new and need information fast

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid":3uuy0cg5 said:
Got some brave folks on here. I've seen horses tubed through a nostril, but not cows. Seems to me it would be harder on the animal and easier to put fluids down the wrong way. I've always just opened the mouth and stuffed everything down that-a-way. LOL. Both mature cows and calves.

Where the bull in question is already down, it should be simple to drench and IV him.

i was glad to hear after my post he drank by hisself. i have tubed a few calves that where down and scoured. it is'nt for everyone i guess. i learned it from my neighbor. i keep a can of powdered gatorade handy just for this reason. i mix it stiff. it really isnt all that hard. lift the chin alittle higher and it'll go true. on the other hand i've never had any luck in pouring down their throat.

Wiggles, if you ask caustic, he will tell you exactly where to aim the bullet. As for me, good luck on the recovery. Always a good thing to save animal if possible.

I see your still concerned about how to get him on a trailer. Thinking about it I can only come up with a couple of ways.

One way would be to get him in a sling attached to your loader bucket and then have enough slack in the chain or rope to have another person help "push" the bull inside the trailer once you get him to the back of it as you ease him down. May help to also have something that moves to try and drag him further inside once you get him in or partially in.

Second choice would be just putting him on a flat-bed trailer using a hip lift or whatever else you have to use. I had a neighbor that got one heck of a great lifting strap from some government surplus auction that was used I guess during WWII to load donkeys onto ships and it sure worked good for lifting cattle. Once on the flat-bed ratchet strap him down good and be sure and tie his legs together in case divine intervention takes place on your trip and he decides to get up. Only problem with this route is if he does get better you will need to go back home and get another trailer but from the sounds of things don't sound like he would be going home right away anyway. I'd also try and keep him covered for the trip and something over his head may keep him calmer (don't know for sure on that as I've never tried it).

Is your local vet totally out of ideas on what to do with him? I'd sure call the vet school first before making the trip.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

J

chiefgriz":3p6y4yya said:
Wiggles, if you ask caustic, he will tell you exactly where to aim the bullet. As for me, good luck on the recovery. Always a good thing to save animal if possible.

If it has hair I can get in a trailer.

Caustic Burno":3333cltn said:
chiefgriz":3333cltn said:

If it has hair I can get in a trailer.

How would you like to be one of caustics kids.. If I was, you can bet I'd keep a razor handy in case I ever got sick.

No worming done recently. As for the trailer doubtful. Looks as if he is getting worse today. Breathing hard, but did eat and drink. Still issues withthe cork screw. I am wondering if he has broken his hip or leg as when I move his right hip and leg it just grinds and pops. Any ideas? I do continue to exercise all of his legs, he does not fight me but will stiffen up the right leg sometimes. Tonight did notice that he could move his tail on his own, has not been doing that until today.
As for vets would not give you two cents for our current vets . Ideas do you have any? thanks

wiggles":2xvagupk said:
No worming done recently. As for the trailer doubtful. Looks as if he is getting worse today. Breathing hard, but did eat and drink. Still issues withthe cork screw. I am wondering if he has broken his hip or leg as when I move his right hip and leg it just grinds and pops. Any ideas? I do continue to exercise all of his legs, he does not fight me but will stiffen up the right leg sometimes. Tonight did notice that he could move his tail on his own, has not been doing that until today.
As for vets would not give you two cents for our current vets . Ideas do you have any? thanks

I could have loaded it with a horse and / or a winch - too late now.

Suspect this is the same animal that you have on another thread.

Time for the bullet was a few days ago - doing it a favour.

Bez!

wiggles":334cbxia said:

The vet has not given you any idea what could be wrong?

NO the vet has not said crap all he has done is stand and look at him and say you need to roll him and give steriod shot, and the cork screw of coarse. Have not figured what I paid him for I think I could of done that without a degree. No offense to the vets whom really care and want to help ot there.
As for the sling, I tried the carpet scraps and all they did was tear. But he did try and stand on his front legs when we rolled him to his belly today.
Hate to spend $600 to get a sling to stand him and then still have to put him down.

To lift a really heavy animal use a piece of old conveyor belt. At the ends use 2x4 on both sides of the belt bolted through really tight in several places. Fasten the ropes to the 2x4's that will keep the belt from ripping.

my dad took old tires and cut the rubber to make his sling

he basically made an H shape that fits under the cow out of the rubber (the tread part) and then bolted the pieces together with nuts and bolts - then it is lifted between 2 tractor loaders one at the head and the other at the rear. it attaches with big eye bolts

works pretty good other than having to watch that it doesn't slip together when you are raising the cow. Helps to have a person on each tractor but it can be done with one person going up a little at a time with each of the tractors

I wanted to up date everyone who has been so helpful. I had to put Jeb down night before last. HE was not getting any better even tho I wanted him to. It is a great loss but one I know comes with the activity.
To those of you who thought I should of done it sooner, you were most likely right but I had to try I wuld not be human if I did not. I have to big of soft herat to just cut and run.
As for the slings ect. I am makeing copy of all the ideas should I ever have need of it again. And I hope I don't.
Again THANKS to all of you you are great people who share ideas with strangers. Keep it up.
Dianea

Really sorry to hear about your bull... Ever figure out what was actually wrong with him to being with?

No we never did find out what was wrong with him, but to begin with I belive I had a vet who did not give a flying fig. Guess what I am in the market for a new vet one who will actually care for my animals.
Thanks for asking

Latest posts