New article that I wrote on Medium about cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

well dang..i hate to say this bit everyone round here is too poor for 15$/lb chicken and 16$ lb sirloins....I sell a half or a whole occ but most cant handle the quantity or the money out at 3$/lb on the rail plus the cut wrap fee...must be the same people buying all the million dollar homes on my way into town

************* said:
Hook2.0 said:
Ha. Your spoiled brat syndrome is showing

Please explain?

I'm merely pointing out that the fake meat craze is not going away, there is an aggressive, sophisticated campaign on to make sure people don't want your product.

If that's me being a brat, so be it....

Clearing rain forest as the native vegetation is no different than any of us clearing our native forest to have pastures. Divide the beef folks into good guy and bad guys is not the answer. Just saying.

Ebenezer said:
************* said:
Hook2.0 said:
Ha. Your spoiled brat syndrome is showing

Please explain?

I'm merely pointing out that the fake meat craze is not going away, there is an aggressive, sophisticated campaign on to make sure people don't want your product.

Clearing rain forest as the native vegetation is no different than any of us clearing our native forest to have pastures. Divide the beef folks into good guy and bad guys is not the answer. Just saying.

You are correct that at one point North America was cleared extensively. Having said that however, we as a people are somewhat better aware in 2019 of the damage that causes. We know that clearing the rainforest is destructive, we don't necessarily need to do it with the other options we have available.

There is a lot of land in the U.S. that is sitting idle, that does not need to be cleared and could be used for food production whether it be crops or livestock. No need to chop down forests.

cowrancher75 said:
want people to like cattle.. but tell everyone how they are filthy and beaten..

excellent.

If you think that videos like this one below help your cause, you are sadly mistaken. These videos make people QUIT consuming animal products.

The sooner this kind of stuff stops, the better our image as cattleman will be.

http://bit.ly/2V0qKoN

dieselbeef said:
well dang..i hate to say this bit everyone round here is too poor for 15$/lb chicken and 16$ lb sirloins....I sell a half or a whole occ but most cant handle the quantity or the money out at 3$/lb on the rail plus the cut wrap fee...must be the same people buying all the million dollar homes on my way into town

It probably would not be that way if there was a better method to get the product from farm to table, AND bypassing the middleman or multiple middlemen.

Most people don't need a whole steer, especially if it's a single person or couple. If there was a more efficient way to do this, those prices would not be as high. In my opinion.

************* said:
Ebenezer said:
************* said:
Please explain?

You are correct that at one point North America was cleared extensively. Having said that however, we as a people are somewhat better aware in 2019 of the damage that causes. We know that clearing the rainforest is destructive, we don't necessarily need to do it with the other options we have available.

There is a lot of land in the U.S. that is sitting idle, that does not need to be cleared and could be used for food production whether it be crops or livestock. No need to chop down forests.

It's not our rainforest to worry about. We should focus on what goes on in our on country instead of worrying about foriegn competition.
Beef fills the menu from wolf brand chili to five star. And when produced in country that offers little else in the way of agriculture, it's efficient. When you put down any beef including foriegn , you put it all down. The real competition is seafood, chicken and pork. That's who you should campaign against.......

callmefence said:
************* said:
Ebenezer said:

It's not our rainforest to worry about. We should focus on what goes on in our on country instead of worrying about foriegn competition.
Beef fills the menu from wolf brand chili to five star. And when produced in country that offers little else in the way of agriculture, it's efficient. When you put down any beef including foriegn , you put it all down. The real competition is seafood, chicken and pork. That's who you should campaign against.......

Fence, according to many on here, I have no clue what I'm talking about.

What I would like to know is this. When we have dairy facilities that are going bankrupt or are empty and we have people on this very thread saying that "there is no money in a cow calf operation", when we see complaints all the time on here about how raising cattle is a dead-end business, I scratch my head and wonder, why?

My hunch is this, this country failed to protect the cattle industry, instead we ignored COOL and told LOWER cost foreign producers "Hey, bring all the beef you want into this country" Now I know we export beef, that's true, but tell me why we would need to import beef from Brazil or Mexico, do we not have enough to meet demand here? I need to be clued in. I think it's because corporate interests want to maximize profits and U.S. beef is too expensive for that to happen. You simply can't make as much money paying U.S. producers a fair price for their product. Hence the greedy capitalist comment. If you can squeeze out a dollar more if you buy Brazil versus American, then let's go with Brazil. That's basic economics, but the real problem is that U.S. producers are left holding the bag, OR forced into accepting lower prices.

I feel confident that if COOL were in place, and strictly adhered to, that you all would be far happier when you sold your animals. I also feel that if a label were on a package of beef that said "Origin unknown, breed unknown" or something like that, the consumer, or at least the one most here should be targeting would say "uh, maybe I will pass on this one" versus "born, raised, and processed in United States of America"

Rainforest land is obviously cheaper to run cattle on than places like Kentucky and Missouri, and so on. That land is needed for real estate development right?

Prices for everything are going up quickly, including beef. Problem is producers are not enjoying the price hikes overall. Don't you think it's about time they do? Unless one's cattle operation is a non for profit charitable organization, why wouldn't one push to get prices for their product as high as possible?

I've noticed that this thread is getting a lot of views, so if you are trying to catch up and understand why I have :mad: pizzed off a lot of people, here is why.

http://bit.ly/2UTsrEr

callmefence said:
************* said:
Ebenezer said:

Surf and turf is as good as it gets. IMO Imports and trying to compete with chicken and pork is what has hurt the US beef producers. Quality US caught seafood sells for a premium and there's not enough to go around. COOL has worked great in the US seafood industry because it's not controlled by foreign countries like the beef industry.
When EID tags become mandatory, and the buyers start to use DNA and ultrasound scanning to determine how much an animal is worth, some beef producers will do really well. I feel our operation will profit greatly from the breeding decisions we make in the next few years for years to come. CAB has proven there's a market for quality, now they just need to tighten up the ropes.

************* said:
I've noticed that this thread is getting a lot of views, so if you are trying to catch up and understand why I have :mad: pizzed off a lot of people, here is why.

I don't want anyone telling me what I can or can't do. So I sure can't see telling another country what they can or can't do.

True Grit Farms said:
************* said:

I don't want anyone telling me what I can or can't do. So I sure can't see telling another country what they can or can't do.

I'm not telling Brazil what to do, I'm just saying "I'm not going to consume your product" which they could care less about, but if a LOT of people say that, then things will change.

I happen to love Channellock products, they are expensive, and they are made in U.S.A. but they are a heck of a lot better than garbage that falls apart from China.

Same concept when it comes to U.S. beef. I happen to think it's superior to that of imported beef.

True Grit Farms said:
callmefence said:
************* said:

Surf and turf is as good as it gets. IMO Imports and trying to compete with chicken and pork is what has hurt the US beef producers. Quality US caught seafood sells for a premium and there's not enough to go around. COOL has worked great in the US seafood industry because it's not controlled by foreign countries like the beef industry.
When EID tags become mandatory, and the buyers start to use DNA and ultrasound scanning to determine how much an animal is worth, some beef producers will do really well. I feel our operation will profit greatly from the breeding decisions we make in the next few years for years to come. CAB has proven there's a market for quality, now they just need to tighten up the ropes.

You couldn't have said it any BETTER!

Why campaign against any food, if you're a big boy you can decide for yourself, I don't need anyone telling me what to eat, or what's wrong with what I eat or how its raised, been to enough other countries and know enough that I'll stick to how we do it right here at home

haase said:
Why campaign against any food, if you're a big boy you can decide for yourself, I don't need anyone telling me what to eat, or what's wrong with what I eat or how its raised, been to enough other countries and know enough that I'll stick to how we do it right here at home

most people can be told what to do and think pretty easily.

True Grit Farms said:
callmefence said:
************* said:

Cab has proven that mass (borderline deceptive) advertising campaigns work.
Grit buddy I really hope your breeding decisions profit you greatly. .... just for the record I still think you've bumped your head... :D

cowrancher75 said:
haase said:

most people can be told what to do and think pretty easily.
The gullibility of large swaths of demographics never ceases to amaze me..

I don't know if this fits here. But we are talking about quality. I saw a close out on a couple of loads of steers a few days ago, suprising how many of those beefmaster brangus cross calves went CAB.

callmefence said:
True Grit Farms said:
callmefence said:

Cab has proven that mass (borderline deceptive) advertising campaigns work.
Grit buddy I really hope your breeding decisions profit you greatly. .... just for the record I still think you've bumped your head... :D

More than once Fenceman, aren't you supposed to learn from the hard knocks?

Latest posts