Neighbor's cattle profits

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh for crying out loud, if it was that damn easy to make money in the cattle business banks would be throwing money a folks left and right to help em get started, people with deep pockets would have cattle on every hill. :lol:
The school of hard knocks is about to be in session for some of you. Thank God for a Dad with experience and wisdom or I'd have been in a heap of trouble. It looks dam easy on paper to anyone starting out, school is in session.

Isomade":37p1kwtw said:
Oh for crying out loud, if it was that be nice easy to make money in the cattle business banks would be throwing money a folks left and right to help em get started, people with deep pockets would have cattle on every hill. :lol:
The school of hard knocks is about to be in session for some of you. Thank God for a Dad with experience and wisdom or I'd have been in a heap of trouble. It looks dam easy on paper to anyone starting out, school is in session.
THANKYOU ISO ,YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. :tiphat:

Hey, but does it all matter, 20 females is a nice hobby, and what hobby doesn't cost you heaps of money. At least with cattle there is usually a pay day. That $14000 return is a nice lump sum to get in one hit, sort of like compulsory saving. Most of us in a situation like this are not overly concerned about the input, it is our entertainment. Pay day is just a nice bonus.
Ken

To me the best thing about them is them. My business owns them so it helps me charge rent to the cattle and etc,. But one thing that helps some people, is they are a good way to gather up money that you would not have save up on your own. JMHO I always figure I've got $400 in a calf the day his mom breeds back,then I start charging the next one.

Isomade":2xrfc3kt said:
Oh for crying out loud, if it was that be nice easy to make money in the cattle business banks would be throwing money a folks left and right to help em get started, people with deep pockets would have cattle on every hill. :lol:

Aint that the truth. The test is going to be given before the lesson.
Haven't seen the figures in a couple of years the national average was a 100 dollar's a head profit a year.

mwj":8bmr3jww said:
Figure in the land cost to run them and we will talk about the profit :cowboy: Run out and buy or lease a couple of sections and buy you some of them ''dirt cheap'' pairs and you can get rich along with your neighbor.
Come on now....EVERYONE knows land has been an investment of its own for 40 years. Agriculture is just a tool used to reduce taxes in order to be able to afford to own it.

I've started my heard 5 years ago from scratch, equipment, cows, everything. I am just now preparing to sell 3 yearling bulls which would be my first income beside some extra hay I've had. On the flip side we have had freezer beef, obtained hay equipment which was all purchased cash, so it is virtually impossible to have a true cost. And I know of noone who keeps track of their actual time, that's right I forgot to log the time that I spent checking on a cow this morning to see if she calved.

So, it appears that some feel that you don't make much money with cattle, and if you think you do ok, you are wrong. My grandfather must have been cheating. He passed away in the 80s, but he ran cattle on this farm for 50 years and not only made a living, but apparently made good money, I would go as far as to say they were fairly wealthy by the 70s. Neither he nor my grandmother worked public work. They were very frugal and didn't spend much. He bought a Ferguson tractor and a few pieces of equipment in the 50s and retained those the rest of his life. I can think of several old farmers from that generation who were known to have a lot of money and never did anything but farm. Have times now changed to the point one can't make anything?

herofan,
Your neighbor did good. Prices were pretty good last year.
I keep real close records of input costs and return. The number I sold was a few more than your neighbor. Best I could determine my net profit was right @ 250.00 per head.

fitz

herofan":1h78v8e3 said:
So, it appears that some feel that you don't make much money with cattle, and if you think you do ok, you are wrong. My grandfather must have been cheating. He passed away in the 80s, but he ran cattle on this farm for 50 years and not only made a living, but apparently made good money, I would go as far as to say they were fairly wealthy by the 70s. Neither he nor my grandmother worked public work. They were very frugal and didn't spend much. He bought a Ferguson tractor and a few pieces of equipment in the 50s and retained those the rest of his life. I can think of several old farmers from that generation who were known to have a lot of money and never did anything but farm. Have times now changed to t9he point one can't make anything?
herofan":1h78v8e3 said:
So, it appears that some feel that you don't make much money with cattle, and if you think you do ok, you are wrong. My grandfather must have been cheating. He passed away in the 80s, but he ran cattle on this farm for 50 years and not only made a living, but apparently made good money, I would go as far as to say they were fairly wealthy by the 70s. Neither he nor my grandmother worked public work. They were very frugal and didn't spend much. He bought a Ferguson tractor and a few pieces of equipment in the 50s and retained those the rest of his life. I can think of several old farmers from that generation who were known to have a lot of money and never did anything but farm. Have times now changed to the point one can't make anything?

My grandparents were the same way but there needs and wants were alot different than mine they stayed home all week didnt have air condition my kids probably spend more on cokes in a week than my grandmother spent at the grocery store, she thought

herofan

Do not let the naysayers here dissuade you from thinking you cannot make a profit from cattle. The profit doesn't have to be the $100/head often referenced either. Getting the inputs costs under control is what it takes. I have had numerous private messages regarding the numbers I have posted/referenced on this site. In private I have answered those questions and I also post on another site most of what I do. Yes, I know how to keep records and to recognize my overhead expenses. The monies your neighbor mentioned reflects to me that he knows how to start making money but has a long ways to go to maximize his potential earnings. When he realizes how much he spends on items he does not have to have he can cut out a lot more overhead. I might add the my family never had any cattle nor did any of the last generation farm or own farm or ranch land. There were no inheritances of consequence either. Hang in there and you too will make money!

salebarn junkie":h33aju0k said:
herofan":h33aju0k said:
So, it appears that some feel that you don't make much money with cattle, and if you think you do ok, you are wrong. My grandfather must have been cheating. He passed away in the 80s, but he ran cattle on this farm for 50 years and not only made a living, but apparently made good money, I would go as far as to say they were fairly wealthy by the 70s. Neither he nor my grandmother worked public work. They were very frugal and didn't spend much. He bought a Ferguson tractor and a few pieces of equipment in the 50s and retained those the rest of his life. I can think of several old farmers from that generation who were known to have a lot of money and never did anything but farm. Have times now changed to t9he point one can't make anything?
herofan":h33aju0k said:

My grandparents were the same way but there needs and wants were alot different than mine they stayed home all week didnt have air condition my kids probably spend more on cokes in a week than my grandmother spent at the grocery store, she thought

Oh, I can't disagree with that one bit. My mother often joked that my grandparents would "skin a nat for it's hide if they thought they could sell it for 5 cents." I'm somewhat the modern version of them. I'm more frugal than most in my everyday life, and I'm sure that spills over into my farming. I don't have new tractors, trucks, and equipment, nor do I plan to buy any soon.; I'm not making payments on anything. I don't have new mineral feeders, we still have a couple of wooden mineral feeders that my dad made in the 1950s. I don't even have a four-wheeler like most other farmers. I'm sure most farmers are pumping a lot of money into the farm that I simply don't.

agmantoo":h33aju0k said:
herofan

Do not let the naysayers here dissuade you from thinking you cannot make a profit from cattle. The profit doesn't have to be the $100/head often referenced either. Getting the inputs costs under control is what it takes. I have had numerous private messages regarding the numbers I have posted/referenced on this site. In private I have answered those questions and I also post on another site most of what I do. Yes, I know how to keep records and to recognize my overhead expenses. The monies your neighbor mentioned reflects to me that he knows how to start making money but has a long ways to go to maximize his potential earnings. When he realizes how much he spends on items he does not have to have he can cut out a lot more overhead. I might add the my family never had any cattle nor did any of the last generation farm or own farm or ranch land. There were no inheritances of consequence either. Hang in there and you too will make money!

Thanks, your comments make a lot of sense to me.

I inherited land, bought land and lease land for the property taxes and upkeep. I do own some new equipment but I custom bale hay and have been buying tractors and equipment before I bought the first cow. I have a good job and never intend on cattle or hay baling to be my sole income, its just something I love doing. I grew up farming and raising cattle and yes I have seen plenty of folks make a profit off of cattle. They can even pay for new tractors and trucks. Cattle and especially your land have to be managed for a profit.

Caustic Burno":1lsweb6b said:
With some of these huge profit's qouted on here I don't understand why you are not the new XIT or King Ranch.

There's a thought, but I'm not into that big of an operation.

For all those here who apparently aren't making much profit, why do you do it? Is it totally for the enjoyment? Doesn't it get frustrating year after year with so little profits? I understand doing it for enjoyment, but I only have 16 head. I can't imagine having a large number just for enjoyment. that sounds like a lot of work for only $100 a head.

herofan":332acmrx said:
Caustic Burno":332acmrx said:
With some of these huge profit's qouted on here I don't understand why you are not the new XIT or King Ranch.

There's a thought, but I'm not into that big of an operation.

For all those here who apparently aren't making much profit, why do you do it? Is it totally for the enjoyment? Doesn't it get frustrating year after year with so little profits? I understand doing it for enjoyment, but I only have 16 head. I can't imagine having a large number just for enjoyment. that sounds like a lot of work for only $100 a head.

The profit you posted of your neighbor's is richer than three feet up a bull's ass.
That was the national average as per the USDA I qouted you from several years back I have no clue what the average is today it is not near what you qouted. Most people actually run this like a business and keep track of input cost not just salebarn check's. We are one of the few businesses that buy retail and sale wholesale the only control your input cost.
My profit's per cow are running around 300 dollars per year this year. We are seeing price's like we have never seen before and this too shall pass if you stay in this long enough.

Latest posts