Needing to abort a heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

LRAF

Reaction score
So when my daughter fed her heifer last night she failed to latch any gates afterwards. So this morning I get up to find one of her heifers she plans on showing in full blown heat being mounted by the herd bull. She is only 9 months old so a full term pregnancy isn't an option. My question is should I just do 5cc of lutalyse in about a week or do a Lut Dex combination? Never had to abort one before so just wondering what you guys have done/used.

Lutalyse will be sufficient but give her about 14 days and start observing for signs of heat a couple of days later. At that stage dexamethasone won't have any effect.

Ken

Our vet says after 3weeks to give the lute. I have never been lucky enough to know only done lute once or twice and pulled the rest. I would rather so the shot !!

My Vet said wait a week and give Lut. I figured two would be sufficient

I would wait longer than one week just to be sure. One week SHOULD work on a heifer but is to short for a cow and you want to make sure she has a cl for the lut to work on and the extra two days is good insurance. Anything over nine days should work. If that doesn't fit into your schedule don't sweat it to much. Lut is highly effective up until about four months so if you have to put it off for a while it still works. I wouldn't wait to long as it's easier on the heifer to get rid of a short bred calf. If you don't see a heat after the first shot give her a second dose in two weeks.

cow pollinater":vdia8p9u said:
I would wait longer than one week just to be sure. One week SHOULD work on a heifer but is to short for a cow and you want to make sure she has a cl for the lut to work on and the extra two days is good insurance. Anything over nine days should work. If that doesn't fit into your schedule don't sweat it to much. Lut is highly effective up until about four months so if you have to put it off for a while it still works. I wouldn't wait to long as it's easier on the heifer to get rid of a short bred calf. If you don't see a heat after the first shot give her a second dose in two weeks.
In a Lute/dex combination what would the dosage of the dex be?

"In a Lute/dex combination what would the dosage of the dex be?"

20 mg of Dexamethasone. If you have Dex 2 (2mg/ml) that means 10cc; If you have Dex 5 (5mg/ml) you need 4 cc.

The combination is used mostly during the later stages of pregnancy.

Latest posts