Never Ending

Help Support CattleToday:

How can they ever be controlled? Or can they?
Poison using sodium nitrate.
It's out there and has been tested. The opposition to using it got it shutdown.
Just need more golf courses and parks tore up and approval will come quickly.
You would have to use the approved feeder that TAMU tested to make sure you only targeted the hogs.
The bait also turned the meat blue so anyone taking one would know they had ingested a lethal dose of sodium nitrate for a hog.

Poison using sodium nitrate.
It's out there and has been tested. The opposition to using it got it shutdown.
Just need more golf courses and parks tore up and approval will come quickly.
You would have to use the approved feeder that TAMU tested to make sure you only targeted the hogs.
The bait also turned the meat blue so anyone taking one would know they had ingested a lethal dose of sodium nitrate for a hog.

I was at a TSCRA meeting a few years ago and the speaker was someone from the Ag commissioners office in (The People's Republic of) Austin. He said they were starting to have trouble with hogs in the local neighborhoods, and on a golf course. They people asked his office for help. During the discussion he was asked what would be done with the hogs. He replied that they would be harvested for meat.

The response was "Oh no! Can't you re-home them, or something?"

Today's mentality, don't do anything about a problem, just relocate it and make it someone else's problem.
That's how they ended up on the golf course to begin with. Got run out of someone's pasture or crop field and ended up on the 7th green where the grass and water was plentiful...

Honest question. How much does deer feeding add to the problem?
I wouldn't say it adds much, as most people are lazy so they only have their feeders full for four months or so per year. They'll eat corn and deer feeds but they root as much as they do anything. Can help pattern them, though, I do up hog specific baits to start a spot then I hit them with regular corn thereafter.

Honest question. How much does deer feeding add to the problem?
A lot by sling feeders in the sows raise bigger litter . You could eliminate every feeder and still be eat up by hogs, their that efficient.
The protein feeders if set up right get deer .
99% of hogs can't feed out of a nozzle 38" off the ground.
The deer drop a little not much.
Secondly fence the feeder in with hog panels stops the supplementing.

I would think that a high quality food source would increase reproduction.
Might would and maybe does, somewhat. They are natural high reproducers anyway, with staggeringly high survival rates. The sow will be under a year old the first time she breeds, usually, and will breed back on time, every time. I can't say that Joe Banker's feeder he puts corn in the week before the opener down at his beer lease is really making or breaking us here.

From the amount spent by hunters in my state, ''joe'' would feed more than once a season on a lease. What is the total season length in Texas including both bow and gun?

From the amount spent by hunters in my state, ''joe'' would feed more than once a season on a lease. What is the total season length in Texas including both bow and gun?
Archery opens in September, rifle opens in mid November and closes out at January 1st, and muzzleloader went to the 15th of January this year.

Might would and maybe does, somewhat. They are natural high reproducers anyway, with staggeringly high survival rates. The sow will be under a year old the first time she breeds, usually, and will breed back on time, every time. I can't say that Joe Banker's feeder he puts corn in the week before the opener down at his beer lease is really making or breaking us here.
You have old Joe filling the feeder only before the opener. That imply s once. You are not the only one that can pick nits.

You have old Joe filling the feeder only before the opener. That imply s once. You are not the only one that can pick nits.
Unless the feeder runs out and he refills it before the end of season... especially seeing as how the smaller ones often will... tell them to fetch up your meds or something, you came looking to be an ass and I'm just the harbinger of karma returning the favor.

And how dedicated folks are varies, but most folks I know only really keep their feeders filled right before and during the season. How that translates to "once" I don't know, but those were your words.
The 7K acre lease next to me requires they feed year round.
It has made a huge difference .
Those city hunters love hunting hogs.
This is a typical litter.
3F889378-7CAF-4A52-A9F9-045DE76EB5DF.jpeg7D8C5944-6673-4E2F-9064-704485D1EBDE.jpeg
Nine in the top 11 in the bottom.

Latest posts