New Acquisition

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
We had another exciting acquisition to the herd today. As someone who is breeding for maternal, feed-efficient Angus that can excel in tough environments, I have come to admire from a distance breeding programs like Shoshone, Wye, and Ohlde. With the purchase of OCC Revolution Rose 807Z (17479647), we have now added strong examples of all of these breeding programs. I'm looking forward to getting her linebred Emblazon bull calf on the ground and hoping he turns out to be a future herdsire here. We may be flushing her to our Barrage of Wye bull this spring. This pic doesn't do justice to how fleshy and powerful this cow is within a moderate frame.

Your definitely sticking to your plan and I think you made a nice upgrade with that cow. A lot of people preach moderate frame cows, and 1400+ is not very moderate in my way of thinking. More folks need to breed cattle to their market, and you have that figured out. Keep up the good work.

a meaty, stocky 1400 lb cow is just what I call perfect.. ain't no mistaking it for a mini, capable of weaning the same calf as the 1800'er... I have many in that size range and am striving for more.. This one is right around 1400

Nesikep":27d8i467 said:
a meaty, stocky 1400 lb cow is just what I call perfect.. ain't no mistaking it for a mini, capable of weaning the same calf as the 1800'er... I have many in that size range and am striving for more.. This one is right around 1400

Artesianspringsfarm's has smaller frame size cows than you. But his steers grow to his market easily and in timely fashion. I wish he'd expand on the way and how he markets his cattle. Trust me he's got it going on, and is very modest.

Nesikep":2qdqkzpl said:

Nesi I agree with you and so do the feeder buyers I talk too. I'm shooting for about the same type of cow as you are. I do require at least a frame 5.0

That's about my lowest frame score I want as well.. and not much over 6. Her Limo sired daughter is a long yearling bred heifer now and already her size (not her weight yet).. I'm thinking she might be bigger than my ideal.
Seems like the butcher buyers don't like small cows at all.. I had a 1200 lb Frame 4ish 4 year old cow, got way less per pound than a Frame 7 skinny bonerack that was 14 years old!

Nesi I agree I like a frame 5.0-6.0 will give a little on the top but like to keep them in or close to that range. Here if a feeder is a 5.0 or less they get docked heavily. The feeders like the taller, stretchier cattle here.

elkwc":2ee6gm68 said:
Nesi I agree I like a frame 5.0-6.0 will give a little on the top but like to keep them in or close to that range. Here if a feeder is a 5.0 or less they get docked heavily. The feeders like the taller, stretchier cattle here.

You don't eat the legs. In Florida the taller and longer the better. But the cattle had to hustle for a living and never seen a bale of hay. When you direct market to the public your going for marble which equals a better tasting and more tender piece of beef.
Believe it or not you can actually breed cattle for tenderness, marble and back fat. And then if you pay close attention to the breeding, you can take it one step further and do it ALL on grass and hay only. The cattle cost more dollars up front but the rewards are no input cost besides hay, and a premium price for your product. Not being able to supply your retail market at a premium plus price is sure a nice problem to have.

True Grit Farms":3isfzgjg said:
elkwc":3isfzgjg said:

You don't eat the legs. In Florida the taller and longer the better. But the cattle had to hustle for a living and never seen a bale of hay. When you direct market to the public your going for marble which equals a better tasting and more tender piece of beef.
Believe it or not you can actually breed cattle for tenderness, marble and back fat. And then if you pay close attention to the breeding, you can take it one step further and do it ALL on grass and hay only. The cattle cost more dollars up front but the rewards are no input cost besides hay, and a premium price for your product. Not being able to supply your retail market at a premium plus price is sure a nice problem to have.

No you don't. First the feeder buyers here demand a frame 5.0 or higher. Second our environment and terrain demands more leg in order to utilize our pasture. We each have to raise what will make us the most money. As my uncle a great cattleman that recently passed away that managed a 45,000 acre ranch with one hand always said he didn't have time to ride around and pull the short legged cattle off of high center on a large rock everyday.

True Grit Farms":1wpczd7z said:
Nesikep":1wpczd7z said:

Artesianspringsfarm's has smaller frame size cows than you. But his steers grow to his market easily and in timely fashion. I wish he'd expand on the way and how he markets his cattle. Trust me he's got it going on, and is very modest.

Thanks Nesi and TG for the kind words. Vince, I'm an open book. Ask whatever you want to know and I'll try to help. I do breed for the kind of cow that works for my goal which is maternal cows that also have calves that finish well on grass. I have not come close to arriving, but I do have goals for how to keep improving. I think some of the OCC influence may help, but I could also be wrong. I will keep some of my most maternal cows strictly maternal but am looking forward to trying some other things along the way.

Latest posts