.

Nothing gross about that CA - ever watch a cow lick a calf while it sucks?

She's doing the same thing.

Bez!

Lancemart, have you given this calf any Selenium - (BoSe). He should be hungry enough to suck down 2 qts 2 X a day. I would get him sucking finger and "lead" him to the teat. If he doesn't suck, wait 1/2 hour or so & try again. Than if still not sucking teat, get him sucking the bottle than take it away & again lead to the teat.
As far as the cow kicking, you can take a rope with a loop on one end. Put it over her back, just in front of the hip bones, and bring it under her in front of her udder. Put the one end thru the loop & cinch her up tight. Be sure to just tie it off with a slip knot. They can't lift their hind legs that way, but sometimes they can get frightened (if the fight it) and can stumble, so you need to be ready to release it. Also, if the calf gets sucking & she is standing good, release the pressure a little at a time & make sure she is going to stand still. Than you can take it off.
But #! get some Selenium into that calf ASAP if you haven't already done so. You must purchase it from the vet.

Latest posts