new and need information fast

Help Support CattleToday:

wiggles

Reaction score
HI and thanks for any help recieved.
I have a yearling bull that went down 3 days ago, 3 vet calls and still no real help or insite. Have cork screw in side due to bloat form being down I hope. Moves legs but stiff in right back leg. It's the leg he is laying on.
Cork screw is bubbling bright red blood and passing lots of clots that we have to keep it cleaned with. The vet tonight does not know why the bright red blood.
We tried to get him up but....
I think he is dehydrated and is giving up. Any ideas on how to get him jump started. I hate to loose him was getting ready to try and show him.
Thanks

KSU has a vet school. If you can't get the locals to figure it out, they should be able to at the college. He could be down for a myriad of reasons, from nutritional imbalance to disease to fracture. Also, the bright red blood indicates a blood vessel was perforated with the corkscrew. Perhaps a rumen fistula would be better there now (surgically created hole, takes about 10 minutes to do).

Good Luck
V

I have thought about taking him to the school. Discussed with a dairy farmer yesterday. His response is how much do you want to spend. HE is right but darn it loosing a bull is expensive too , as we had just sold this guy. We raise simmental. We have been feeding prarie hay and 20% protien tub, and mineral. All of the other cows and calfs and other bulls are fine.
Before you ask they are all in the same pen. No the big bull did not fight him, too laid back. (besides its his dad and he is the biggest protector of him now).
My biggest problem is how do you get an animal that is down on to trailer that is safe to move him over 80 miles away?

wiggles":3s2r2d3o said:
I think he is dehydrated and is giving up. Any ideas on how to get him jump started. I hate to loose him was getting ready to try and show him.
Thanks
is there any way to rehydrate him?

WE have been giving him H2O but he has not been drinking the normal amt he would. HAve given him water also from water bottle in which we squirted it in his mouth. What are your thought on giving electolytes or soda for energy as he expends so much energy trying to get up?

aplusmnt":1t5fzq3c said:
can't they give him an I.V. to hydrate him?
not outside on the pasture ground...which is where i'm assuming he is?

aplusmnt":3rlg8j6w said:
can't they give him an I.V. to hydrate him?

Should be able to - if wiggles has the neccessary stuff. I know if I had a dehydrated COW I wouldn't have near enough fluids to rehydrate them. You're talking LITERS of fluids, and I don't keep that much on hand.

go get some powdered gatoraid or simular and some tubing and run the tubing thru his nose down his throat and pour in the gatoraid. this as got me out of sticky places before.

Tube through nose water/gatorade or better yet electrolytes in water for scouring calves in bulk (12)packages in 4 gallons of water. Antibiotics so that if he does get over it he doesn't get infection from the cork screw, need vet there, it's hard to diagnose something like this with certainty without seeing the animal

Got some brave folks on here. I've seen horses tubed through a nostril, but not cows. Seems to me it would be harder on the animal and easier to put fluids down the wrong way. I've always just opened the mouth and stuffed everything down that-a-way. LOL. Both mature cows and calves.

Where the bull in question is already down, it should be simple to drench and IV him.

I would drench him as milkmaid suggested then i would pull a blood sample and have a lab look at it could be low on calcium or phosphurus. I just saw a vet IV a down cow with an enema made for human use Fleet was the brand the blood work said she was low on phosphorus and they used that to fix her up and it worked. Pull blood for the lab. Drench the heck out of him.

wiggles after the lab check if ya need to iv the bull you can get the stuff at tractor supply.had one years ago that was down and i had a scaffold on hand.i erected the scaffold around her.i used some carpet and made her a sling.i come a longed her till her hoofs just touched the ground.this got her up.i kept her medicated.its just a thought.not sure how far youre willing to go.me if ican iwill do anything to help an animal.good luck with your bull.the other replies are right.check the blood.may be something hes lacking.

Today with the help of my very nice neighbors we were able to roll "Jebidah" on the other side for short time. No dead hair and circulation looked to be pretty good. Did not want him on the side for long as cork screw was on that side. We then got our heads to gether and turned him on his belly and got his legs under him both front and back. He can control his head and front legs. Back legs are ther but slow. Wonder if it is from being stretched out striaght for so long even though we exercised him a lot. When he was turned right he drank 5 gal bucket of water down and ate a bit of hay and cubes. Stools look good. I am hopeful he is still upright when I get off work in this morning. I work 12 hour night shifts.
As for a sling I want to get him up on his feet. Will to do just about anything to save him. HE is a really nice bull. Is carpet really strong enough to hold them?
I will try the gatorade and the electolytes. I have access to both. As for the IV I can do the human type but not sure I can do bovine type. I am serious about getting him packed up and taking him to Kansas State to the Vet school.
I look foreward to more help from you guys you are great. :D

Is there any chance that you recently dewormed him with a product that kills grubs?
As far as getting him in a trailer, you could use a wrench in the trailer & literally drag him in it.
Or, if you could get the trailer backed right up to him, several people could ROLL him into the trailer (my choice).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2czow8pi said:
Is there any chance that you recently dewormed him with a product that kills grubs?
As far as getting him in a trailer, you could use a wrench in the trailer & literally drag him in it.
Or, if you could get the trailer backed right up to him, several people could ROLL him into the trailer (my choice).

I'm trying to figure out how big of a "wrench" you would need to get him in a trailer

dun

Jeanne - Simme Valley":35sscnj8 said:
Oh Oh where's my spell check.
Glad to see you up and adam this AM, hope I gave you a little chuckle.

As Mr. F. Wilson (as Geraldine) used to say "the devil made me do it"

dun

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2xjvl7q0 said:
I tend to have a lot of devil in me. :D
I like your goat avatar better than the "seagull?"

Thanks, I think the photog caught me at one of my best moments

dun

Latest posts