Neighbors dogs killed calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
Went to the barn to feed Sunday morning and found two dogs tearing away at a week old heifer calf. They had already killed it. Got a deputy over to the farm who seemed totally unconcerned. I told the neighbor that he could kill the dogs or turn them over to me. No dice. I told him then that if they were caught back on me they were dead dogs. He said he would put them up and keep them up. I went back Sunday evening to find them stalking another calf about 2 weeks old. Now the neighbor has one dog.The old .22-250 does a nice job.He will have none this afternoon. South central bell has the right idea, "Reach out and touch someone."

Sorry about your losses. I think that the dog owner should have to compensate you financially for your losses, but that is JMHO. I bet he would keep his dogs put up then. If they kill calves, what would they do to kids? Shoot the other one. I think you will be doing your neighbors a favor.

I lost a lamb to strays two years ago. We have been shooting at dogs since. I have noticed fewer dogs. Deputy told me that if they were on my place acting aggressively I could shoot them.

ctlbaron":1wagyixe said:
Went to the barn to feed Sunday morning and found two dogs tearing away at a week old heifer calf. They had already killed it. Got a deputy over to the farm who seemed totally unconcerned. I told the neighbor that he could kill the dogs or turn them over to me. No dice. I told him then that if they were caught back on me they were dead dogs. He said he would put them up and keep them up. I went back Sunday evening to find them stalking another calf about 2 weeks old. Now the neighbor has one dog.The old .22-250 does a nice job.He will have none this afternoon. South central bell has the right idea, "Reach out and touch someone."
Baron, I can sympathize with what you had happen.The irresponsible pet owners are a pain. Tennessee has a leash law, did the Deputy know that? I know that in our County, if Dogs get on your property, and threaten any type of Stock, they are fair game.About all you can do is sue the neighbor for damages. You'll lose a relationship with a neighbor, but then again, they broke the law and let their Dogs run loose.If they were a good neighbor, they'd been penned up. It's a no win situation. Just practice safe 'SSS"

Hopefully you got rid of the antagonizer and the other dog will not be so brave now. That fresh blood will be hard to resist though. Good hunting.

A few years ago we had a dog problem in our neighborhood. The other neighbors dogs were tearing up trash and chasing & killing chickens. My dog is always on a chain because she used to attack our chickens, sons first dog couldn't kill it, but lives on chain and is fine. Well we let her off once in a while when kids were out in yard, well the neighbor with the trouble daughter called our dog across the street and he shot her point blank. I called sherriff and we took dog to vet, she is still alive today. They told me to go to Constable and swear out a warrent and we went to court and the judge put him on probation he paid court cost and vet bill. The judge said it was his resposibility but even if it had been my dog if he had sworn the warrent instead of shooting her he would have gotten damages.
So bypass the sherriff and since it is on record now, you can do the warrent your self. GOOD LUCK!

ctlbaron, I feel your pain. Years ago we had a pack kill two and injure three to the point we had to shoot them. My dad caught the dogs in the field that next evening and shot two and wounded one. The owner sued, we counter sued. We got $2500 for the five calves, the dog owner got nothing. This was back when beef was selling for 20 to 30 cents a pound and calves weighed maybe 300 pounds. I suspect the judge didn't think much about the dogs killing our stock. He also ordered the dog that got away to be put down. This was back in the 60's. Still today if someones dogs kill or injure my stock, I would hope to recoup the loss if I had proof.

Had a couple of strange dogs wandering around the cows with calves a couple of weks back. Asked the neighbor if he knew how had acouple of pyrenes looking dogs. He talked to the owner and the next day the owner gave me a box of ammunition and told me to shoot them if they showed back up

ctlbaron":3smqjylx said:
if i found them like you did i might have shot them then and there and threw the S.O.B'S in his yard thats a heck of a lick too take from a worthless neighbor

There is a guy out there in the county that regularly hangs them on his fence as if they were coyotes. I think it is a bit extreme but he certainly gets his point out. SSS would have been the best way to go with those dogs.

Good for you Baron. Any respectable dog owner (ie country folk) knows that once a dog starts running the country, he keeps doing it. Not too many people are going to keep poochy chained up for the rest of his natural born life...and when he gets the chance, he will be gone again. Blow a good size whole through that other one. We have good responsible nearby neighbours that take their dogs out and pop them at the first signs of running. Some say it is the dog owners responsibility, but I don't think those people have caught the neighbour's dog chewing on a calf. At that point, the dog is fair game. Here's to sunny skies, no wind and a well sighted scope. :drink: :D

Sorry about your loss. I missed that scare a couple weeks ago. Saw a strange dog walking our fence line. Didn't recognize it as any of the neighbors. I went to go get hubby but it was gone by the time we got back there. Made me nervous for a bit but we never lost anything.

:shock: The neighbors husky went and killed the other neighbors 4-H pigs. The sheriff came out and promptly shot
the pooch grave yard dead. The owner of the dog brought
their child over to fetch the dead pooch. The owner was upset
that the sheriff had shot and killed the dog. Kudos to the sheriff. I live in a rural county that will not stand for killer dogs! ;-)

You will not stop dogs from killing livestock other than killing the dog.
Dogs are going to be dogs and they can cover an amazing amount ot territory a night. Neighbor took out 2 running calfs in my back pasture a week ago, I took out one of two others killing chickens.
If you have one female that is fixed she will stay home, male dog is going to roam with two things on his mind fighting and
The pack mentality will take over every time thats why I use either a big bore or buckshot I don't want them wounded but dead.

Latest posts