New born bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
Our Heifer just had a bull calf about 11:00 est We had to pull him out,He was a big calf. She was exhausted and would not tend to her calf. He was wet and shaking from the cold it is about 26 degrees out tonight. He did not get up, he did not feed from her, she just lied there exhausted did not clean him she did nothing. I took the calf into the barn and dried him off and tried to give him some milk from the mother, he would not take it. It is about 5 o'clock now, he still has not eaten or tried to walk. Should I put him back in with the mother, he wants to sleep; should I let him rest for awhile. She does not seem to miss him. I need some help.

Whether the heifer likes it or not, she's a moma now. Do you have a way to restrain her? Maybe a squeeze chute or other method? If so, put her in, bring baby boy up to her and milk her into his mouth if you have to. If he doesn't want to suck, your gonna have to do the job for him at first. Perhaps "tube" feed him. Ryder is 100% correct. The calf needs to eat and fast.

Good luck

Lancemart - a producers nightmare.
You've got to get colostrum in the calf ASAP. Get him warm & fed. Get the heifer UP. Even if you have to beat on her, get her up. If she can't get up, you will have to roll her over from side to side. Give her Vit B-12 shot - for healing nerves.
If you cannot tube the calf, get a vet or neighbor that knows how. Calf needs colostrum right away. Pick him up & try to help him stand. If he uses his muscles, he will warm up quicker. Get him under a heat lamp or in the house.

If he hasn't been cleaned by mother take some old towels and warm them in the dryer. Rub him down good all over this will help get him warm and circulation going. Do what ever you have to do to get some milk down him. Use a turkey baster if that's all you have. WHat ever - try something. Let us know how he is.

You can also use a hair blow dryer to help dry him off and warm him up. Just make sure you keep the blowdryer moving so you don't burn him. My experience has been - the larger the calf, the slower they are at getting going. Work that calf. The longer you leave him rest, the less likelyhood of him getting going on his own. A shot of Bo Se wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Good advise...colostrum is critical ASAP, the calf's ability to asorb the colostrum is waning by the minute, after 24hrs it won't do any good. If you can't get him to suck then you will have to get a suppliment into him. Bottle in the mouth with your finger to coax him along, may have to tube him but get the colosrum in him...milk the mama for it is the best choice but don't wait.
Dave Mc

Beefy":16s8726l said:
this isnt Olivia the heifer is it?!
No Sorry I have been away from the site. Olivia had her bull calf Oct 31--His name is Witcho---He had to be pulled out also. He is doing great now.
This is Dolly's calf, it was bigger than witcho it took 3 off us to get it 1/2 way out the other half was just as hard to pull
Dolly was out for a day. She is doing fine.
The new bull-calf is just starting to walk. I got a 1/2 gal of colustrum in him about 8 hours after he was born. I know that is not a good thing it should have been done right away. Warmed him up, and brought him back to his mother. He could not walk. I milked Dolly and gave it to him. He then was able to get up. I had to do the same think 3 -4 times now and he is walking finally. He will not eat off his mother. I have to milk her to get him to eat.

Any suggestions. I tried to put her teat in his mouth he sucked for a few times and then quit. What should I do. Should I wait until he gets really hungry.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Keep plugging him in...he could have imprinted the bottle. Is Dolly grooming him, that should let him know that she's his mama. I'd think that he would take a warm teat over a cold nipple. DMc

Susie David":3m0yc2x8 said:
Keep plugging him in...he could have imprinted the bottle. Is Dolly grooming him, that should let him know that she's his mama. I'd think that he would take a warm teat over a cold nipple. DMc
Just keep forcing the mother's teat in his mouth. Is that what you are suggesting? Dolly is not grooming him , I had to do all the grooming. I think he thinks I am his mother.. :oops: :cboy:

He does - he has imprinted on you, rather than his mother. As long as he is full of milk, warm and content he has no reason to seek his mother out and nurse. Plus, his mother's nipple is different from the bottle nipple and he is used to the bottle nipple - like transitioning a calf off a cow onto a bottle except in reverse. Are you keeping this calf and his mother together?

msscamp":8ipwellh said:
He does - he has imprinted on you, rather than his mother. As long as he is full of milk, warm and content he has no reason to seek his mother out and nurse. Plus, his mother's nipple is different from the bottle nipple and he is used to the bottle nipple - like transitioning a calf off a cow onto a bottle except in reverse. Are you keeping this calf and his mother together?
Yes he is closed in a outside barn only with his mother a lot of straw water and hay for the mother, they are both closed in.

Ryder":2uoahki0 said:
Glad he made it. I was concerned that he might not.
Yes we are going out now to see if we can get him to feed off his mother if not I have a quart of her milk to give him. Is that enough?

lancemart":2letcqws said:
Ryder":2letcqws said:
Yes we are going out now to see if we can get him to feed off his mother if not I have a quart of her milk to give him. Is that enough?

I think I would give the calf say a pint, just enough to get a fire in his belly for milk and then put him on his mother. He may be fired up enough that he will suck.

msscamp":19mct7s8 said:
lancemart":19mct7s8 said:
Ryder":19mct7s8 said:

I think I would give the calf say a pint, just enough to get a fire in his belly for milk and then put him on his mother. He may be fired up enough that he will suck.

Just go back.
We got him to suck on his mother's teat for a few seconds and she kicked him gently away. Should I tie her feet? I then milked about 8 oz out of her and gave it to him. He drank it all, I did milked another 8 oz and he did not want anymore.
He will be 2 days old at 11:00 tonight. It has been warm here today it was almost 60 very unusal. I am lucky for that. It is supposed to rain tomorrow. I was going to let her go out into the pasture with him, but I guess they will have to stay in another few days. Should I feed him tomorrow or just let him fend for himself?
Can I refrigerate the milk and then heat it tomorrow?
He seems constipated also. What should I do for that?
This is all new to me, and I don't want to loose him. I also don't want to bottle feed through the winter if I don't have to.

Latest posts